Head gasket whinge...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gc33

Reaction score
So I'm on the hunt for a set of head gaskets for my 1000 build. Note that I will only use oem head gaskets due to my experience aftermarkets many years ago.
I begin my search with all the usual vendors... Oem ranging between $50 to $70 each plus the killer shipping so I'm trying to work out best shipping deal/package as well.
I also check our Australian online Honda parts... $155 each!
Im thinking this can't be right so I call a random stealers hip... I stand corrected... $167 each!!
My fellow Australians will no doubt vouche for this...
And the businesses here in Australia complain because we buy over seas... Gee I wonder why we do...

Attachments

• 20210317_105150.jpg
    20210317_105150.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 161
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221531#p221531:1akhiz60 said:
joedrum » 37 minutes ago[/url]":1akhiz60]
Best gaskets I've ever used were also the cheapest they were on Amazon and were not the stock goo gaskets had wider filtering for sealing and some kind of paper composite ..
I shall bear that in mind Joe....

i have used genuine Honda. also i have used Vesrah kits. I use a piece of wet and dry taped to a small bit of plate glass. a few drips of oil on the wet and dry do not hurt. remember , the desired result is to be flat and clean. not sanded down. I also firmly believe that most gasket failures on the first attempt are due to poor prep. i always use a thin spray of copper sealer on the gasket , both sides. i think that , especially with head gaskets , the devil is in the detail. so, clean the surfaces ,then clean them again, and then clean them again . just to make sure.

believe me, once you have had to redo the job, you will be certain they are clean and flat.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221561#p221561:208kzdrc said:
aussiegold » Today- 20:36[/url]":208kzdrc]
i have used genuine Honda. also i have used Vesrah kits. I use a piece of wet and dry taped to a small bit of plate glass. a few drips of oil on the wet and dry do not hurt. remember , the desired result is to be flat and clean. not sanded down. I also firmly believe that most gasket failures on the first attempt are due to poor prep. i always use a thin spray of copper sealer on the gasket , both sides. i think that , especially with head gaskets , the devil is in the detail. so, clean the surfaces ,then clean them again, and then clean them again . just to make sure.

believe me, once you have had to redo the job, you will be certain they are clean and flat.
As I say here at work...if you haven't got time to do the job right the 1st time, then you definately don't have the time to do it a 2nd time...
As for everything.... Painting, welding,cooking....preparation is key.
When my head gaskets on my old 76 went when I was a young bloke, the guy who did my gaskets was very meticulous with surface prep... Twice.... Until we fitted oem Honda.... Twice bitten 3 times shy...

Hmmm ...if your boring out to over sized pistons ..I would wait till I got the pistons to decide witch gaskets I would use ...the fire ring on the Honda stock gaskets and most After market gaskets is the worse thing about them ...but I bet the 1100 gasket might be the best bet for sealing ...I sure wait ...one thing I can say for sure OEM and others fire rings ate just borderline capable along with floating sleeves is a bad mix ...so do your best on gasket selection as you seem to be doing on this build ..

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221570#p221570:3qh4asvy said:
joedrum » 2021-03-21- 13:00[/url]":3qh4asvy]
Hmmm ...if your boring out to over sized pistons ..I would wait till I got the pistons to decide witch gaskets I would use ...the fire ring on the Honda stock gaskets and most After market gaskets is the worse thing about them ...but I bet the 1100 gasket might be the best bet for sealing ...I sure wait ...one thing I can say for sure OEM and others fire rings ate just borderline capable along with floating sleeves is a bad mix ...so do your best on gasket selection as you seem to be doing on this build ..
Yeah good point #joedrum... I've got a set of 1.0 pistons coming from over your way. I was going to go 30thou (0.75) but the guys had 1.0 in stock and needed to order the 0.75 in. So I figured bugger it... 1.0 it is.
So the 1100 gasket may be the go..

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221624#p221624:2tbckeg0 said:
Dusterdude » Today- 2:30[/url]":2tbckeg0]
You might try cometic gaskets

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk
Just checked cometic... No gaskets for the good ole wing...sent them an email and asked the question but I highly doubt they will.. Unless you know something that I haven't found??..

Damn,naw it was just a thought

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

I talked to Cometic a few years back about oversized head gaskets. At THAT time they were making head gasket for 1000 or 1100, I’m not sure which.
Sorry my memory isn’t as good as it used to be. Might be worth a phone call.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221628#p221628:20l6povi said:
dan filipi » Today- 14:18[/url]":20l6povi]
I talked to Cometic a few years back about oversized head gaskets. At THAT time they were making head gasket for 1000 or 1100, I’m not sure which.
Sorry my memory isn’t as good as it used to be. Might be worth a phone call.
Thanks Dan. I have emailed them and will see... They are not listed on website...

Latest posts