Question on chrome side covers...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
In my quest to find a replacement cover for the one I lost off of my 1500, I have found I really only have 2 choices. Get a new set of unpainted covers and paint one(or both), or go with a chrome set. Not really diggin the idea of putting any more chrome on this bike....I think it has just the right amount as is, BUT....I'm kinda stuck here. Buying the set of raw unpainted covers would require buying paint to complete them, which would add another $80 to the almost $200 price of the raw covers. Does anyone here have a 1500 with the chrome covers, and if so, could you post a pic of the bike with them on? Just need to get an idea of how they look before pulling the trigger on a set for mine. In my head, I see too much chrome on the side, which would break up the swoopiness of the stock body panels. Then again, it's MY head, so.... :whistling:

Do you have anyone near you that can put color in a spray can?

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

$80 for ONE spray bomb("kit") in the correct color, with a can of clear and primer (A pint of the correct color is over $150, and I can spray it myself). Add the spray bomb that to almost $200 for a set of new unpainted covers, and we're looking at almost $300....just can't justify that. I'd be willing to pay $100 or so for one the right color, preferably less, but it seems that all I can find are for the LEFT side. I can find plenty of those, but nothing for the right side. :fiddle:

I just looked on ebay and saw quite a few of them offered on there. If you're lucky, you might even be able to find one in the color you need. They do seem to be a little pricey, but that's option #3 I think.

We do it where I work,most cans of color are 20 dollarish,look for a spraymax dealer near you

[url=https://classicgoldwings.us/viewtopic.php?p=219153#p219153:g3t93qx2 said:
desertrefugee » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:07 pm[/url]":g3t93qx2]
I just looked on ebay and saw quite a few of them offered on there. If you're lucky, you might even be able to find one in the color you need. They do seem to be a little pricey, but that's option #3 I think.

I've had a search goin on fleabay for two weeks or more....NOTHING for the right side cover....plenty for the left. :head bang:
I found a feller on the Goldwing Riders page on flakebook that is parting out his after a face-off with a deer. It's the wrong color, but the price is good enough to make painting it reasonable. Done deal. :yes:

Used side cover bought/paid for, waiting for the feller to ship next day or two, $85. Correct color paint kit ordered, also, $95 tt&l.(all thru paypal so I should be covered) :Egyptian:

I'll hafta fill in the three holes for the chrome guard thingy, then sand/paint/install. All totaled, I'll be out $183....far less than any other route I could take, so I'm gud wid dat. Won't have the added expense of the two emblems, either. :mrgreen:

Good score. When you paint I'd remove the emblems, stuck on with double sided tape. Clean the backside of the emblems then double tape back on. I had to buy the emblems for my 1500 - ouch, but looks good. ABS cement will fill in the holes nicely, put tape on the over the holes on the viewing side to keep the cement contained. A good scuff in that area with some adhesion promoter and paint will bond. If the finish is good, recommend 800 grit wet sand to take the sheen off, grey scrubby, rubbing alcohol - does not build up a static charge, tack cloth then paint. I primed the side panels and most others. Worked well for my 1500 paint job. Good luck.

Thanks Ernest. The paint kit I bought comes with sandpaper, primer, tape, tack cloths, prep-wipes, and even cutting compound to finish it all off. I've heard good results from other riders using the Colorrite products. Considering welding up the holes, but I'll wait and see how large they are first. Might just use a little Q-Bond to fill them in. We shall see.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219187#p219187:2kanbpa7 said:
AApple » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:48 am[/url]":2kanbpa7]
Thanks Ernest. The paint kit I bought comes with sandpaper, primer, tape, tack cloths, prep-wipes, and even cutting compound to finish it all off. I've heard good results from other riders using the Colorrite products. Considering welding up the holes, but I'll wait and see how large they are first. Might just use a little Q-Bond to fill them in. We shall see.
:good:

Side cover and paint kit finally arrived yesterday! I purchased some fishing "leader line" to attach the covers to the bike, so they won't fly away anymore. Leader lines are extremely cheap compared to replacement plastics! $3 got me a package of 10, in several different lengths and "test" weights(20lbs, 30lbs, etc). Might even add them to the saddlebag lids & side covers on the 1100, just for spits and grins.

image.php

I'm going to TRY to get the side cover ready for painting this weekend....still need to fill in the 3 holes for the chrome rail on it, sand and paint. Paint kit even came with a test panel to spray to make sure the color is the way it needs to be. Kewl. To be continued... :mrgreen:

Interesting,please post a pic on how you attach the leader.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219315#p219315:1bba8odq said:
Dusterdude » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:37 am[/url]":1bba8odq]

:popcorn: :popcorn:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.us/viewtopic.php?p=219315#p219315:2e5m2uhs said:
Dusterdude » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:37 pm[/url]":2e5m2uhs]

The "new" side cover has a railing bolted to it. I temporarily used one of the studs/nuts on it to attach one end of the leader to the cover, and then fished(no pun intended) the other end thru the frame on the bike. The leader lines have a clasp on one end that can be opened/closed. Bike is at the shop right now or I would snap a quick pic. I can do it tomorrow, tho. :mrgreen:
I'll document the paint process, and attaching the leaders to the covers permanently when I get to that project. :yes:

Here's a pic of my TRO..."Temporary Restraining Object" to keep the side cover from disappearing.

image.php

Latest posts