slightly larger tires 1977 gl1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowhorse

Reaction score
I am running 1977 GL 1000 ..I need new tires .. I would like slightly bigger tires..I would like to put 120x90-19 on the front Had 90x90-19 on it .... and the rear put 140x90-17 ( had 130x90-17 on it .What do you folks say,has anyone done the same ?Will they fit ?Thanks...

I have a 110 90 19 on the front. The 140 should fit the back, but I'm not positive. I run a 140 90 16 on one 77 and a 140 80 18 on the other. The 16 requires gentle persuasion to fit. The other has lots of clearance.

Thanks for the reply on the tires...
Do I need to or should I have tubes ? I have spoked wheels .. I was told if spoked wheels then use tubes.. anyone have an opinion on the tubes?

If you have spoked stock rim, 140 is not recommended, it's too wide. I looked at mine the other day and it's pretty tight with a 110 and a stock fender in the front.

I bought 130 /90 -17 for the rear and 110 /90 -19 for the front... now I need to get the rear rim & tire off as it is much cheaper to take , just the rim and have them change the tire .. any advice or how to on getting the rear rim off .. on goldwing.docs i saw DIY for GL1100 don't know if it would apply to my 1977 GL1000... Any tips appreciated.. Thanks for the help

put it on centerstand and drop exhaust cant remember if you have to on 77 stock exhaust but I thimk so ...pull axcle ....slip brake caliper off ...no pushing brake peddle now ...and spacer on axcle too ...then loosen all finaldrive bolts three of them all the way out ...and pull final and wheel back and off ...what out for gear oil coming out ...it will so prepare for that some ....its fum the first time ...not

I hope you have a lift or way of getting the bike up in the air so you don't have to pull the bags. It can be done without pulling the final drive. Pull and support brake caliper out of the way, remove spacer and then lift and move the whole assembly away from the final drive.

thanks my rear tire came yesterday, after work today ,i hope to get the rear tire off and drop it off and have the new tire put on..thanks for all the help..