'82 1100 made clacking noise then shut off

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseydogg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was riding my brand new 1982 interstate. (lol) I'm had it for about 2 months but only been riding it for 1 month.

I was riding last week and the bike made a loud clacking noise then shut off. I restarted it twice, then it shut off when I put it into 1st gear. If I roll it backwards, in gear, it will turn over. I pulled the plugs out because I don't want it to start until I get it turning over like its suppose to. I check the timing belts. I pulled the starter and bench tested it (although I didn't test the actual voltage when it was on the bike. I'll be doing that in a few minutes).

can anyone help.

Pull your valve covers off and check the valves, maybe one came loose, I`m thinking things like the stator came loose, valve dropped, you say the belts look OK did you check to see if they skipped time?..Clacking is never good.
Also if you lost spark in one or more cylinders the primary chain makes a slapping sound, can be mistaken for a clacking. I really need to hear it run to tell.

+1 on checking the timing belts being in time, check the valve keepers, maybe stator bolt came lose, maybe the primary chain is slapping, lots can be wrong, +1 on hearing that baby run, but i would check things out first... -then we could tell you more maybe.

hmmm with the plugs ... and the timing covers and valve covers off put a wrench on the crank shaft bolt and rotate it clockwise it should turn easy... go slow and if it comes to a stop .. time to figure out why ...

also the stator bolt on the left side rear of motor mat be loose and banging the cover ... it is under the plug like cap in the middle of the stator housing ....

post back when you have done the plugs out test ...turning with a wrench on crankbolt

Thanks, I will to the "everything out test" and turn the motor.

I forgot to say, that I had already pulled the back plug and check the "alt" bolt. It was tight.

I'll check back it tomorrow morning when I get back to the bike.

First off - welcome to the forum from Southern California! There are so many things this could be... Let's hope for a happy outcome! Were the timing belts tight when you checked 'em?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134610#p134610:2x2fmsnx said:
mcgovern61 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:54 pm[/url]":2x2fmsnx]
I got your PM! I will try to get down your way ASAP if want me to take a look!

Yes, I definitely would appreciate it.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134611#p134611:1ldc0vd0 said:
Steve83 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:57 pm[/url]":1ldc0vd0]
First off - welcome to the forum from Southern California! There are so many things this could be... Let's hope for a happy outcome! Were the timing belts tight when you checked 'em?

As far as I can tell the timing belts are in good shape (tight). But, This is my first bike, so what I think is ok, may not be.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134613#p134613:1szdkg4x said:
slabghost » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:33 pm[/url]":1szdkg4x]
By any chance are you out of gas?

No, I have plenty of fuel. But even without fuel it would turn over. It's not even doing that.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134625#p134625:3b56lo6f said:
dan filipi » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:41 pm[/url]":3b56lo6f]
Keep us updated.
I hope it's something simple.
+1 :popcorn: :moped:

Hey Jersey!, great meeting you today and getting to see the bike. :clapping:

For those interested, we did as much diagnostic as we could without pulling the engine. Here is what was found:

Initially, the engine was locked up, plugs out, starter not able to turn the engine. Tried to turn the engine from the stator bolt, no go.

Visual inspection through the plug holes did not reveal anything unusual. Pull the valve covers, nothing unusual found. Valves, rockers look normal.

Bike in 5th gear on center stand and will not roll forward, but rolls the engine in reverse! :music: Now we can turn from the stator bolt!! BUT, it hangs up again and stops. Rock the rear wheel does not move it.

While locked and in gear, pull the clutch handle and cannot disengage from shaft. Tighten clutch cable and clutch working slightly better to disengage. Suddenly, engine rolls easily again while turning the wheel for no particular reason???

Locks again while turning with stator bolt. While pushing down on stator bolt, engine in gear, clutch pulled in, engine will not turn, but wheel is now turning. Then, without warning, the engine rolls again with the stator bolt.

While engine is rolling, the valves and rockers appear to be working correctly and it does not currently appear there is a bent valve, but it cannot be ruled out yet.

Conclusion, there is evidence the rear cover has been off in the past and the engine has been out before. A PO has either worked on the stator or clutch. It seems that since the noise was not a tapping noise (like valves and piston kissing) and the timing belts have not been touched recently, I would lean towards an issue with the starter clutch, stator or main clutch.

Recommendations??

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134693#p134693:zxr1l9s7 said:
dan filipi » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:24 pm[/url]":zxr1l9s7]
I think I'd pull the starter then see if engine turns over by hand every time.
I'm guessing something jamming the starter clutch.
Forgot to write that we had pulled the starter about halfway through to no avail.

When you pulled the starter, did you check the sprocket and chain? it should turn freely in one direction. Also, pull the lower radiator hose inlet and see if the water pump is turning with the engine. I bought an '82 engine that had sheared the oil pump shaft. The sprocket and chain were jamming up in the clutch housing.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134697#p134697:1y8nkalc said:
Steve83 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:56 am[/url]":1y8nkalc]
When you pulled the starter, did you check the sprocket and chain? it should turn freely in one direction. Also, pull the lower radiator hose inlet and see if the water pump is turning with the engine. I bought an '82 engine that had sheared the oil pump shaft. The sprocket and chain were jamming up in the clutch housing.

I did pull the starter and the chain spun freely in one direction but not in the other.