How to prevent catalytic converter theft

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiri251

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a member of "neighborhood app".
I have seen lots of catalytic converter thefts around the neighborhood. The last one (not my car) occurred almost in front of my house at 2 a.m.
I was sound asleep and didn't notice anything.
According to the posts, thieves jack up the car and stole catalytic converter in a few minutes.
Some posts mention installing level sensor to detect car's attitude change and sounding alarm.

I googled and found this device.

https://www.defa.com/product/level-sensor/

Do you know anything about these things?
I wonder if I can DIY sensor installation and hooking it up to existing alarm system.

Might werk...problem is most folks don't pay any attention to car alarms anyway....also, a good wind would prolly set it off.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221222#p221222:1ymxj1x7 said:
desertrefugee » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:36 pm[/url]":1ymxj1x7]
I can think of a lot of things folks might steal, but a catalytic converter? Why? Is there some easy way to extract platinum from them?

It seems scrap shops buy them with good price.
I learned that Toyota Prius is the No. 1 victim car (easy to steal, platinum inside has less damage due to less engine use).
The one in front of my house was also Prius. I saw the owner started engine and it sounded like my BSA.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221219#p221219:67344k14 said:
AApple » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:36 pm[/url]":67344k14]
Might werk...problem is most folks don't pay any attention to car alarms anyway....also, a good wind would prolly set it off.

This particular system (not just the sensor) costs around $500.
There is another anti-theft device called CatClamp (works like good old steering wheel clamp device LOL) which also costs $500 to $1000. :shock:

CatClamp is made of two pairs of steel plates and several cables.
HDC-35040040014X6lgpicNoLock.jpg

I guess I should make something similar on my own.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221230#p221230:2lwsvpo8 said:
pidjones » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:08 pm[/url]":2lwsvpo8]
Park in the garage? Move to a better neighborhood?

No space in a garage. It's occupied by 8 motorcycles.

It appears cat theft is on the rise nation wide (especially in densely populated area) due to the precious metal price hike and of course the Corona thing.
Good neighborhood in this case would be the boondocks (that sounds attractive I have to say) where it is not economical for the thieves to drive around looking for victims.

Luckily there is a street lamp right in front of my house so my drive way is well lit which I hope deter the thieves. (The victimized Prius was parked a bit away in the dark.)

Converter theft has skyrocketed as a result of several things... first and foremost the appearance of cordless 4" grinders and sawzalls...

Second is the proliferation of scrap purchasing for their precious metals.

Trucks are particularly easy targets... because they sit up high enough for a guy to easily roll under and cut it free. Second, because a large pipe cutter, with the handle cut down, will slip in, and sever the tubing silently.

A locality here did a sting... caught 32 guys attempting to steal catcons from trucks in a lot in the last year... there's four guys sitting in jail right now awaiting trial who have no 'real' names... the rest all prosecuted, but the gig is, hop out of a car, walk a lot, rip out a catcon, another car comes in, hand catcon and tools through door, and run away some other direction to be picked up by some other car. Total process is about three minutes.

My opinion: Eliminate catcons from diesel trucks, and bring back the public pillory stockade. Four months of 14 hour days should solve it pretty quick.

I'd hide a motion sensor out there that can 'see' the underside ofthe car... and tie it to a 'quiet' alarm inside. I won't tell you what I'd do once the sensor wakes me up, you can use your imagination.

Y'know, a remote start would be pretty fun!!!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221230#p221230:pmkr21zu said:
pidjones » February 22nd, 2021, 9:08 pm[/url]":pmkr21zu]
Park in the garage? Move to a better neighborhood?

Around where I'm at, thefts happen in better neighborhoods.

After all, why would you steal from poor people? The nice vehicles are in the nice neighborhoods.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221244#p221244:pmkr21zu said:
desertrefugee » Yesterday, 1:04 pm[/url]":pmkr21zu]
I like the way your mind works, Dave. But, there's a certain satisfaction in being able to act directly. Again, use your imagination...

In classic internet fashion, I would suggest some powerful strobe lights, and at about 100db, Rick Astley belting out "Never Gonna Give You Up"...

I like the way your mind works, Dave. But, there's a certain satisfaction in being able to act directly. Again, use your imagination...

I'm sorry, Saga... but this is one of those cases where, if I were to describe a method suitable, and someone were to try it...

1) I'd get blamed for it...
2) and I wouldn't get the satisfaction of actually DOING it.
:smilie_happy:

But really... if I did... it would be ghastly. It would make the newspapers, and the viral video of it happening, with the audible wail, the sizzling, popping, hiss of them as they expire, and a visual remains of the individual would be such that NOBODY would EVER even THINK of doing it again.

So I can't do that. Believe me, I'm a really nice guy, I love people, I love animals, but my technical capacity and focus are so intense, that I really should NOT suggest it. I am of the opinion that it would not be considered 'Cruel and Unusual Punishment', if we did it every day...

It'd just be cruel.

In classic internet fashion, I would suggest some powerful strobe lights, and at about 100db, Rick Astley belting out "Never Gonna Give You Up"...

Okay, so you just went from 'cruel and unusual' to TORTURE. c'mon... these guys are theives, not Manuel Noriega!!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Man, another posting on the neighborhood app.

Attempted Catalytic Converter Theft in Broad Daylight. Two individuals attempted to steal my second Catalytic Converter from my Toyota Sequoia in broad daylight at 12:40 PM today in Harbor Pines (265th & Leesdale). I didn't realize there were two Catalytic Converters on the SUV, the other one was stolen last weekend (see previous post).
I saw a faded Black 1997 Ford Explorer, CA License plate #6ASZ225 pull up next to my SUV, with a middle aged Hispanic woman driving, and young Hispanic male (early 20s) jumps out of the back seat and I instantly heard a loud sawing noise. I ran out front to investigate, she saw me honked the horn, and the male jumped into the back seat covering the sawzall and drove off down the street. Please be on the lookout, as they dont seem to care about being caught since they did this in the middle of the day.

The thieves are getting bold, kinda reminds me of racoons scavenging garbage bins. LOL

So I ordered this from eBay. It's $20. Cheap enough for experiment.
s-l1600 (2).jpg

I am thinking of installing wires around Cat. Thieves must cut it to remove the Cat which should trigger the alarm.

Unfortunately, the wires will melt once you start the engine... unless you had 'em wrapped in something really-high-temp... they'd probably melt anyway.

Take the system apart, and fish a 3ft piece of hardened-steel drill rod right through the catalyst... then thread the pipes back together. When they try to saw, they'll get to the drill rod, and it'll just spin....

And then shoot them.

> Unfortunately, the wires will melt once you start the engine... unless you had 'em wrapped in something really-high-temp... they'd probably melt anyway.

I was thinking of temp. probe wire for barbecue thermometer and place it close to the pipe but with slight air gap as much as possible.

> Take the system apart, and fish a 3ft piece of hardened-steel drill rod right through the catalyst... then thread the pipes back together. When they try to saw, they'll get to the drill rod, and it'll just spin....

This is a good idea but the downside is I need to take the cat apart.