Side Cover rehab

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
Started the rehab/paint on the "new" side cover today.
Started by removing the goofy chrome railing that was on it.

One of the attaching points was already broken off, and I twisted the bolt off in another. Got it off anyway.

Used my heat gun to soften the adhesive holding the emblems on, and removed them. I filled the three railing holes with my plastic welder...sorry, no pics of that. :doh:

Used some Adhesive remover to get the gummy crap off from the emblems, and it worked well with a Scotch-Brite pad to remove the pin stripping....which was actual paint, not tape!

Once I had the three holes filled in to my liking, I filed/sanded the outside to smooth the surface, and then shot a couple coats of primer on, just to see how my repairs looked. Came out quite nicely, if I do say so myself.

I came up with a decent solution on how to install my fishing leader line safety cables. Drilled a small hole into the upper front grommet hole of the cover. Then got a cotter pin, and put one loop of the leader line into the center of the cotter pin. Then the cotter pin went thru the hole in the cover, and the ends bent over. I double-checked to make sure the cotter pin would not interfere with the attaching pin on the bike fitting into the grommet, and holding firm.

(you can kinda see how I filled in/welded the three holes from this side)

Hopefully I can finish the bodywerk(sanding,etc) next weekend, and get some color on it. Here's the kit I got from Color Rite. :beg:

Got a little more done on the cover today. Sanded the primer down, and used my "Fill & Glaze" to fill in some small pinholes in the plastic welds, and a couple of file gouges(ooops).

After letting the spot putty cure out, a lil sanding got me in a good condition to be almost finished with the bodywerk part...

Then it's a new coat of primer, and some light sanding to confirm the repairs are good for final paint.

I hope to be able to squirt the color on next weekend, and after letting that cure all week, do the clear coat weekend after next....assuming the werld doesn't end between now and then...
Here's what the backside of the cover looks like with the holes welded up. It ain't purdy, but no-one but me will see it anyway. I may paint the backside with a flat black just to help with that, but who knows?

To be continued... :yes:

Good progress and prep of the side panel.

Painting the backside is a great idea. Didn't do the 1500, but I have done the 1200 body panels with SEM Trim black:
Panels Backside Painted.jpg
Sanded the back of the panels, applied two light coats of an adhesion promoter, then the black. ABS has a release agent in it that prevents paint from sticking. May not need it but doesn't hurt to spray a couple of coats. Be careful, making one body panel pretty and fresh looking could require a bike make over. Just saying! :music: :music:

That's happened to me, but luckily with the primer. May I suggest that in your work you provide and attachment point for a lanyard? I see too many requests for replacement side covers for those that blew off.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219598#p219598:35hvsmjz said:
pidjones » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:52 pm[/url]":35hvsmjz]
.... May I suggest that in your work you provide and attachment point for a lanyard? I see too many requests for replacement side covers for those that blew off.

Already done...see pics above...

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who gets an OOPS, and yes it's annoying. Had this happen the first time I tried to spray the 1500, had paint all over the place. Had to sand down quite a few pieces.

I had one coat of color on. Going for the second coat, and the damn spray tip stuck OPEN. I tried removing the spray tip, and the friggin paint kept comin out of the top of the can! :rant: :sensored: :rant: I attempted to get a video of it so I could send it along with a complaint to Colorite, but I was afraid to get paint all over my phone.... :head bang:

Spray cans can be an issue :head bang: . Having learned to use a spray gun this year, highly recommend. An inexpensive HF gun at approximately $20.00 USD, with a 0.8 mm nozzle is good value and does a decent job. 1/4 or 1/2 pint of colour, reducer, clear and activator is approximately $70.00 USD. Even if you just spray the colour then use spray can for the clear it is still a good deal to use a spay gun. Spray gun is good for other home projects as well. When finished spraying, 1/2 cup of acetone (I use a lot of acetone because of this) through the spray gun to clean and ready for next colour. Take apart and clean before storage. I have the more expensive Meiji F55 similar to an Iawata LPH80 but use my Princess Auto (HF equivalent) $20.00 CDN mini spray guns at the same time. Once you get this side panel all sparkly, might have to keep going and do the rest to match. :hihihi:

