I Gotta quit reading the "for sale" ads

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I read:

I have a 1982 GL 1100 Project for sale. It's all there and in excellent condition, but needs put back together. Will accept offers, but only from someone that wants to come and look at it. No scammers, etc.etc. I am interested in just getting it out of my garage, so I will entertain reasonable offers.

This is what followed me home:

Black gw 003.JPG

Black gw 004.JPG

Black gw 001.JPG

Have not heard the engine yet.
The PO had read in the manual to remove the engine to replace the starter.
He discovered after he took a lot of things off, that the engine did not have to be removed.
He put the starter on and started the engine. Immediately it sounded like a ball bouncing around inside the engine. He shut it down and sold the bike to me.

I took the back end off and turned the engine by hand. It became stuck at one point. I reversed the turn and it sounded like a ball bouncing around inside the engine--like a pinball sound.
Kept turning the engine and it became stuck again.

Any suggestions on what may have come apart? To have a sound like a ball dropping down inside the engine.

Should I first take the rockers off, take the left head off, any suggestions?
Thanks for any input.

This one should work out. The seller was upfront about the sound out of the engine. 56,000 miles on the clock.
The paint is in very fine shape. There is no rusting or pitting on anything.
The mufflers look brand new.

I turned the engine by hand. I do plan to time it from scratch. But what ever is loose in there sounds like a nut falling down when I turn the engine a little.
I feel the starter has nothing to do with this. As I do not think anything from the starter could get in the engine. Am I correct on this thinking?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203433#p203433:8twvqkew said:
slabghost » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:24 pm[/url]":8twvqkew]
Check the rotor bolt. PO may have tried to turn it backwards and loosened it.
:yes:

The way I read the original post, you can turn the engine one way, and hear something fall, and the engine stops turning. Turn it back the other way, and same thing.....no?

If you have all the sparkle plugs out, look down into each cylinder as you turn the engine....make SURE all 4 pistons are moving. If one piston does not move, you've found the problem....a rod has broken loose from a piston.. This would explain not being able to turn the engine a full revolution, AND the noise...the noise being the rod flopping in the cylinder. :rant:

Unless you know the guy you got it from(and I take it you dint), can you really trust what he told you about the engine running before ? :ahem:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203501#p203501:3d4c3jnn said:
wilcoy02 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:39 pm[/url]":3d4c3jnn]
Heads --I have been 2 hours trying to figure out how the left head comes off.
All the bolts out including the little one bottom center and a little persuasion with a dead blow mallet.
:builder:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203506#p203506:fgwhb19e said:
dan filipi » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:38 pm[/url]":fgwhb19e]
Start a couple of the head bolts in a few threads to hold the head once it breaks loose.
Try smacking a hammer on a 2x4 toward outward in different places around the head.
Yep! :builder: Thumpy thumpy!

Finally got the head off.
Here is what was stuck(welded) to the top of the piston. No marks on the walls of the piston.
I am just wondering where the rest of the bolt went?
Will take the head to a machine shop to make sure everything is up to snuff. Also to have them drill the hole for the new ignition on the back of the head.

I think this bike is going to be a winner.

bolt1 002.JPG

To check to see if the con rod is bent, turn the engine over and see where the pistons are when fully extended. The pistons should come close to the head mating surface. Check to see that all are the same. Saw this on another forum.

Cheers

:shock:
That 'splains the engine not turning 180*...but what the heck is the ball bouncing noise? :headscratch: