My new bike !

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

made2care

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
2003 bmw r1200c
84 gl1200
I'm picking up a 1983 Yamaha venture royale tomorrow. She's been parked since the 2nd gear went out, so I have my work cutout for me. This is a big bike pushing 900lbs. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• IMG_2824.PNG
    IMG_2824.PNG
    981.1 KB · Views: 251
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Sounds like fun! :good:

Make sure the Vmax doesn't have the same problem! Blowing 2nd was even more of a problem with those machines as they were beat pretty thoroughly. I had two of them and fortunately they both had good second gears...

And for the record, the venture royale is not a 900 pound motorcycle. 700 pounds dry.

I'm not going into this blindly. I look at the glass half full and welcome a challenge. Upon research of this bike, I found that Yamaha fixed the 2nd gear midway through 1985. If I choose an engine swap , I know what engine # to start from hence plug and play. Many options to bring an old bike back from the dead.
Dry weight- 754lbs
Test weight- 911lbs

Sorry. I was just going by this reference article - which is also a very good write up of the machine.

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_xvz1200td_l.htm

I am pretty familiar with the Vmax hotrodded version of this engine which debuted in 1985. My last one, a '94, was a pet project for years. Dumped a lot of coin on that beast.

The Max suffered frequent 2nd gear failures until it was finally addressed in '98 I believe. I still have a complete VBoost setup if you're feeling adventurous...

this will be fun! enjoy doing.

i had a 1988 1300 venture in the 80s and living in the alps and with the cornering excellence of a venture i startet to catch ducatis and other r-bikes. this told me to do something to get a better aceleration and i found some power modis for my venture. the former venture club in the usa had a newspaper plenty of publicity for venture-parts. one of them was a interference tube between the admission tubes between carbs and cylinders so that every cylinder got the mixture from 2 carbs. like the v-max but without a valve and the diameter of the tube was really big. they sold this with a special dynojet carb set. the other modi was to put the cams from the v-max. the result was an engine that won power from 0 to 7500 rpm and went like a 2 stroker up to 9500 rpm. notice, the red line started at 7500 rpm. i do not why today but i sold the bike with 110000 km and had no 2nd gear issue not even riding my way ;-). it was a great bike, also for travels.
joebarteam

Been very busy. Bike frame is toast , so currently stripping down and will rebuild from scratch.

Attachments

• IMG_2838.JPG
    IMG_2838.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2841.JPG
    IMG_2841.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2895.JPG
    IMG_2895.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2921.JPG
    IMG_2921.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 175
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208980#p208980:1bmmlkjr said:
JoeBarTeam » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:40 pm[/url]":1bmmlkjr]
this will be fun! enjoy doing.

i had a 1988 1300 venture in the 80s and living in the alps and with the cornering excellence of a venture i startet to catch ducatis and other r-bikes. this told me to do something to get a better aceleration and i found some power modis for my venture. the former venture club in the usa had a newspaper plenty of publicity for venture-parts. one of them was a interference tube between the admission tubes between carbs and cylinders so that every cylinder got the mixture from 2 carbs. like the v-max but without a valve and the diameter of the tube was really big. they sold this with a special dynojet carb set. the other modi was to put the cams from the v-max. the result was an engine that won power from 0 to 7500 rpm and went like a 2 stroker up to 9500 rpm. notice, the red line started at 7500 rpm. i do not why today but i sold the bike with 110000 km and had no 2nd gear issue not even riding my way ;-). it was a great bike, also for travels.
joebarteam

Those Yamaha V4s are beasts.

All this talk of the Max has made me miss my last one. My third one. That one I had fun with. Stage 7 intake, Kerker, VBoost mod, lowered, Dale Walker frame and Swingarm braces, SportMax seat and drag bars. Everything I have ridden since seems slow – including the CBX. Another one that I kick myself for having sold.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 168
it doesn't really mother what bike you prepare as long you prepare it :) now i got a fj1200 and a fj600 to play with and i'm enjoying making mods to do them run better. the venture was an awesome bike but it's gone.

Cool bike :) So when you say the frame is toast; is it rotted, rusted and not rebuildable and needing replaced or a specific weakness that needs attention or just bad enough that it needs to be stripped down to be cleaned/painted?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222691#p222691:3d1w9zv1 said:
Write2Paul90277 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:26 pm[/url]":3d1w9zv1]
Gotta love the DIY bike lift/stand you made. Looks very effective and SO simple!

Yeah, I was noticing that stand too, very clever! I have a friend with one of those bikes (don't know the year), he has done extensive work on it and likes it very much. Will you entertain rebuilding the tranny or just finding a donor engine?

Attachments

• IMG_2289.JPG
    IMG_2289.JPG
    245.4 KB · Views: 88