Shinko 712 tires

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusterdude

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1949 panhead,1972 cb750,1980 gl1100,1985 gl1200,1998 cbr600f3 and 2003 vulcan 1600 classic
I'm asking about these for my gl1100 standard.I'm putting the bike on the road for the first time and don't want to spend a big chunk on tires until I'm sure the bike will be ok.ya'lls thoughts please.

Sent from my LG-US601 using Tapatalk

I’ve never had 712 Shinko but I have used the tour master Shinko front tire front tire ..it seemed ok ..better than others I’ve had ...I’d say it’s probably a good choice....Shinko seems ok quality

Can't speak of the 712, but I got the best mileage on my '81 1100 from the Shinko Tourmaster tires.

Thanks,ill check em out

I'm using Shinkos on my CM400. Would buy again.

Using the Kenda Kruz on my Goldwing, which is another good budget tire.

Just one man, one experience. I put Shinkos on my GL1800 many years ago (~2008), not long after they came out with a set that they claimed was for the GL1800. Front developed large blisters suddenly at around 3000 miles and Honda Direct Line (back when Hal owned it) refunded my money. I replaced the rear within 100 miles to be safe. There were a lot of these failures, and Shinko (or their importer) withdrew the line. Just couldn't handle the weight was my assumption.

Hmmm...seems for sure the 1800 is a different beast ....many go with car tires on 1800s ..I’m clueless on the 1800s ..but on oldwings the opposite was true very high dollar tires were complete junk and dangerous ..it was like you had no choice but to buy from them and there. Quality became shit ...on a oldwing finally. New manufactures came on the market provided better tires and a lot better prices ..like some mentioned here Shinko Kendra ..Bridstone seems to be of much better tires ....I for one know the increase of safety of car tires overall on my bike ...99% of the time ..better traction ..better braking ...longer lasting ...a lot of 1800 guys feel the same ...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215466#p215466:1u8ipprl said:
joedrum » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:56 am[/url]":1u8ipprl]
Hmmm...seems for sure the 1800 is a different beast ....many go with car tires on 1800s ..I’m clueless on the 1800s ..but on oldwings the opposite was true very high dollar tires were complete junk and dangerous ..it was like you had no choice but to buy from them and there. Quality became shit ...on a oldwing finally. New manufactures came on the market provided better tires and a lot better prices ..like some mentioned here Shinko Kendra ..Bridstone seems to be of much better tires ....I for one know the increase of safety of car tires overall on my bike ...99% of the time ..better traction ..better braking ...longer lasting ...a lot of 1800 guys feel the same ...
I agree, Joe. That's why I qualified my statement. Actually, I've run the safer run flat car tires now for about 60k miles. Love them. Designed for the heavier load and better grip, ride, run-flat. I just related my one Shinko experience.

The Shinko importer was were really crowing about them when they released them here. Same exact tread pattern as a Dunlop. I had my bike inspected at a Dunlop trailer at Wings Over The Smokies while running them. The crew thought they were Dunlops until I pointed out the name on the sidewalls. They suspected Dunlop had sold an old set of molds to Shinko. BTW, total weight of me plus the bike and gear was 1200 lbs. I weight less than 200.

Love my Tourmasters on the Rats Nest and now the front on Val. Maybe not as heavy as an 1800 but I do push it pretty hard on and off-road. :yes:

The 712 is a tire that doesn't have a very high weight rating, so it wears out quick on these big old girls. I think I got about 5,000 miles out of a rear on my 81. The 230's or 777's have a heavier rating.

Brian,I'm not set on the 712's but they will be going on a standard not a full bagger.I will say,I'm leaning more toward the tourmasters now that I have read the feedback here.

For horror stories/tire failures, when I looked I could find them for any manufacturers.

The lesson I took away is that periodic tire checks are a great idea. Especially for a new tire which may have a manufacturing defect.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215511#p215511:20jmd2l4 said:
Dusterdude » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:19 pm[/url]":20jmd2l4]
Brian,I'm not set on the 712's but they will be going on a standard not a full bagger.I will say,I'm leaning more toward the tourmasters now that I have read the feedback here.

I have had them all on my bikes... 712, 230, and now I have the 777 on the front of the 1200 Standard. The 777 is a HD tire and that does not stand for Harley Davidson but rather Heavy Duty. I like the tread pattern of the 777's more than the 230's. Keep in mind the 777 in this picture (777 on the left, 230 on the right) is actually a rear tire, but the trad pattern is the same.

image.php

When I rode to Nova Scotia last summer I put those tire groves to the test during some HEAVY downpours. The front tire never got squirrely on me.

Interesting info,thanks brian

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215520#p215520:3b06kcg7 said:
joedrum » January 31st, 2020, 4:54 pm[/url]":3b06kcg7]
I’m going with what Brian has on my bike
How's Brian going to ride, if his tires are on your bike? :smilie_happy:

Latest posts