The Cabot Trail

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 1992, when I was stationed in Brunswick, Maine, a few friends of mine took a few days off to ride to Nova Scotia and ride the Cabot Trail. At the time, my sons were 3 and 1, and my wife was not hearing anything about me leaving her for a week with two small children, so I didn't even mention it to her. When my friends returned, they told me about all that they did, and it put a desire in my mind to one day make the trip. When I was diagnosed with MS, I started to give up on those desires, but life changed for me and I am once again able to ride and do the things I want, so the idea of a ride to Nova Scotia was rekindled.

So six months of planning and 4 weeks of packing, packing, and repacking, and I was on the road... Nova Scotia or bust. I was really hoping it wouldn't be that bust thing like it was the last time this bike and I planned a long trip, but I had a good omen. The first words I heard on the radio was Steppenwolf's: Get your motor runnin', Head out on the highway, Lookin' for adventure, And whatever comes our way… Ah it's good to be out on the open road! To get ready for this trip, I pulled the pegs and installed floorboards and also put the Vetter bags and trunk on so I could have most everything inside a locked case, the only things I had outside were my tent bag and my bike bag full of other stuff.

image.php

Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire... Not a single problem. When I get to Maine, a major problem. How do you know you are in Miane? Simple, you look for the stopped traffic and the Moose signs. These I sat in a 5 mile stretch of traffic waiting to get to the toll booth, but the temps stayed low and when it started to climb, I just flipped the fan on to keep it low.

image.php

Now, when you get to Maine, there are a few things that are required. A lobster roll, some New England clam chowder, and a Sam Adams. I took care of all three of those at one shot!

image.php

After a long day of riding, it was time for a motel rather than a campsite, so I suffered through it. The 7&7 in the little blue bottle helped. :BigGrin:

image.php

For day 2, travel was a little better because I got an early start and beat most of the tourists out of bed. When you get off of the Maine Turnpike and start riding on Route 1 along the coast, it doesn't take lone to see why so many people come here during the summer... If you live in Maine in the winter, you also know why people usually do not visit during the winter...

image.php

I was making better time than I expected so I kept pressing on. A quick stop at Johnson's True Value in Calais Maine to lock up a firearm, and I rolled into New Brunswick Canada. My new destination was a Provincial Park along the bay of Fundy, and it did not disappoint. I had heard the stories of how drastic the tides are there, but nothing really prepares you for what you see when you get there. I tried to take a before and after shot, but unfortunately, the after shot was nothing but fog.

image.php

The water that you see in the picture above turned to land in the matter of time it took me to set up my tent and then ride two mile to the nearest gas station. This was home for the night, and imagine trying to sleep while listening to a fog horn all night long. Yep, you guessed it: ear plugs!

image.php

Day 3 started the way day 2 ended... FOG, so on when the rain gear: smart decision because it was a wet ride: more about that later. I started ticking off the miles - 330 were planned for today and the bike was just humming along. Wet or dry roads, it was just rolling. Then I come over a hill and there is the sign I was looking for!

image.php

The weather seemed to always be changing because one minute it would be over cast and the next the sun would be out and then just as quickly, it was raining. It wasn't a great day for riding but it was still fun taking in all the sights. Home for the night was Boylston Provintial Park. I snapped this picture and 15 minutes later, it poured.

image.php

Day 4 started with checking off one of those bucket list items... when you give up on some things due to an illness, and then you are able to rebound and fulfill those dreams, you tend to get a bit emotional, so I took this one feeling really good!

image.php

The road was smooth, the road was rough, and when I hit those rough spots, I was reminded that I was loaded a little heavy. Riding along the ocean and then sudddenly climbing to 1500 feet was a lot of fun, but when you run out of road completely... well that's a different story.

image.php

image.php

image.php

A quick stop for lunch at the Coastal Restaurant and Pub for the Ringer burger and I was back on the trail again...

image.php

image.php

Done for the night I stayed at one of the campsites inside the Nation Park and had another one of those 7&7's... The Candian Border agent asked me if I was bringing anything into Canada I do not intend to bring back with me: my answer was a bottle of Seagram's 7 :smilie_happy:

Day 5 and 6 were more of the same... riding, pictures, rain, sun, repeat...

image.php

image.php

If you want to know what is happening in the local area in the US, you go to the local McDonald's and you can get caught up on all the days news that's not fit for print. In Canada, that place is Tim Horton's.

image.php

I met a lot of nice people and had several conversations (most were about the bike and how it reminded them of an early GoldWing they had back in 19??), but when they turned to politics, well that was my que to leave.

