Nice manufacture dates!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My new E3s came in today with born on dates of 4-4-14 and 4-14-14. Best price I could find was $334 @ Motorcycle Superstore. lol I'm sure they'll go on sale tomorrow. The Metzelers were in close contention coming in at $331 but after hours of reading reviews I chose the Dunlops. I really was open to others too Metzelers, Avon, Michelin and even Bridgestone but the reviews and my experience with the E3s tipped the balance.

My current E3s are nowhere near the end of their service life in my opinion. Here's the deal, I know the rear stem a chrome/rubber mix is failing so why not replace? The front seams to be losing air too so I think it's a stem problem too(same as rear) plus George commented on the tiny cracks near the rim, they didn't really bother me, I'm not sure there is tire in Nevada that's a year old that doesn't have them. I've seen bad cracking here and know the difference.

Anyway, along with all that I'm replacing because we are doing a sort of 140K reconditioning including the tires(with Tyerbeads), head bearings, belts/tensioners and all metal valve stems.

~O~

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140110#p140110:jl2kj70z said:
dan filipi » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:16 am[/url]":jl2kj70z]
Ok so you pay extra for nitrogen then when the pressure goes down over time then what?
Go to some place special to top it up?
+1
I use nitrogen for ac system checking/flushing and I can't be bothered using it in my tires. If for some reason I am running low pressures I want that fixed right away, not needing to get home for some nitrogen.
As someone else pointed out you are already putting nitrogen in your tires just not 100 percent nitrogen :yes:

We use nitrogen in aircraft tires almost all the time and it's even required in some aircraft. Nitrogen is an inert gas, so high temperatures and pressure changes have less effect, regular air contains elements that react with heat, pressure changes and oxygen and can become explosively expansive. Also the nitrogen is more compatible with the rubber compound and doesn't hold moisture as regular air does. The nitrogen atoms are larger, so the deflation rate is longer. Also nitrogen does not support combustion in case of a tire fire. I use it in the bike but only because there is a tank convenient. It's very cheap so that isn't an issue. I can't tell any difference on the bike using air or nitrogen