Questions about tools. . .

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daeouse

Stubbornly Optimistic!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
2022 Harley Sportster 883 (daily), 1986 GL 1200A "Wing Zero"
Hey all!

I recently spoke with the Snap-On rep at work, and will be purchasing a set of JIS screwdrivers and possibly opening an account with him. I know I need to replace some of my crappy tools already, however I wanted to know what tools you'd recommend buying to perform maintenance on my Wing?

-Specialized Tools (Piston sleeves, etc)
-Equipment (Brake bleeders, etc)
-Electronics (Digital testers, etc)
-Other?

A good set of sockets
wrenches
screwdrivers
A digital multi meter
a high quality soldering iron
wire strippers
heat gun.
Vacuum brake bleeding kit.
Torque wrench

Anything more than that, I buy it or make it as I need it. This has included Special sockets for removing/installing certain nuts on the bike’s clutch, stealing head, swing arm, etc.

I like to have a set of short metric wrenches in addition to the standard lengths. Short screwdrivers are also very handy. Don't be caught dead without at least a couple of pairs of needle nose pliers.

Good quality multi-meter(I prefer Fluke)
Accurate feeler gauge set
6 point wrenches/sockets for those fasteners that are half-way rounded off already.
Wire crimper/stripper
Soldering iron/solder/heat shrink tubing
Flexible mirror & bright flashlight
Selection of C-clamps
High quality vice-grips(cheap ones are basically useless under pressure)

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200939#p200939:3htfybxx said:
flash2002 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:46 pm[/url]":3htfybxx]
Don't forget that magic wand with the magnet at the end, very handy when you drop that screw in no man's land.
+1
It got a workout today I just wished that I had used more Chinese stainless fasteners.... :smilie_happy:

I find that I'm using a 1/4" drive screwdriver handle on sockets for 80% of the cap screws these days. And, have an assortment of 10mm sockets! Another oft-used tool is a loooong pair of needle nose pliers with a 90 degree bend about 2" from the tip. A box of snug-fitting nitrile gloves (I like the light blue ones from Harbor Freight, very similar to Best brand).

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=201144#p201144:39yybgsi said:
wedoo2 » Today, 9:26 pm[/url]":39yybgsi]
You cannot have enough tools.

True. . . :smilie_happy: