The Slug Will be On The Market - Spring 2019 (2020) (2021)..

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
Hey guys, I have had an absolute blast on my bike over the years. Getting her for free back in 2007 (there is no such thing as free.......) and going through the whole restoration process down to the frame, two motors and lots of upgrades and changes. Building the Tag A Long trailer and just heading out across the country and camping along the way. Commuting back and forth to the train stations or airports with the trailer while I flew across the country for work or traveled up the coast by train. Taking the girls on rides, camping trips and such. Having them help through out the entire restoration process. It has been a blast! :party: :eek:k: :rocks:

But, the time has come to pass the old girl along. I am still having great difficulty with my knees and hyper-extending either leg causes terrific pain and injury. (You hyper-extend whenever you push the bike backwards or try to get it up on the centerstand.) She is nicknamed "The Slug" because I installed an '83 engine into the '82 frame. The gearing is great on the highway because it really lowers the RPM significantly. But, at a price. Great on the highway, takes a bit to get her going. Hence, "The Slug". She'll pull that Tag a Long trailer anywhere fully loaded for hundreds of miles and never even blink. The time has come to get her ready to pass along.

image.php

image.php

image.php

Over the years, I have accumulated many items for the final restoration. I have all NOS OEM emblems in a box, new steering head bearings, all of the original design '82 pinstripe decals for the whole bike, gold, powder coated front rotors and stuff like that. I also did the fuse/relay panel upgrade with the rebuilt '82 wire harness, but that is sitting in a box right now (Mother in Law came to us on hospice and that put a halt to all other work). I did upgrade the windshield and added MRA windshield extender that made a huge difference on the highway.

I would like to finish what I started and get the bike painted, install the new emblems and pinstriping, install the new rotors, steering head bearings, fuse/relay panel, rebuilt wire harness, replace the '81 triple tree with the new to us '82 triple tree, hook up the self cancelling turn signals and call it a day. Then it will be ready for sale. I am thinking spring 2019 to be able to get all of the work completed. I am also working on our boat at the same time so that is why this will be fall/winter work.

I will also be offering the trailer for sale with the bike since they really go together nicely!

Sorry to hear that you are giving up riding your treasure. I recently sold my '83 that I did so much work to ,(driveline swap,etc) and I was lucky to find a great home for it and not just a buyer. I say this because others are never willing to pay what it is worth and you will feel like you are giving it away. So look for a deserving home/owner so you can pass it along with less regret.
What will you replace it with?

Attachments

• IMG_2257-2.jpg
    IMG_2257-2.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 239
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203994#p203994:394bkv5w said:
kerryb » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:20 am[/url]":394bkv5w]
Sorry to hear that you are giving up riding your treasure. I recently sold my '83 that I did so much work to ,(driveline swap,etc) and I was lucky to find a great home for it and not just a buyer. I say this because others are never willing to pay what it is worth and you will feel like you are giving it away. So look for a deserving home/owner so you can pass it along with less regret.
What will you replace it with?
file.php
I know it will never recoup the dollars spent on it, but that was all part of the fun rebuilding, restoring and having a blast with my girls. They are grown up now and my then 16 year old that was my chief helper during the original restore is now 27 and just got married this past weekend!

As far as actual price, I sold our '81 1100 Standard last year for $3000. I would like to get near that for the Slug (with Trailer).

What will replace it? Nothing at the moment. Our season in life is changing.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204001#p204001:3b9ed9hm said:
brianinpa » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:09 pm[/url]":3b9ed9hm]
Don't say nothing... have you considered something lighter and in the realm of automatic?
No. (Although I do like that Helix!) Until I have knee replacements, my risk of injury is pretty high. If I hurt myself (again) pushing (or pulling) the Slug around, I will be up a creek with my Wife and the USCG (Will not be able to pass my USCG annual physical for my Captain's License if I cannot perform certain tasks.)

sorry to hear that you are giving up riding for now Gerry, hope you can do it again in the future if you choose to.i got the mighty ST 1300 because I wanted something lighter than my 1500 wing and lately I've been looking at a new westrom 650xt

We'll all get there as well. Don't relish the thought of giving up my 2 wheels so I am looking at the stabilizing wheels that one of the fellows did on his '85 LTD.

I have to say that I do miss boating as it is very therapeutic and relaxing out on the water, but not enough to get back into it. Lots of projects can be done to make boating really enjoyable, something like taking an older bike and bringing it back to its glory days. You're never finished with updating/upgrading a boat until you sell it.

Enjoying your thread Gerry. Cheers

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204264#p204264:3l40w28h said:
mcgovern61 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:39 pm[/url]":3l40w28h]
I am so sorry to hear that Joe! I really hope you can heal quickly. :beg:
+1 :yes:

Winter is a good time for evaluation. Knees are marginally better, back (severe arthritis) not so much. The only work I have done on the Slug is keep the battery charged and fire her up weekly. Have also been working on rebuilding 1956 boat engine parts and pieces (rebuilding the waterpump, fuel pump, distributor, carb, starter, generator, 6 volt horn) plus various sanding, staining and varnishing jobs. Bottom line, I STILL NEED A BIGGER WORKSHOP!

image.php

image.php

I have plenty of parts to install on the Slug too. (Brand new Oil dipstick, new brake pads all around, new front rotors, new decals, new emblems, fuse/relay panel replacement, rebuilt wire harness)

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208341#p208341:20nsdr6y said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:53 am[/url]":20nsdr6y]
Winter is a good time for evaluation. Knees are marginally better, back (severe arthritis) not so much. The only work I have done on the Slug is keep the battery charged and fire her up weekly. Have also been working on rebuilding 1956 boat engine parts and pieces (rebuilding the waterpump, fuel pump, distributor, carb, starter, generator, 6 volt horn) plus various sanding, staining and varnishing jobs. Bottom line, I STILL NEED A BIGGER WORKSHOP!

Do you really need a piano in the workshop? They tend to eat up a lot of space! :music:

Do you really need a piano in the workshop? They tend to eat up a lot of space!

Well, we live in a townhouse and the piano did not fit through the door. It was intended to go to the basement. Turns out it could only fit in the garage. I have had this piano since 1978. Hate to give it up.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208356#p208356:2rf27xwk said:
kerryb » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:10 pm[/url]":2rf27xwk]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208341#p208341:2rf27xwk said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:53 am[/url]":2rf27xwk]

Do you really need a piano in the workshop? They tend to eat up a lot of space! :music:

I told him that years ago... :smilie_happy:

Electric pianos are a lot smaller and leave more space for a motorcycle!!!!

Latest MRI results are in. 7 herniated discs in my neck, C4-C5 bulging, T-12 bulging, L4-L5 crushed, bulging out front and back, loss of bone in L4 vertebrae, significant changes since last MRI, arthritis worsened, bone spurs and a bit of spinal stenosis for good measure.

Riding will make it worse. The pain level at this point is 24/7. It is time to move the "Slug" to the market. I need to clean her up, but never got around to repainting the tank or side covers. At this point, I may sell the other parts and pieces I have collected separately and just put her and her trailer on the market.

Take care of yourself. You can always live the bike world vicariously through this forum and us who foolishly keep them going! :music3: Don't leave the forum - you've got lots of expertise and experience to pass on. Cheers

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209392#p209392:3vlna758 said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:42 pm[/url]":3vlna758]
Latest MRI results are in. 7 herniated discs in my neck, C4-C5 bulging, T-12 bulging, L4-L5 crushed, bulging out front and back, loss of bone in L4 vertebrae, significant changes since last MRI, arthritis worsened, bone spurs and a bit of spinal stenosis for good measure.

Riding will make it worse. The pain level at this point is 24/7. It is time to move the "Slug" to the market. I need to clean her up, but never got around to repainting the tank or side covers. At this point, I may sell the other parts and pieces I have collected separately and just put her and her trailer on the market.

Ouch!

I know where there is a Helix for sale if you ever get to that point where you just want something light weight for trips around town.