78 GL1000 rear master cylinder confusion

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramchargerjay

Reaction score
I’ve got a 1978 GL1000. I bought a rear master cylinder kit for this year, but when I took the master cylinder apart the piston is different. The old one has a rubber “boot” on the piston but the one on the rebuild kit does not. I’ve noticed that the 75-77 rebuild kits do have it. Am I mistaken that the rebuild kit I have isn’t right, and maybe an older master cylinder was installed/swapped onto my bike?

Most kits that I have bought had the piston rod boot separate in the kit. Lube it all up good with brake fluid and it will stretch on. Tight, but it will go. If the boot with the hole that fits the piston rod isn't in the kit, contact the vendor.

Also, every exploded view I see shows a check valve that goes in before the spring but I don’t see it in mine nor is there one in the rebuild kit, but the older kit has one. Is it the case that every exploded view for the GL1000 shows the 75-77 master cylinder or are they the exact same but the rebuild kits have that difference?