Gl1200 tire question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusterdude

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1949 panhead,1972 cb750,1980 gl1100,1985 gl1200,1998 cbr600f3 and 2003 vulcan 1600 classic
Being that I have never ridden a wing or any bike as heavy as these.my recently acquired 1200 has a 9 year old rear tire on it,so its replacement time.question is,do I install a mc tire and ride on it until it wears out or go darkside now.keeo in mind,I'm also going to go to an 80 aspect ratio tire too.thanks

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

For as much as people preach against the darkside, I am not aware of a car tire failing on a motorcycle (anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong). Yes, technically the bead profile is different, but that doesn't seem to be a problem in practice.

That being said, I stick with motorcycle tires. Kendas and Shinkos are decent tires and under $100 each. I like how motorcycle tires ride, especially around corners.

Funny you should mention kenda,that is what is on the bike now.still has very good tread and no dry rot.just old

One more thing,would a radial be acceptable or should I use a bias ply tire?

I've always heard never mix radials and bias plys on a vehicle, but I don't know the reasoning behind it.

Yea,me too,but that's on cars

If your going with motor cycle tires I’d go with bias ply tires radials that fit oldwing rim sizes are not really load rated enough ..but maybe there are some out there now days that are better ..been yrs since I tried a radial one time ...wasn’t impressed at all

Ill keep it on mind joe,thanks

You are best served with the original tire sizes. The 1200 does not have a radial-tuned suspension, so you should stick with bias ply tires. There are many brands including top line like Bidgestone, Dunlop, Avon and less expensive but very popular Kenda, Shinko, IRC. Car tires are primarily used on the GL1800s and provide excellent service on them.

Food for thought,thanks

Latest posts