1100 paint stripping

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusterdude

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1949 panhead,1972 cb750,1980 gl1100,1985 gl1200,1998 cbr600f3 and 2003 vulcan 1600 classic
What do ya'll use on the front fender and the side covers?

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Do NOT use paint stripper on the side covers! I made that mistake and it melted the ABS. I had to sand and reshape the side covers afterward.

image.php

Before paint stripper:

image.php

After paint stripper:

image.php

It worked fine on the front fender:

image.php

Mcgovern,ill try to find the jasco stuff.thanks

And thanks for the other suggestions too

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=217658#p217658:2mb21cks said:
Dusterdude » Wed May 27, 2020 5:48 pm[/url]":2mb21cks]
Mcgovern,ill try to find the jasco stuff.thanks

Jasco should be found at Lowes or Home Depot. Again, DO NOT use it on your side covers!

The side covers are ABS as McGovern61 mentions, and if the paint is still intact, wet sand with 600 grit, scuff with a grey scotch brite pad, rubbing alcohol to clean and degrease - rubbing alcohol does not build up any static, tack cloth, use a sandable primer - two coats, wet sand with 800/1000 grit, clean once more with rubbing alcohol, tack cloth, then paint. Just did a lot of ABS painting, repainted my 1500, it's all ABS.

If you have to do ABS repair(s) on the side covers, take the affected area down to the ABS structure - remove all paint. Do the repair with ABS cement, let sit for at least a day to cure and flash. Sand the area smooth, use an adhesion promoter on the affected area, two coats of sandable primer, wet sand with 800/1000 grit, use a finishing filler if required to build the area up to level with the rest of the panel, let cure for at least a day, sand smooth, two light coats of sandable primer - wet sand again, clean with rubbing alcohol, tack cloth, then paint. The area that is not affected and has the original finish only needs a wet sand with 600 grit, scuff with grey scotch brite pad, clean with rubbing alcohol, tack cloth, then paint entire panel.

When you are going to use sandable primer, you can prime the entire panel, but you have to ensure the area of the panel not affected by a repair or such is sanded once before the first coat of primer is applied with 600 grit, wet or dry.

If there are cracks, these have to be fixed or the crack will show in the new finished product. Missed one on my 1500, but no ones going to get that close.

Seems like a lot but it isn't - just time consuming. Good prep work never goes unrewarded.

Thanks red,good info

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=217667#p217667:3gy1b7kr said:
Rednaxs60 » 2020-05-27- 20:01[/url]":3gy1b7kr]
The side covers are ABS as McGovern61 mentions, and if the paint is still intact, wet sand with 600 grit, scuff with a grey scotch brite pad, rubbing alcohol to clean and degrease - rubbing alcohol does not build up any static, tack cloth, use a sandable primer - two coats, wet sand with 800/1000 grit, clean once more with rubbing alcohol, tack cloth, then paint. Just did a lot of ABS painting, repainted my 1500, it's all ABS.

If you have to do ABS repair(s) on the side covers, take the affected area down to the ABS structure - remove all paint. Do the repair with ABS cement, let sit for at least a day to cure and flash. Sand the area smooth, use an adhesion promoter on the affected area, two coats of sandable primer, wet sand with 800/1000 grit, use a finishing filler if required to build the area up to level with the rest of the panel, let cure for at least a day, sand smooth, two light coats of sandable primer - wet sand again, clean with rubbing alcohol, tack cloth, then paint. The area that is not affected and has the original finish only needs a wet sand with 600 grit, scuff with grey scotch brite pad, clean with rubbing alcohol, tack cloth, then paint entire panel.

When you are going to use sandable primer, you can prime the entire panel, but you have to ensure the area of the panel not affected by a repair or such is sanded once before the first coat of primer is applied with 600 grit, wet or dry.

If there are cracks, these have to be fixed or the crack will show in the new finished product. Missed one on my 1500, but no ones going to get that close.

Seems like a lot but it isn't - just time consuming. Good prep work never goes unrewarded.
Yup... The key to a great paint job like anything is preparation. Don't rush the job or you'll just find ya self doing it all over again... And kicking ya self too. Do it once and doi it right... I'm a perfectionist with my stuff.. Good enough is not good enough for me...

Groovy,thanks for all of the suggestions

Latest posts