Good luck. Cheers

1/2 pint of G165 Pearl Sierra Green color is $89.40, not including reducer. I have spray gun stuff, including two air brush rigs. Wasn't interested in doing a show finish on this one part to begin with....but I certainly wasn't interested in spitting a $38 can of paint everywhere, either. The damn trigger stuck down.....or so I thought. I pulled the spray head off the can, and the friggin paint was STILL spewing out of the can! I tried to video it so I could send a complaint to Colorite, but I was gunna get paint all over my phone, so I stopped. So pissed. It did finally quite spitting, and I was able to complete the job, clearcoat and all. Turned out fairly nice, except for the one glob that hit the cover I did not want to try to fix. More final pics to come. :fiddle:

Original left cover on top, my repaint on bottom....
image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.us/viewtopic.php?p=219620#p219620:24by6egr said:
Rednaxs60 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:11 pm[/url]":24by6egr]
Nice job, good match. Anyone gets close enough to see the "glob", run them over! :music:

:moped: :smilie_happy:
I imagine I'm the only one that will actually notice it, considering the location, but....it still sux.

Anyway....to continue the rehab saga, I sanded down the backside of the cover where I did the plastic welds, to smooth them out, then shot a couple coats of primer on the backside, just to make it look a little better.

I had to re-sand the front side to take care of a TINY little imperfection on one of the weld spots that I noticed. Sanded down, and re-glazed, then sanded and re-primered, and prepped for final color coat.....again. :whistling:
Once that was all done, and the primer dried, I scuffed it lightly, and started squirtin color on it. First coat was pretty light, and streaky....dint want to go too heavy on first coat.

Notice that the panel appears to be green in some pics, and blue in others. That's the pearl in the paint. The green shaded ones are also taken in the shade, while the ones that look more blue were in the sunlight. The rest of the bike does the same thing...it looks blue in bright sunlight.

Started squirtin the second coat, and that's when the malfunction happened. :head bang: :sensored: :Awe:

I did get the friggin spray bomb to STOP sprayin by itself, and was able to finish the color coat.

Once that was done, and had dried a sufficient amount of time, I shot the clear coat. I put 4 coats of clear on it in the end, and still wound up with a small dry spot on the panel. Not too bad, and again, not something anyone but me will ever notice. It will buff out anyway, but I'll hafta wait a week or so before I do that to give the paint time to fully cure out. With the cover up next to the bike in full sunlight, the color is an exact match, even tho some of the pics say different. :hihihi:

Now all I need to do(once the paint is dry & polished out) is install the emblems, and put the durn thing back on the bike! Still trying to decide what I want to use to mount the emblems....
And, of course, THIS shows up on fleabay just a few days ago.... :doh:

:fiddle:
Yesterday, I was going to rub the paint out on the cover, and be done with it. I decided to do a light wet sanding w/2000 paper to take some of the orange peel out. Got it smoothed out, but....went a wee bit too far, and apparently went down to the color in spots. Dadgummit! :head bang: So.....cleaned it up and shot 4 more coats of clear on it. No problems with that, so only need to let it cure for the week, and then just polish, no sanding this time. In the meantime, I'm going to try to paint the red color on the emblem, since it has faded to tan. I just can't quit while I'm ahead..... :nea:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219689#p219689:286qtlhz said:
AApple » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:23 am[/url]":286qtlhz]
:fiddle:
I just can't quit while I'm ahead..... :nea:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :salute:

So....the Goldwing emblem on the side cover doesn't have any red showing on it...looked like it was all gone, and I was gunna either put some tinted epoxy on it, or find a paint color that would work. Upon further examination, it appeared that the red portion was covered in old, dried wax. I spent a little time today trying to see if I could clean it out, and sure nuff, the red is still there, but rather than wax, it appears the red portion(enamel, I think) is just oxidized. I got a couple of sections cleaned out fairly well in the short time I messed with it, so I think it will clean up nicely in the end. :yes:

Here you can see the tan-ish looking stuff I thought might be dried wax.

A lil cleaner here.

Latest posts