New to forum - from West Florida

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol'Skool

Reaction score
Hey all, I go by the riding handle "Ol'Skool". I've been on 2 wheels for about 17 years. Got on the Honda kick with a few different SOHC 750's. Now, I'm a Goldwing fan. I currently possess a '78 GL1000, and '82 GL1100, 83 GL1100 and an '94 GL1500. Crazy as it may sound, I like the GL1500 the least, too much plastic. I prefer the accessibility to the various components on the older bikes. The '83 currently has a blown engine and the '82 needs a revamp...Any goldwing fans in northwest Florida? if so, hit me up, I have a bunch of parts I need to get rid of. Stay tuned to the classifieds or hit me up with your needs...'78 pic kinda blurry, will take another soon.

Attachments

• 78 goldwing.jpg
    78 goldwing.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 155
Welcome! Enjoy your GWs. Hear you on the 1500 regarding maintenance, but it is a good solo and two up rider. I do what I have to on mine because of the plastics. Mind you the plastics on my '85 Limited Edition may not be as many but there's enough to ask the same question. Cheers

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=218921#p218921:3hmglixw said:
joedrum » Yesterday- 19:32[/url]":3hmglixw]
Hmmmm.im near Orlando ..are you selling the 1500 ? I could used a VOLTAGE REGULATOR. Maybe other parts

Yes, I'm selling the 1500, don't think I have any voltage regulators, I'll double-check.

Had a question, possibly answer somewhere on this forum...have any of you experienced this? The cycle has poor acceleration in 5th gear. For example, it won't pull above 4000rpm especially going up hill. Drop down into 4th and get the engine spooling faster is the only way to make it any way rideable on the highway. The bike doesn't really 'launch' in first like it should, but it does get up to speed. We've adjusted the clutch, but maybe we are doing something wrong...? The power does not seem to be making it to the ground like it should. Speedo says 150, i'd be lucky to get 100 out of it, suggestions? Carbs have been synched and run seemingly well. I do have the short mufflers on with no baffles, is no back-pressure an issue...? Throttle cables dob't seem to be sticking. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• Cafe_front.jpg
    Cafe_front.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 117
  • Cafe_rear.jpg
    Cafe_rear.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 112
Welcome to the forums! :cool: If I can't get Gerry's Rats Nest I WILL be looking for a 78.

...and don't get me started on the GL1500 maintenance. They're a 60s era jet fighter under that beautiful plastic. :rant:

~O~

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=218957#p218957:1ktviapr said:
Ansimp » 2020-08-21- 15:52[/url]":1ktviapr]
Welcome from Oz. You just need the 1500 model with less plastics. :hihihi:

Totally makes sense! Waaaay too much plastic for me, plus you get a carb per cylinder, nice!!! I bet it's amazing out on the road.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219564#p219564:1zqkjdjt said:
Ol'Skool » Yesterday, 12:45 pm[/url]":1zqkjdjt]
Had a question, possibly answer somewhere on this forum...have any of you experienced this? The cycle has poor acceleration in 5th gear. For example, it won't pull above 4000rpm especially going up hill. Drop down into 4th and get the engine spooling faster is the only way to make it any way rideable on the highway. The bike doesn't really 'launch' in first like it should, but it does get up to speed. We've adjusted the clutch, but maybe we are doing something wrong...? The power does not seem to be making it to the ground like it should. Speedo says 150, i'd be lucky to get 100 out of it, suggestions? Carbs have been synched and run seemingly well. I do have the short mufflers on with no baffles, is no back-pressure an issue...? Throttle cables dob't seem to be sticking. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.
file.php

file.php
There are a few possibilities.

Ignition, timing, bad plug or plugs, resistors.
Valve timing, adjustment, leaking, low compression.
Carb slide or slides sticking, vacuum leak, flooding, over lean.

What have you done or checked so far?

There are a few possibilities.

Ignition, timing, bad plug or plugs, resistors.
Valve timing, adjustment, leaking, low compression.
Carb slide or slides sticking, vacuum leak, flooding, over lean.

What have you done or checked so far?

I rebuilt the carbs so its quite possible the floats are not right. Bike was running terribly, I took it to mechanic who got the ignition and timing setup to where it was rideable. He synched carbs but not necessarily a "Honda" mech. I checked the plugs, #3 looks the worst, looks like unspent fuel, oil-ly, others were pretty dry. Need to check valve timing, adjustment, leaking (around intakes i presume), will have to do a compression check. I worked the carb slides, what would cause them to stick? Should I coat them with something? Doesn't seem to be over lean, I can see gas gauge go down as i ride, think it's getting plenty of fuel!!! Looking in my Clymer manual, only resistor i see is the one for the neutral light, is that the resistor you are referring to? BTW, the neutral light does not go off...

First thing I would do is a compression test with a known good gauge. Without good compression you'll be chasing your tail.
Checking for compression with a finger over the plug hole aint good enough here, you need baseline numbers.
Valve adjustment can affect compression readings so if you have low readings, adjust valves and recheck.

Trying to avoid having to pull the carbs again, I'd check spark at each plug with it laying on the head plugged in and all plugs out while cranking.
Might be just worth a new set of plugs. I've had even Irridium plugs carbon track and short out.

If this all checks out then the carbs need revisited. Ive had a flooding problem fixed many times by running the bowls empty so the float valve could re-position itself.

#3 plug is wet and you can watch your gas gauge dropping, my first suspect is the #3 carb float needle is not seating/sealing and you are flooding the carb.