Not GW clutch question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-50Dave

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of collective bike knowledge that here I'd like to tap. Its not my 'OldWing, but my other bike, a 1980 Honda Twinstar. The clutch feels stiff. I've been riding for 40 years, and I just don't ever remember a clutch on any size bike being stiff like this. I busted the original cable (NLA), had a new one made by an old guy in a tiny old shop in an iffy part of town (these guys are priceless), busted that one within a year, decided that the clutch handle slop due to being dropped at some point was to blame I replaced the handle. I have lubed everything I can think of with only minimal improvement. Any further suggestions? Thanx, Dave :help:

How good are the clutch plates etc Dave? A lot of clutches become hard to activate when they are nearing their wear limits and the mechanical advantage changes with the resting position. I have no idea if this applies to your twinstar specifically.

Probably a pin on cam action inside the clutch cover that releases the clutch. Surfaces could be grating instead of gliding. Lever pivot in the clutch cover could also be dry and binding. Good luck getting it smoothed out.

What a difference a day makes. Monday was it's first real day out; 30 minute ride each way to work. Before that, just a few around-town jaunts, less than 10 miles total. This morning rode it to work again and it felt much better. I guess it just needed to shake off the winter hibernation. Thanx for the input, Dave.

Yeah, the actuation of the clutch inside the casing is usually some sort of a helical concept, and if it's been sitting a long time, there's probably not much oil still there. Riding it brings that oil back, and then you're good again.

In the words of the great bicycle racer Eddie Merckx: "Ride Lots".