Possible Plan. Opinions?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slabghost

Reaction score
Working to resurrect the old 80 for the new owner. Need to pull the heads and maybe clean the cylinder walls. 30 year old gaskets can't be trusted any longer. Now I recall that compression went up significantly when Dan installed 1200 cams. At least on one side. So I'm thinking to install 1200 heads complete on this 1100. Has anyone tried this? Anything to avoid? So far this isn't set in stone but I'd really like to do the job just once. So all opinions welcome.

1100 has the same oil jets to the heads though sized a bit smaller. 12% more or less shouldn't really be a game changer. Should it? I could go a size bigger on the oil jets to get a bit better flow yet still maintain decent pressure right? I thought the major machining was needed to use the 1200 hydraulics in 1100 heads.

The 1200 intake ports are different sizes (smaller) if I recall. It's been a while... The 1200 also has a bigger bore, and uses different head gaskets - not sure about sealing surface alignment.

Seems logical that the conversions running 1100 heads on the 1200 motor seal up that the reverse would also seal up. I am aware the 1200 valves are smaller and at a different angle. However the 1100 pistons do not extend quite as far into the heads as the 1200 pistons do. So maybe clearance is a non issue?

I looked through my collection and do have a 1200 head. 2 real nice looking cam holders also.
Anyway, the 1200 and 1100 head to block surface appears identical.
I don’t see any problem there right off.

As far as oil delivery/volume goes, that may or may not be an issue. My guess in not, because there is plenty of delivery to the 1100 heads/cams. Gerry did a video once showing that.

Next questions I guess would be if the deck heights are different which could affect the belt, or the water tubes. Belts probably a non issue since there’s a choice of using either 1100 belts and 1200 belts, and plenty of adjustment in the tensioner.

I’d like to see you do this. Would be a first I think.

What's the worst that could happen? That may be the best way to look at it. Besides, I like the comment that "you'd be the first". That's kinda cool, if true. As many smart hands that have wrenched on these ole girls, it's surprising that "firsts" are still out there.

So, while it may or may not be true, it's you're walking a different path.

If it’s a bolt up deal, I think you will end up with larger cc combustion chambers, lower compression and slightly less hp which is not a bad thing. It should tend to run cooler temp also. I think. Go for it!!

The question I have is would you need to adapt the 1100 cam gears. The 1200 uses one more tooth on the timing belt and I’m wondering what the difference would be on the valve timing with the crank and the valve lift. Just a thought as I pondered the conversion.

"The question I have is would you need to adapt the 1100 cam gears. The 1200 uses one more tooth on the timing belt and I’m wondering what the difference would be on the valve timing with the crank and the valve lift. Just a thought as I pondered the conversion."

Well geez... picky picky. Take a grinder and just grind one off. :whistling:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203630#p203630:18b0jg8o said:
Steve83 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:35 pm[/url]":18b0jg8o]
The extra tooth in the cam belts is due to the 1200 block having a longer stroke, thus being wider than the 1100.
Exactly! The teeth are still the same distance apart.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203661#p203661:ps2gmpoz said:
DaveKamp » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:43 am[/url]":ps2gmpoz]
Not even a snicker... sheesh... tough crowd!!!
:hihihi: