I Gotta quit reading the "for sale" ads

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure about the nomenclature, but it sounds like you've confirmed damaged valves. The term "rod" should not be associated with your valves. Do you mean a bent valve "stem" or have you also confirmed a bent connecting rod - which would be bad news, necessitating a complete engine teardown and overhaul. You'd need more than a spare engine to do that.

So, if you're lucky, it's just the valves, but given the photo you've shown, I would still be pretty nervous. Any sign of scoring on the cylinder walls where that bolt was? What does the piston crown look like? Will the motor turn over easily now with the head(s) off? If not, you ain't out of the woods yet.

1 Bent valve stem and 2 cracked valves.
I am going to take another head off the spare engine. Use those pistons with the current cam shaft. I have a hole drilled already for the new ignition.
Yes the engine turns real nice now.

Found the rear flat tire caused by an old valve stem rotted

It is really nice to have a lift table and can not get the bike up on it. I guess I will have to have a beer party and get a bunch to push the bike up.

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=203532#p203532:3hg4t0l2 said:
wilcoy02 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:21 pm[/url]":3hg4t0l2]
I am going to take another head off the spare engine. Use those pistons with the current cam shaft.

Dang. Now I'm confused again. You're going to pull the heads off the spare and use them...but the pistons?

The pistons and walls seem to be ok. No scratches any where that we can see.

Found the top of the screw-- The sound of the ball bouncing around was found on the floor. It must have dropped out when removing the heads.

Should have said the rockers.
I have never been in an engine before. So I am learning the correct names for these things that are in there.

Thank You

I doubt the engine made many revolutions after that got in. Cylinder walls should be fine. Check that other head before mounting it to make sure valves and seats are good, and while it is off replacing stem seals is pretty easy. You don't want to waste a head gasket only to find low compression from leaky valves. If the donor engine has good compression you should be fine.

I took the head off and found the 2 pieces of the bolt that holds the carb horns on.

I could turn the engine over by hand with no problem.
I got a different head and valves, which I put on.

With the head on and the valve springs very loose, I can not turn the engine past T-2. The top valves on 2 & 4 are open.

I guess I am going to learn about pistons.

If one of the valves are being pushed open, suspect cam timing isn’t right.

At T2 mark, number 2 piston is at top dead center. The UP stamp on the left cam pulley should be upside down and the corresponding timing mark on the cam pulley should line up to the timing mark on the case, if cam timing is correct.

At this point, to turn the engine over past T2 without hurting a valve, you’ll need to remove the belt and maybe loosen up the cam holder bolts enough to let the valves close.

Did all the marks line up before you tried to turn the motor (the two cam pulley marks and the T1 mark on the crank were lined up PERFECTLY)? I say perfect since less than 1/4" suggests you're off a tooth. Although I wouldn't expect valve to piston collisions with only one tooth off...right guys?

Sounds like a problem. Get T1 in place and then each cam pulley should line up on the mark with the casted "UP" actually up, of course. If all three marks are spot on, you're good to go. Unless something else is wrong.

Finally had a whole day to work on this project bike. Got the head on and able to turn the engine over by hand.
Set the intake and exhaust valves. Hooked up the battery. Pressed the starter button.Would not start. Used some starting fluid.
This engine runs so smoothly and quiet.

Now I have to decide weather I want to pour some money into it or sell it as is.
Needs brake help as the rear caliper is sticking. Rotor is pretty worn. Tires are 12 yrs old. In fact the rear tire valve stem fell apart in my hand when I tried to add air.

Will ride it and see how it goes.
Thanks for all the help you have given me.