Hunting for info

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daeouse

Stubbornly Optimistic!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
2022 Harley Sportster 883 (daily), 1986 GL 1200A "Wing Zero"
Well. . . This blows.

I want to get a title for Freebie, but can't get any information on the previous owner. I have the VIN and the Title Number, but I can't get any more info than that. I need to contact the original owner to possibly obtain a duplicate title. Nothing has been helpful so far. . .

Can anyone help?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203665#p203665:1fsf64wv said:
slabghost » 8 minutes ago[/url]":1fsf64wv]
Doesn't the dealership have his info? Maybe you can title it as a home build?

They claimed to have lost the title, which they never got in their name. (which is apparently a $5000 fine. . .)

As for a "home build, I'm not sure Florida allows this. They're not very helpful. . .

FlipFlop":1fsf64wv said:
Title company¿?
Some states you go to the sherrif and get the VIN ran for theft and Mia and you can apply for a salvage title.

I'll have to check that last option. A title company already claimed they couldn't help me. . .

What worked for me was:
1. Get the name & address of the last known owner (in my case, he was deceased).
2. Send him a registered letter asking for the title. Make sure the addressee must sign for the letter.
3. Post office will return the letter to you stamped "undeliverable" with the reason why. Do NOT open the letter.
4. Have a local law enforcement officer run the VIN to make sure it isn't stolen. There is a form for that and the LEO will sign it.
5. Take the unopened letter, the certification by the LEO, and the application for a new title to your local Driver's services office.
6. They may have some additional requirements for you to meet. They will help you get a new title or tell you why you can't get one
7. If this approach doesn't work, tell me what you want for that parts bike.

Note: Since you have the title number, ask the drivers services office if they can look that number up.

Here what you do when signatures won't happen (or title) you file for a bonded title. Basic paper work, the state sends notifications, you pay money and after the alloted amount of time a clear title is issued to you. I think that's how it works here. The vehicle registration office is who you have to comply with, maybe similar there?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203664#p203664:315qcri3 said:
Daeouse » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:33 pm[/url]":315qcri3]
Well. . . This blows.

I want to get a title for Freebie, but can't get any information on the previous owner. I have the VIN and the Title Number, but I can't get any more info than that. I need to contact the original owner to possibly obtain a duplicate title. Nothing has been helpful so far. . .

Can anyone help?

At the DMV here you can play a small fee and they will tell you who last titled the bike.

Most states have a 'bonded title' process. It requires a proper title search, an attempt to contact (registered mail to last known), and search of public records (particularly, probate) for name of previous titled owner. When that all comes up blank (and not ID'd as stolen), you're allowed to pay a (refundable) bond fee, and after that, you can get a bonded title... essentially, it's a proper title, you can register and plate the vehicle. The 'bond' value is retained for some timeframe (like... two years), after which, if there's no claim of ownership from elsewhere, the bond is released.

Now, the 'bond' is usually not actual money... frequently, it's like buying an insurance policy... you pay a fee to establish a bond... and the bond issuing agent agrees to insure the market value of the item in question in the event that some legal ownership appears.

It seems big and complex, but it's really not difficult.
In Iowa, it's more difficult to register a boat made prior to 1970... antique boats that have been on private lakes since being built... homebuilt boats that've been out of the water for decades... that kind of thing... a very expensive PITA...

Latest posts