Yukon-Alaska 2019

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two more sleeps and off to Yukon/Alaska. Been prepping for this trip for the past 4 months. Taking the 1500, bit more room, and bought a trailer. Sonya has put together a detailed itinerary, but it is only a guide. Don't intend to let a schedule drive the trip - using it for what to see and possibly do.

This is our route:
Alaska Route.jpg

Mom and Dad did this quite some time ago and when I mentioned the trip to Mom she mentioned she was jealous, but commented on the "Signpost" in Watson Lake. Here's a link about it: https://explorenorth.com/articles/signpost.html

Mentioned in a different thread that I have the Delorme in-Reach Explorer for travelling, and for local trips because of cell phone dead zones. Friend went on a trip around BC with the local GWRRA chapter. One of the couples on an HD hit the shoulder and put the bike down. The couple thought they were alright, but not. The accident happened in a cell phone dead zone, one of the other riders had to ride on and find cell reception, took time and then wait for the emergency services to arrive. Not a lot of towns in the BC interior. Good reason to have the Explorer or a comparable unit.

Have new tires on the 1500, put an Austone taxi tire on the rear, Michelin Commander II on the front. Trip will be some 7000 Kms.

Electronics are a huge part of what we travel with. May not be able to charge at night especially if we camp so have 2-10,000 mah power packs coming with us.

Taking tenting gear as well just in case the inn is full when we want to stop. Tried some of those freeze dried food packs from Backpackers Pantry. Quite good, we tried the pasta primavera and the stroganoff sauce/egg noodles/beef & mushroom.

Lots to consider when heading into the north. Have read a lot of different threads and internet blogs about going north.

Here are some pics of bike/trailer:
Trailer 1.jpg
Trailer 2.jpg
Trailer 3.jpg
Told myself I would not tow a trailer, but for extended trips it will make the trip a bit easier. It is an N-Line trailer: https://n-line.com Got it out of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Made in Ohio. Like the profile and the single wheel concept. Have been riding around with it for the past 3 days - loaded/empty. The load balance is critical with the single wheel. If it is not, trailer feels like it wants to wobble, doesn't but you can tell something is off. Same width as the bike saddlebags. The trailer wheel is the front wheel off a Buell, 16 inch. Sonya mentioned that it's a great addition, not first when I mentioned it, but has since. She mentioned that because of the expense, we'll have to travel more so next year it's off to the east coast. The following year we are thinking down the west coast across to Florida, then up the Blue Ridge Parkway and back across Canada.

Gas is of concern, but Dawson Creek has some good info. Here is a gas info chart we got from up north:View attachment Yukon-Alaska Gas.pdf

Going to be one of those bucket list trips.

More to follow. Cheers

Not a fan of trailers or 3 wheelers but I do like these single wheel ones that stay inside the footprint of the bike. :good: Looks like you are both going to be having quite a lot of fun travelling around the countryside in the future. :salute:

Not a fan of trailers either, but sometimes have to make adjustments to accommodate. Plan A was to have a hitch rack, had one made in aluminum - 14X25 inches. Could have used it but there would be no room for extras, and on a four week trip two up, need some flexibility.

Did have a 2 wheeled trailer, sold it. Have always liked the single wheel concept so I went with this one, and it was delivered in time for the trip. Like the fact that it is no wider than the bike and goes exactly where the bike goes.

Had a friend follow me yesterday and comment on how the trailer was acting. Did highway speeds, and a lot of twisties. He mentioned that it just followed in behind, no wobbling (have learned to make sure the load is balanced), and leaned with the bike exactly as advertised. I was backing up into a space and he reminded me that the tire also has to be compensated for, I was just looking at the cargo box. There is no bounce at all, the rear shock works well on the third position.

Here are pics of the hitch assembly. The hitch comes with the trailer as it is custom for the trailer. This first one is a side profile. At low speeds it moves around the hitch pin:
Trailer 4.jpg
There are two ways to remove the trailer from the bike. You can take the entire receiver out, or remove the top bolt - black bolt on the swivel pin. Here is a top profile:
Trailer 5.jpg
The web site demonstrates the removal of the trailer, I have tried and done it but not so gracefully.

