1987 gl1200 w/ 17k seized?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive moved the cams, just 3/4 turns each. Felt gummed up but freed up some. Ive tried to turn rear wheel in 5th gear, both forward and back, it only moves and inch either way. Am about to make plugs for exhaust ports on left side so I can fill all 4 cylinders w/ more MM oil I just bought. Only the left side cylinders would hold MM oil. The right just poured out both ports. Also the cam was stiffer to turn than left but it loosened up. If valves were sticking it was those. Im making plugs so I can fill cylinders MM oil that side too.
It cranked last summer just didnt start from fuel issues. Hoping just right side valves sticking open.
I bought scope but cant sync w/ tablet to use

Thx All,
Niquill cold med cups fit exhaust ports perfectly, holding Marvelous Mystery oil. All 4 cylinders filled, hoping for some help. Am not experienced enough to R & R heads.

Thombar":27g21e73 said:
Thx All,
Niquill cold med cups fit exhaust ports perfectly, holding Marvelous Mystery oil. All 4 cylinders filled, hoping for some help. Am not experienced enough to R & R heads.
FSM has pretty good instructions. Carbs (need to come off for cleaning, anyway), drain oil & coolant, easist here to pull the shelter covers, pull belts and remove fuel pump and disconnect points unders side cover. Detach water 90 degree elbows (carefully, avoiding breakjng the screws). Back off all valve adjusters fully. Loosen (leave a couple in to catch the weight) seven bolts in sequence given in FSM (DON'T FORGET THE BOTTOM ONE!). Tap with wood block/dead blow/say incantations to release the head from the block. If it is really stubborn, you can take the pulley and front plate off to gain access to pry points, but be patient!

It isn't hard, it's just work to do. The hard work comes when you have to clean the faces for the new gaskets.

If the engine was cranking freely last summer, unless the bike was left out in the rain with the plugs out and filled the engine with water, I cannot see how it could be stuck without some other event. A free spinning engine doesn't seize solid from sitting for 12 months. Is there any other history that would have lead to this?

That was my point too. It was kept in climate controled garage for the several yrs not used. Last summer when I drained fuel system it didnt smell of varnish very much, stabilizer maybe. It was under cover and completely assembled until a couple weeks ago when I found fuel pump online. Got all known fuel issues fixed and didnt crank an inch!
Using heavy jumper cables on a deep cycle battery that cranks my miata. Pulled starter and tested, then connected starter to bike without mounting it and all functioned but wont turn when mounted. I put bike up on center stand and in 5th gear tried to move rear tire with a floor jack, only an inch either way. Now Ive dropped the exhaust and plugged 2 right cylinders and filled w/ Mystery oil. My son will push me down driveway as I pop clutch on 3rd gear tomorrow, after I remove oil from cylinders.

Silly question, but are you sure the transmission is in neutral? Is it possible someone clicked through the gears while it was sitting and it is in 4th or 5th gear? Again, these engines are fairly bulletproof and sitting in a climate controlled environment should pretty much prevent the engine from getting stuck if it was spinning before these with no known issues.

With the battery connected, check to see if the bike is in neutral. If not, click the shifter down until it is. On the back of the stator, pull the plug and you can stick a 12MM socket in there and try turning the engine. This is normally where the engine is turned to set the cam belts.

Thx Gerry,
I pushed bike to where Ive startes the fuel system flushing. Am sure Im in neutral. Ive tried to turn motor by turning the crank bolt in the timing belt compartment, wouldnt budge, Have tried moving rear wheel w/ floor jack in every gear. Will try to turn the stator 12mm bolt tomorrow. Its full of Marvelous Mystery oil soaking. Hope to push start free tomorrow. Im missing something?
Tom

Hadnt been able to move rear tire but an inch either way w/ floor jack. Took the bike down off of the center stand and was able to pull it backwards in 5th gear aprox 16" and then roll it forwards about same! Didnt try to force it. Crank and timing belts turning, no loose rockers no matter where I rotate crank. The bore scope isnt showing me anything unusual. Someone mentioned stuck valve would present this way. Can anyone advise?

Appears I have a stuck valve on 87 1200 from sitting too long. Wont crank, starter good, but can roll in 5th gear about 16" forward and back w/ plugs out. Everything looks and feels normal under valve covers an cant tell much w/ endoscope on laptop. If I pulled the heads can anyone recommend a machine shop that is qualified to service them? Only 17k miles and bike cranked but never started, carbs, last summer but had sat up for several years before I bought.
Thanks,
Tom
Blue Ridge, Ga 30513

Is there no chance I could lube valve stem or move cam, anything to try before pulling head? It hasnt been run in this condition so no damage done, just stuck from lack of use. Anything? Wondering if the right side stuck from leaning on kickstand?

Pull the cam and lubricate the valve then tap on it with a hammer.that might do the trick.make sure that piston is down too.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Thank you DusterDude. I gently tapped on the rocker arms over the valves and I could feel the spring compress and valve move ever so slightly. Could a valve move out but stick going back in? Maybe I could lube top of valve while I tapped gently?