The long grinding wait

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daeouse

Stubbornly Optimistic!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
2022 Harley Sportster 883 (daily), 1986 GL 1200A "Wing Zero"
I have recently discovered a new form of torture: the strain of scraping (almost literally) pennies together to buy a bike when the budget is very tight.

I imagine many of you all have experienced this torture, and I marvel at how anyone survives it! With the possibility of being offered the opportunity to purchase a bike from Vince’s collection sometime this year (or early next year), I’m almost frantic when I look at my budget. It feels like every time I get some money together, something else needs money dumped into it, and it’s frustrating.

I know this probably comes across like whining, but I guess I just wanted to see how some of you all overcame the strain/depression/anxiety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joedrum":2spgas31 said:
Overcame it ...I’m still in the middle of it since losing all my bikes

I missed what happened regarding all your bikes. At some point I’m going to have to talk to you about that on the side. I imagine how hard it can be for a guy like you, who’s had bikes for a very long time.

Ohara":x26zescp said:
I know the feeling very well. Unfortunately I do not know the cure.

Supposedly, I have been told that the only thing I can do is work on my patience.

On a related note, I am moving later in the year, and if I can get a place with a garage, I’ll at least have somewhere to work on my bike. Whenever I get it. LOL

Moving next week myself. I think that is why My funds are very limited at this time. Many costs involved in moving and a LOT OF WORK. Been at this location for over 30 years so a lot of stuff had accumulated. Why is it at times like these that great bargains come along that are just not affordable.?

The new house does come with a fantastic garage so I can begin accumulating again..

Ohara":apyg8wt4 said:
Moving next week myself. I think that is why My funds are very limited at this time. Many costs involved in moving and a LOT OF WORK. Been at this location for over 30 years so a lot of stuff had accumulated. Why is it at times like these that great bargains come along that are just not affordable.?

The new house does come with a fantastic garage so I can begin accumulating again..

I firmly believe that it is the way of the universe, that when you don’t have the ability to get something it’s when the best deals are.

The old adage you either have the time or the money, just not both at the same time.

Ansimp":3bqoacc6 said:
The old adage you either have the time or the money, just not both at the same time.

The sad truth...

Actually, 3 factors are at work here: Time, Money, and Energy.
For young people, energy is very available. Money and time are inversely related. If you work, you have money but no time. If you have time, money is scarce.

Pity the retirees: they have time (no jobs) and some money, but energy quickly declines after 65. You can't win.

PurpleGL1200I":mzus69yr said:
For young people, energy is very available. Money and time are inversely related. If you work, you have money but no time. If you have time, money is scarce.

Pity the retirees: they have time (no jobs) and some money, but energy quickly declines after 65. You can't win.

Truth.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210258#p210258:3ubvxyq6 said:
joedrum » 2019-06-19- 14:29[/url]":3ubvxyq6]
Hi Joe.
Should I inquire about the loss of all of your bikes? I have been through 2 wives, many g-friends, and 2 children, but have only lost the bikes I sold, even if begrudgingly so. I have also moved recently after a long stay in my last house of 21 years, and the "accumulation"/"collection" of everything was just preponderous. Moving everything myself :whip: didn't used to be so laborious, but I was 50 then, and had sworn never to move again just prior to doing so, lol! :head bang:
I decided to sell my house and property, and reside in my auto-repair garage in the neighboring town. At least all my "children get to live with me, the running ones, anyway. I have 2 upstairs rooms for me and my 12 yr old Min-Pin, but half of my life has been living in storage 1 mile up the street, sigh. I am still re-modeling to make my garage more home-like :builder: but it has kept me out of trouble, mostly.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210340#p210340:2l5qejjk said:
PurpleGL1200I » June 21st, 2019, 5:52 pm[/url]":2l5qejjk]

No longer young, but I did just leave a job just to get more time. In theory, we'll save money via some needed DIY projects instead of hiring them out. But the folks are getting old, and I want to spend time with them while I still can.

There's things I don't want to regret 20 years down the road.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210348#p210348:15ac8yy7 said:
GTC@MSAC » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:18 pm[/url]":15ac8yy7]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210258#p210258:15ac8yy7 said:
joedrum » 2019-06-19- 14:29[/url]":15ac8yy7]
Hi Joe.
Should I inquire about the loss of all of your bikes? I have been through 2 wives, many g-friends, and 2 children, but have only lost the bikes I sold, even if begrudgingly so. I have also moved recently after a long stay in my last house of 21 years, and the "accumulation"/"collection" of everything was just preponderous. Moving everything myself :whip: didn't used to be so laborious, but I was 50 then, and had sworn never to move again just prior to doing so, lol! :head bang:
I decided to sell my house and property, and reside in my auto-repair garage in the neighboring town. At least all my "children get to live with me, the running ones, anyway. I have 2 upstairs rooms for me and my 12 yr old Min-Pin, but half of my life has been living in storage 1 mile up the street, sigh. I am still re-modeling to make my garage more home-like :builder: but it has kept me out of trouble, mostly.

Yes all my stuff was sold by wife when I was gone ...all total I lost a shop I called the dog house cause I was going to redo greyhound bus in there ..building was 60x40ft ...had all the parts in oldwings collected over the years ...many things were that we’re not known to do to oldwings were learned there ...like right now I just broke a belt and I’m thinking bent some valves ..hopefully that’s it ...if I was there I’d have the bike going as soon as I got a head gasket ...as I probably 10 or so heads there ...lost all my tools guns everything I had .

joedrum":2z6awo53 said:
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210348#p210348:2z6awo53 said:
GTC@MSAC » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:18 pm[/url]":2z6awo53]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210258#p210258:2z6awo53 said:
joedrum » 2019-06-19- 14:29[/url]":2z6awo53]
Hi Joe.

Yes all my stuff was sold by wife when I was gone ...all total I lost a shop I called the dog house cause I was going to redo greyhound bus in there ..building was 60x40ft ...had all the parts in oldwings collected over the years ...many things were that we’re not known to do to oldwings were learned there ...like right now I just broke a belt and I’m thinking bent some valves ..hopefully that’s it ...if I was there I’d have the bike going as soon as I got a head gasket ...as I probably 10 or so heads there ...lost all my tools guns everything I had .

Wait. She sold your stuff out from under you while you were away? It read like that. That’s a terrible thing to do to a spouse.

Yah the even uglier deal here is ...she put a 12 gauge shotgun in her mouth and killed herself not long ago ..pretty much destroyed the family that’s left ...somehow as always my fault ...and again I was a 1000 miles away ....something was said ..she did this in front of two of our kids ...there actually adults now barely...

joedrum":djl4ysxb said:
Yah the even uglier deal here is ...she put a 12 gauge shotgun in her mouth and killed herself not long ago ..pretty much destroyed the family that’s left ...somehow as always my fault ...and again I was a 1000 miles away ....something was said ..she did this in front of two of our kids ...there actually adults now barely...

Bloody hell...
I have nothing to say.
Do you need anything a broke family-man can offer? I don’t have much, but if you need it...

Joe,
I used to believe the worst a woman could do was to just leave, now I know that's the absolute best thing they can do! My life is is heaven compared to what you are having to recoupe from! Makes me downright ashamed to be so fortunate, at times. You need more M-Cycle friends to enjoy living, as opposed to that chaos.
I have 3 GL1000 project bikes, so if you need stuff, maybe I can be of some help. I'm kinda anchored here at my shop, but I'd be happy to do what I can! -Graves-