Making a Solenoid Boxer 4 Engine

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213458#p213458:1vth7usi said:
Steve83 » Yesterday, 2:20 pm[/url]":1vth7usi]
Nice! I'm doing something similar with a Visible V-8...magnets inside the pistons and coils around the cylinders. It might work...

Well, Steve... you'll at least have this one as a tutorial... but take it for what it's worth... He succeeded in some things, but failed in others.

This kind of thing happens frequently when people learn to machine on CNC, not in real life. Lots of wasted steps, lots of wasted materials and effort, and a considerable loss of precision... and a solenoidal engine that won't self-start when dead-centered. He should've rotated the rear two 90 degrees.

Steve... if you do this with your 'visible V8', use rod magnets instead of plain steel. Use shorter stroke, wind the coils much 'shorter', use finer wire. Drive it with a stepper motor driver, or hall-effect sensors on the crankshaft.

Since the V8 crank is a dual-plane, you'll be able to start it from a standstill in any position. With magnets, you can reverse the polarity of the windings to both push and pull the pistons... this will allow you to run it very slow, or fast.

Very strong magnets are installed inside the pistons. 1" speaker voice coils with plenty of extra windings will be installed around the cylinders. Rocker switches will be driven off the rear of the crankshaft, hidden inside the "transmission" housing. Yes, the dual-plane crankshaft will allow for self-starting. A DC power supply will be used, with a potentiometer inside the carburetor to act as a "throttle" to vary the field strength. A polarity-reversing switch might be used, not sure yet, as engines tend to run in only one direction. I also might add extra rocker switches to fire LED spark plugs.

A very slow project, that may or may not ever be completed...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213499#p213499:16dufm7m said:
DaveKamp » Yesterday, 6:00 pm[/url]":16dufm7m]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213458#p213458:16dufm7m said:
Steve83 » Yesterday, 2:20 pm[/url]":16dufm7m]
Nice! I'm doing something similar with a Visible V-8...magnets inside the pistons and coils around the cylinders. It might work...

Well, Steve... you'll at least have this one as a tutorial... but take it for what it's worth... He succeeded in some things, but failed in others.

This kind of thing happens frequently when people learn to machine on CNC, not in real life. Lots of wasted steps, lots of wasted materials and effort, and a considerable loss of precision... and a solenoidal engine that won't self-start when dead-centered. He should've rotated the rear two 90 degrees.

Steve... if you do this with your 'visible V8', use rod magnets instead of plain steel. Use shorter stroke, wind the coils much 'shorter', use finer wire. Drive it with a stepper motor driver, or hall-effect sensors on the crankshaft.

Since the V8 crank is a dual-plane, you'll be able to start it from a standstill in any position. With magnets, you can reverse the polarity of the windings to both push and pull the pistons... this will allow you to run it very slow, or fast.
It’s just Fun stuff.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213598#p213598:40ugdgbm said:
skiri251 » Today, 1:10 pm[/url]":40ugdgbm]
I wish I had his setup.
Of all those parts, I can only make conrods with my hacksaw and HF cheapy drill press. LOL

I've got a friend who, as a teenager in an Eastern Bloc country, made a replacement connecting rod for his salvaged single-cylinder Jawa on a concrete doorstep, with a cast-iron bread-pan, a bucket of playground sand, a hacksaw and a file... finish-bored it with a hand-brace.

It's not the machine, it's the man. From the perspective of practical and economical engineering, CNC really limits one's capacity to learn about the realities of building. Sure, what they build looks cool, but take away the computer, stepper motors, and G-code, and most guys can't build.

Some people think the stuff I do is amazing or fantastic... in truth, it ain't squat... :headscratch:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213608#p213608:2a0tapti said:
DaveKamp » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:26 pm[/url]":2a0tapti]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213598#p213598:2a0tapti said:
skiri251 » Today, 1:10 pm[/url]":2a0tapti]
I wish I had his setup.
Of all those parts, I can only make conrods with my hacksaw and HF cheapy drill press. LOL

I've got a friend who, as a teenager in an Eastern Bloc country, made a replacement connecting rod for his salvaged single-cylinder Jawa on a concrete doorstep, with a cast-iron bread-pan, a bucket of playground sand, a hacksaw and a file... finish-bored it with a hand-brace.

It's not the machine, it's the man. From the perspective of practical and economical engineering, CNC really limits one's capacity to learn about the realities of building. Sure, what they build looks cool, but take away the computer, stepper motors, and G-code, and most guys can't build.

Some people think the stuff I do is amazing or fantastic... in truth, it ain't squat... :headscratch:

That's like famous "The World's Fastest Indian" story.

I don't have a lathe or milling machine of any sort, CNC or not.

Exactly the case... (but not the lemon tree... :whistling: )

As for lathe or mill... we CAN fix that, Skiri-san...

How are you for shop space? Got a 2-car with a workbench?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213627#p213627:3rxgdd4o said:
DaveKamp » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:59 am[/url]":3rxgdd4o]

Exactly the case... (but not the lemon tree... :whistling: )

As for lathe or mill... we CAN fix that, Skiri-san...

How are you for shop space? Got a 2-car with a workbench?

Ummm yes. 2-car with a workbench but 8 motorcycles have to go in too. (sigh)
So barely enough space to work on one.
No space in the backyard either.

Having ridden my GN400 'truck bike' from highway 1 from Wilmington up the beach to Redondo, and back down Anzo on a pleasant evening, I have an excellent firsthand grasp for what your saying... I wish I could have 8 motorcycles in my garage, but our seasonal circumstances are substantially less forgiving, so mine have a storage spot dedicated in the dairy barn... garage is heated, and there's just enough space for the wife's car to hide during blizzards and heavy rain. i'm in process of replacing two old farm buildings of mostly dirt floors, with a new environmentally controlled shop, at which point, her garage will be just for her car, and the 'guard cat'.

But tools being the fundamental basis for definition our evolutionary status , it's natural and necessary that tools must exist with funtionality within on our lives always at some level in excess of our domiciles' practical capacities to do so.

And I offer, as indisputable proof, the fact that it wasn't naturally that way, we would not have Lowe's and Home Depot... :smilie_happy:

See... man's capacity to utilize tools is second only to his creative ability to solve problems by MAKING tools.

A basic metalworking lathe, even with very limited experience and skill, empowers an individual with capacity to easily overcome some of the most difficult challenges at practically zero cost...

Oh, and is fun. It's like the day yout give a 5 year old boy his first nail gun... the treehouse will never be the same... especially after he lands the Hilton Garden franchise...

I should sell some of my bikes.. especially because I am not riding them much.
But I just CAN'T.
I resurrected half of them from fairly bad state. BSA, CL125A, Bridgestone got rusted frozen pistons.
XT500 got modified to look like 60's street bike.
I still have too much attachment to them.

As for lathe and stuff, renting a shop space is also too expensive around here. (sigh)
Maybe I should move to a countryside..