One more sleep, bike is 99% ready. Cheers

Excellent design which makes for an extremely attractive setup with your 1500 :good:

Day 1 started out well. Last minute packing and changing the placement of a few items. Headed out and caught the 0700 ferry to the mainland. Lovely breakfast buffet on these BC ferries. Would have taken the 0600 ferry, but no buffet, life's too short to not start off on a good note. Met up with a couple of friends who are off to Alberta to do some varmint shooting for some farmers. They travel a bit faster so were about an hour in front of us.

Not into the photo mode yet, but will get into the swing of things.

My friends followed me for a bit when we left the ferry, very complimentary of how the trailer was tracking behind the bike. Had a look at the tire track when the road was wet and only one track behind the bike.

First stop off the ferry was at Tims in Hope before the trek on the Coquihalla, quickest way to Kamloops. Stopped for fuel in Merritt. Cheapest gas so far at $1.179/litre, much better than the $1.379/litre in Victoria, Hope was $1.259/litre. During the gas stop in Merritt was told of an accident on the Coq about half way to Kamloops. Apparently there was a weather front that came through, dropped hail/snow and a ton of water, and three/four cars went for a shit in a hand basket. Upended, overturned, hydroplaned, whatever. My friends saw the incident and phoned to warn us. We were about an hour back, stopped for 40 minutes in the rain. Saw one of the cars on a flatbed, demolished. Haven't heard of any injuries or such. I was driving quite gingerly during this rain.

Made it into Kamloops for a rest stop. Weather cleared up a bit, made for a nice ride into Clearwater where we have stayed the night. Nice little hamlet, quite civilized, has a Tim Horton's, A&W, and a Dairy Queen, couple of pubs.

Had all the weather of the four seasons. Low temp of 6 deg C, high of 20 deg C, dry and wet with a sprinkling of hail and snow. Not bad for one day. Roads are in good condition. The ruts that trucks make in the road move the bike a bit. With Sonya on and towing the trailer, 100 Kms/hr is a nice speed. Also getting good fuel economy that is surprising me, 17/18 Kms/litre (you can do the conversion - 3.78 litres per USG or 4.5 for imperial gallon), it's quite good.

Today we're heading to Hinton, Alberta. Good day shaping up. Will be cool this morning.

Here are a couple of pics, will get Sonya in there as well. Cheers

Pic 2.jpg
Pic 1.jpg
Pic 3.jpg

Kamloops, Merritt, Hope.

Those are the towns I passed through on a rented V30 Magna more than 30 years ago!
Brings back memories.
I took that ferry to Vancouver Island too.

Day 2 dawned with great promise:
Clearwater Morning.jpg
Started the day off well with a coffee at Tim's and browsing the forums. Had breakfast at the Old Caboose Pub, not expensive, but it's hard to find a cheap breakfast for under $10.00.

On the road by about 0900, and had a lovely start to the day. Picture at the Mad River:
Mad River.jpg
Water is a brilliant light emerald green, extremely cold, but captivating.

Riding with no rain is a treat, but didn't last long. After about 150 Kms, more wet, suited up in Valemount:
Valemount.jpg
Crossed into Alberta and this is one bad picture:
Terrible Picture.jpg
Did another 150 Kms into Jasper for a quick bite to eat. Rain abated after Jasper, and the ride into Hinton, Alberta was much more pleasant:
End of Day 2.jpg

Gas was reasonable by Victoria standards. $1.349 in Clearwater and $1.209 in Jasper. Roads are extremely good with some construction going on. The scenery was spectacular when it wasn't raining. I am not a good stop and do photos when it is raining. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. We're off to Dawson Creek for a three day walk about, apparently lots to do and see.

Have to say that riding in the rain for long distances is fatiguing and tiresome. Would rather be doing an iron butt ride in good weather.

Cheers