What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sold it! I was worried that it might be a poor decision, that I wouldn't get much money for it, and that I would miss it. All that came true...but it has gone to a good new home, a guy with a family, two kids, a minivan, and a wing project with a seized engine. He also has a friend who misses his riding partner. So all my effort and money is going to make at least two more people happy, and I get a little more room to work to house this! Ladies and gentlemen, may I present Wilma. (1979 Wil-Mac trike)

Attachments

• vwothersmall.jpg
    vwothersmall.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 145
Rode for the first time in 2 weeks to Springwood for coffee and the up to Northgate for a job. Swung past the daughters place on the way back home.
:moped: :moped: :good:

Installed a new Mr Gasket Clearview #9747 fuel filter and used a little wrap of some clear doublesided gorilla tape so that I could use the stock mounting bracket and keep it where it belongs nice and neat. Also a new thermoswitch and added waterwetter to my coolant. Did not have heating problems short of the thermoswitch suddenly dieing. (Well not suddenly but it was randomly not coming on and would have to tap it. What is aggravating is soon as I got it out I dropped it, so no idea if the ceramic part being cracked was part of the dropping on the floor or part of the failure. Eitherway it works now and I am keeping my thermoswitch override switch in place.

Several things today. First, the 1500 needed a good cleanin after riding in the rain 3 days last week. :blush:
Second, I noticed a couple of drops of fluid under it last week, and found that the dang alternator was leaking.....apparently, the o-ring was either cut, or otherwise damaged when I installed it a few months back. This is the FIRST leak of any kind on this bike since I've owned it, so it wasn't a big deal. Took it off, and installed another o-ring, and put some 3M Aviation sealer around the inside mounting area on the engine to help it seal before putting it all back together.

Now...the story gets interesting. On the ride home Friday, I ran over.....a CHAIN(large, tow/logging chain)...in the middle of the friggin hiway. This thing was balled up like it would be if you just ran a chain thru your hands and let it curl up on the floor. It wasn't slung out across the road like it came out of the back of a truck...it was balled up like a goldang snake. Looked sumptin like this:

There was NO swerving to miss it...I would've lost control if I had tried. It was a purdy gud lick, but it dint blow a tire, or cause any vibrations, so I kept on going. Today I raised the front off the ground and checked the tires & rims closely. Couldn't find any indication of tire or rim damage....but I can certainly see where the tire hit the chain, and found there was some minor body damage on the underside. Spun the tire/rim and found no out-of-round, or any other failure types on the tire. Rear tire also had a chain tattoo, but also had no apparent damage from it.

Here's the front tire tattoo...

This is the small amount of body damage on the underside...a little bend in the sheetmetal, and a couple of scrapes/gouges.

On a more positive note, I have o-fish-ully put just over 20,000 miles on this one since purchasing it back in 2016!! Running smooth and strong still, with very few problems. I so happy! :yes:

Sure glad hitting that trash in the road wasn’t anything serious!

I came up once on a 8 foot 4x4 laying at a 45 degree angle in my lane while doing almost 70 mph. Swerved into the other lane in time to miss it. Sure glad I was paying close attention to the road ahead and the other lane was clear! Hitting that would have been BAD guaranteed!

My biggest fear is crap coming out of the back if concretor’s truck as it seems like nothing is ever tied down properly. A mate hit a wheelbarrow that came off the back of one in his cage luckily. :doh:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204571#p204571:37qbq919 said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:02 pm[/url]":37qbq919]
Knees are improving. Took the Slug out today for a very enjoyable ride!
:good: :yahoo: