Paint striping.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianstaley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have now got too many coats on the side and faux tank covers. I am having a bad time with this so I need some advice.
1) I have used aircraft paint stripper but the paint on there just melts but is a hell of a job to get off.

So I would like to know if anyone has used some form of blasting to get their paint down to the base plastic colour. The colour I think is moulded right through with the paint, colour? Clearly sand blasting is going to be too harsh any ideas out there?
Thanks Ian

If it's relatively fresh paint lacquer thinner should remove it. Keep the rags sopping wet. And wear some heavy rubber gloves. If it's old paint try the thinner it may work. If not try 0000 steel wool and acetone but that stuff dries almost as fast as you pour it.

The paint stripper "cling" does a great job, however I don't know if it will attach plastic or not. Bead blasting is an option but at a low pressure, anything you try should be tried on junk plastic first to make sure the results are what you want.

Question, what type of paint are you using? And how are you spraying it?

Acetone does the trick, :clapping: :salute: :yahoo: it just so happens that the covers are plastic not FG so the acetone takes it off real quick as it is new. I just happen to have had about 4 litres of the stuff here. Most of it is gone, maybe a litre left but it has taken it down to the first undercoat I put over the old colour. So will do the smaller panels in the morning as that stuff stinks. Hands are so cold now, even with rubber and mechanics gloves on still freezing from the evaporation. Bank holiday here Monday so nothing is open so Tuesday get some more Acetone. They might yet get done before we go to the states. :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172720#p172720:3sbvh55q said:
OldWrench » Sun May 01, 2016 8:19 pm[/url]":3sbvh55q]
The paint stripper "cling" does a great job, however I don't know if it will attach plastic or not. Bead blasting is an option but at a low pressure, anything you try should be tried on junk plastic first to make sure the results are what you want.

Question, what type of paint are you using? And how are you spraying it?

I have used as undercoat after prepping the surface, I used a plastic undercoat. I then used a normal grey primer, I used some ready to spray Black but as that didn't quite work the way I wanted then it was taken back, my Honda "Norton" style logo was painted over the grey in a water based silver. Now at this point I used my paint for final colour my cherry black.

That didn't do my logo any good wither. So looking around on the French site I got my cherry from they say 1st Black then the red on top. That's where it all went T*ts up so needed to take it all off. I used Synstrip aircraft stripper and what a mess just hard gloop was coming off. Slabghost came up with try acetone as it was reasonably fresh paint. I just happened to have a gallon well 3/4 hanging around so just went out side and started on in with the acetone. Nice result, even gone back to first plastic promoter layer. So Right now happy.

I will just get what is over by rubbing down I have some air driven DA's then I will start again form undercoat. The under coat I will use is Omicron filler primer 2K, I am hoping to get to at least the black base coat Vauxhall Sapphire Black and the logo done before we go to the states. Because the Black is ready to spray, I will let the first coat dry, then put the logo on this time in pearl white instead of silver. 2nd coat of black, the three coats of the Interference Black/Cherry I only need to lay it one in thin coats so I am hoping that the ghost logo will be visible.

I will finish off with HS 2k clear coat. Before the clear goes on I am hoping that I will have the effect that I want, so I may yet put some red pearly into the first coat of clear just to tinge the coat. Between the second and third I will be wet sanding to remove the orange peel if any (there will be) The final coat will go on wet.

It is a good job it sounds easier than it is. At least I have 2 airbrush stencils of the logo. Makes that bit easy.
:yes:

That is really interesting, the only technique that I have ever seen or heard of is mixing a little base color with your clear coat to get the ghost effect. I would love to see some pictures when your done. Aren't two and three stage paints great.

This is the reason my painting projects are non existant :popcorn: WAY TOO MUCH TROUBLE for me :roll: Your patience level is WAY ABOVE MINE!!! :smilie_happy: Your work is beautiful :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172752#p172752:79p9mhbe said:
OldWrench » Mon May 02, 2016 6:06 am[/url]":79p9mhbe]
That is really interesting, the only technique that I have ever seen or heard of is mixing a little base color with your clear coat to get the ghost effect. I would love to see some pictures when your done. Aren't two and three stage paints great.

To get this effect you need to choose a colour that will normally be seen, only in bright or sunlight can you see the ghost. The problem with ghosting is it is very relative for the person doing it or wanting it. My problem is all off my own making, youtube is very consistent in showing you how some one else does it.

However, as I understand it there are generally only one of two base coats used, Black or Silver and all the variations of those two colours inbetween. What I am trying to achieve is a dark base with a silver logo, the logo will become the "ghost". The first time I tried this I tried making the ghost logo with a slightly darker colour with a red tint, that eventual got lost.

So the colour I want is Black/Cherry or Cherry/Black much the same in custom world. So I have chosen as my final colour one that is called Interference Black (first Picture) below.

Interference Cherry Black2heather.jpg

Now the colour Cheery Black or Black Cherry is very subjective see the pictures of the other "Black/Cherry"

Black-Cherry.jpg

And yet another .....

cherryblack1.jpg

So as you can see "Much" the same colour but different.

So the first time I did the logo it was done in a adapted black, after the top coat and a red pearl additive, that didn't work so strip down number 1.

So this time I did it different, first the undercoat, this took me three days as something on the long side fake tank kept lifting the undercoat. That was eventually fixed. So this time round while both false tank covers were in undercoat I did the logo in a Sparkling Silver, See the two pics below.

Side panel 1.jpg

sidepanel 2.jpg

So from there I could put down the base colour, like an idiot I put down the interference black ! :head bang: So what was wrong with that.......

Like a dipstick I didn't put the base coat (black) down first, hang my head in shame. So now I have had to get about 5 coats of paint in one form or another, if I don't then the paint underneath wont be able to dry right. So the two long panels have been removed of all paint down to original state, so I will be rubbing down all the panels yet again, to start afresh.

So the ghost what should happen is the base colour black first, then the logo, in silver or whatever colour you want and then the three coats of the interference paint. then 3 coats of clear, the first will have some pearl mixed in with the clear, maybe the second coat too, after the second let it dry for at least a week, then I will wet sand it to get rid of any orange peel with "one" final top coat. this is in two parts, a very light coat to make it tacky, followed by a wet coat, with about 60-70% overlap.

So this time I am hoping to get that ghost image.

You can see a real good example here ....> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o2LMHxJ6FE

As I understand it you plan 3 thin layers of black under the cherry? If so. I think your best chance of getting the ghost logo visible would be to apply it after the first two layers of black. Then a very light film of black over it. Then continue with your cherry. Try that method on some scrap.

V no other way around. I think what I am doing wrong is the first stage, that should be the base coat two or three coats should be enough, that will be black. The black that I have is a GM colour that is use over here called sapphire black, it has a bit of a sparkle in it. then I need to do my logo. That is the problem part, it needs to be just visible in the sunlight or when looking at an angle and this I think is where I am going wrong. To get the "ghost" it needs to be between the black and the cherry but close enough to one or the other colours to get that ghost effect.

Being an amateur painter and just starting to try and do these effects is the BIGGEST problem, experience. I don't have the facilities to be able to try this out on scrap or anything else. The paint booth or lack of one is the prime reason it is all going wrong, I have to make the mistakes to learn from them. But no booth means long times between attempts. I am dependent on the weather. If I was in a booth i could do three or four experiments a day. I might have to resort to covering everything in my outside workshop in the garden and try spraying in there. To make matters worse the paint isn't cheap either. I might even have to get a sealer to put between the layers to isolate them from each other

Tomorrow everything is open again here, May Day holiday today so nothing is open except supermarkets. so I am going to see if I can get the panels blasted with some sort of soft media so that will be vapour blasting I think. Once that is done two days of prep before I can lay down the first coat of undercoat.

Keep happy guys time is on my side.

I would definitely try using your workshop for painting, I can't imagine attempting what you are outside. As long as you are using the same kind of paint, you shouldn't need a sealer. However you do need enough transparency so your ghost image will show up that is why I thought about mixing color with your clear coat that way you can control the level of transparency. I grew up in a body shop and have done a lot of painting, but nothing like you are attempting. I know a couple of guys that are really good at automotive paint graphics, I will pick their brains or see if they will help you out.

One other thing, humidity will effect paint, try not to paint when on days that have high humidity. Our paint booths not only filtered the air, they kept the humidity below 30.

Oh lord I need a paint booth. where I live the humidity is fairly stable, I have a car port out side the front door but it is still open on two sides. It doesn't get too hot or windy under the porch, but I can't really control all the parameters that I relay need to. That is one reason it takes so much time. Just wait for the right sort of conditions. I have even thought about making a "plastic" booth outside, I can get some thickish poly sheet, and make a rustic booth. But that doesn't stop the wind. Still I am not spraying a car, that is fortunate and the bits are small so I can usually get away with it. This time it was all my own making.

I have some real good 2K top coat here, I also have dyes, pigments and pearls in jars and packets. All of them need to be mixed in with the Top Coat. I will get there eventually and I don't care if I am still doing this come Christmas I will do it. Part of my family trait Pig Headedness, so did my brother who was born in the States, we share a mother, but he is or was just like me, I didn't get the chance to meet him or our Mom. She was pushed out before my 5th birthday, much to my regret. That is the only thing that I do regret not finding my other half of my family sooner. But we still share the same traits.

So today I have spent a long time outside with my Air DA sander and got all the crap of and down to where I can restart the process. So this time, I will be using 2K Filler undercoat first, rub it down and one more coat. Then I am in with the base coat, again I have ready to spray Black two to three coats should see that done, two coats I hope. I am going to let that dry for a month while I am visiting my American family for the first time. Real excited about that as we leave here on the 14th and get back on the 12th of June.
The paint should be rock hard by then, so I will gently rub down the black with 800-1000 grit, put the logo on. Now comes the hard part, what colour for the ghost effect. Bearing in mind that the interference red should have no more than 3 coats otherwise the "Black" will disappear. So at this point I need to make the right decision regarding the Logo. I need to see the logo, but only at certain angles or in bright sunlight. So right now I am thinking my "black" mixed in with something else to make it "stand out". It ether has to be darker or brighter , but all I have seen on Youtube, it is always brighter.

Anyway that's for another day. but any info you can get me from a pro always thankful. If it is taking me nearly 6 months to do this the engine should be about a year. :smilie_happy:

Ian, you have a lot more patience than I do, heck I have procrastinated painting mine for way too long and I want it a basic two tone. Normally the painting is the easy part, the prep work is what takes all the work. I just thought of something, do you have any autobody shops in your area, if so you might ask them if they are willing to rent out their paint booth, I know in our area some of the shops will rent their booths when not in use. They might also be able to help you with what you are trying of achieve.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172810#p172810:5ght6779 said:
OldWrench » Tue May 03, 2016 7:29 pm[/url]":5ght6779]
Ian, you have a lot more patience than I do, heck I have procrastinated painting mine for way too long and I want it a basic two tone. Normally the painting is the easy part, the prep work is what takes all the work. I just thought of something, do you have any autobody shops in your area, if so you might ask them if they are willing to rent out their paint booth, I know in our area some of the shops will rent their booths when not in use. They might also be able to help you with what you are trying of achieve.

I have asked those around here, problem they have is insurance 3rd party, if the screw up they are covered for fires etc. I am not. So just got to do it best I can, the good news is it is going to be warmer for the rest of the week.