Heading to the top of Oz

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
Six of my mates all bought adventure bikes to head up to Cape York the northern most tip of Australia. Four rode up last Monday week from Brisbane to Cairns with the last two flying up Friday due to work commitments as they had shipped there bikes up ahead of time. With a late cyclone being up in the top end we ( the jealous ones stuck at home) were sure that they wouldn’t be able to get through as it would be too wet with all the creek crossings too flooded. As it turned out they made great time and were all enjoying themselves immensely and were almost to Bamaga when two unfortunate incidents occurred. Both the fly ins ended up injuring themselves, one with a crushed/ broken foot and the other with a torn knee. Luckily there was a 4wd camping tour bus that was able to give them and their bikes a ride back to Cairns ( 2 day trip) so that they could have proper medical assistance.
The successful four

The injured boys are back in Cairns now, so it’s off to the hospital to get the full diagnosis and prognosis for the trip home ( to ride or fly).

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210031#p210031:29hpcwpu said:
PurpleGL1200I » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:12 pm[/url]":29hpcwpu]
Did the recent snow make any changes to the plans? I understand snow down under is quite rare.
We didn’t really get any snow in Queensland ( there was some in Applethorpe etc near the NSW border) but as the boys were North (closer to the equator) it only got colder the closer that they got to home ( 3 of them live in a 10 klm radius from my house). The majority are all home now except for the oldest rider who is waiting in Cairns for his Vstrom’s clutch to be repaired.