Day 7 was the last day, and when I got to Newberg, NY, I stopped at a rest stop and saw I still had 170 miles to go. Ugg, that hurt because I was felling beat from the 1000 miles from the last two days, so I think I just killed about an hour there and started a conversation with a guy that called my bike a Road Warrior because of the age of it... I think it fits.

image.php

Back on the bike and a few more miles down the road and i am looking on the Delaware valley. New York under my feet but Pennsylvania is in my sight. Almost there!!! Then I roll across the bridge and see the sign I have been waiting to see for two days

image.php

image.php

1 1/2 hours later, not including the time I spent eating a big steak dinner, I pulled into the driveway after 11 hours in the saddle. What a day, what a ride, what a bunch of memories!

Not one problem from the bike that I didn't expect. I have a valave cover gasket that leaks a little on the right side, so I kept an eye on the oil level. Added 1/4of a quart on day 3. I had to put some air in the rear shock to account for all the extra weight, and I had to keep cleaning bugs off of the wind screen. The tires performed flawlessly in the wet weather. On the dry roads, I was dragging the floorboards. This bike is more fun to ride than any I have ever owned, and I thought dirt bikes were a blast when I was a lot younger. All totaled, I rode 2,606 miles from start to finish. When I got home, the next morning... I pulled the Vetter gear off, pulled the floorboards and put the pegs back on, and I gave the bike a bath: it needed it!

image.php

I mentioned to my wife that I do not look at other things the way I look at her, but damn, this takes a close second...

image.php

Throw you leg over sometime and get out on the open road for a long trip: you'll enjoy it. What's next for me? Something out west, and maybe north of the border.

Brian, thank you for sharing your trip!
I've been finishing up my 1980 GL1100 and have wanted to take a long trip, but the last 3 years I have been getting chemo. This year is the first year I have been strong enough to ride short jaunts to work, etc.
Your post makes me want to just jump on and go.
Thanks. :)

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212186#p212186:xere677a said:
dan filipi » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:43 pm[/url]":xere677a]
Great pictures and ride report. Thanks for sharing, Brian!

The 7&7 sounds great after a long days ride.

No kidding... it helped with digesting the freeze dried meals I had. :mrgreen:

Excellent adventure even if it was solo and a bit late! :good: :salute: :moped: :yes:

So cool ...the road warrior fits you as well as the bike ...such a great feeling completing a Long ride trouble free ....two things stood on bike ..the manual radiator switch ..and the tires doing so well ...fantastic report...ahh the memories ...

Great trip my friend, I wish I could have made that trip with you. But, it looks like it was one of those trips that you can really appreciate being on your own for a change. The trip is still on my bucket list, but it looks like we will be making it in an RV rather than on the Slug.

I was surprised you didn't take the trailer, but I can see how it worked out better.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212219#p212219:1z3kcxe3 said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:30 pm[/url]":1z3kcxe3]
Great trip my friend, I wish I could have made that trip with you. But, it looks like it was one of those trips that you can really appreciate being on your own for a change. The trip is still on my bucket list, but it looks like we will be making it in an RV rather than on the Slug.

I was surprised you didn't take the trailer, but I can see how it worked out better.

I down sized everything for this trip. A small iso-propane burner for boiling water, freeze dried food, a smaller tent (I was even prepared to use a hammock, but changed my mind). Everything was in the trunk or bags or the two bags on the seat which make a great back rest. Less was more on this trip.

Latest posts