Two Stroke Motor Freeze

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedoo2

Reaction score
I picked up two 1991 Kawasaki KE100s today for my grandsons. They are in excellent condition and I got them for $200 total. One of the bikes have a piston that is stuck and I'm wondering how best to get it loosened up. I read about this in the past but never have had the problem before. Can't imagine it would be any different than a four stroke????

IMG-0784-1.jpg

Nice huh?

The last one I unstuck years ago was a 250 Honda ATC. At the time I didn’t know about pb blaster, I poured some trans fluid in through the spark plug hole and let it sit a couple days then it turned over. I bet pb blaster would have been faster.
It had very little compression so I honed the cylinder and put in new rings. I rode that thing hard for at least a year after that in the dunes and desert. It was surprisingly fast!
Sold it to some overseas guy collecting them.

I'm wondering if after soaking it for a day or two should I used the kick start or rock it back and forth in gear? Will a compression test work the same as the four stroke if it comes loose?

I have the cylinder full of PB Blaster and MMO. Luckily the piston was in the down cycle so I could get quite a bit in it. I'm going to leave it like it is for a day or two. I've read about using acetone and ATF and I may end up taking the head off. We"ll see.

Since I have two of these guys I'm going to work on the other one; clean the carb, look at all of the stuff that needs looked at after sitting for a long time. They clean up almost like new. No rust, never been off-road, always in a garage. Both at about 1000 miles.

Ultimate granddad deal.

Tried to free it up again today with no joy. If it is still rock hard tomorrow I'll go ahead and pull the head and take a look. Got to start some disassembly anyway. The carburetors are located behind the right engine case cover instead of inline with the air cleaner and the back of the bike like every other motorcycle ever made. Kawasaki had their reasons I suppose.

They have this huge air intake on the top of the motor that channels down into a pretty small air galley to the sealed right cover. It's 99cc so it doesn't need a ton of air but it's an odd set up.

The bike that is free has a clutch lever that is stuck and it's on the same side as the carbs so I can diagnose that while I tend to the carb. Need to change the fuel line. Both tanks have some rusty crap.

Kicking myself for forgetting the keys. Need to pull the tanks.

Dan, if you want to move this to the restoration thread that would be fine with me. I'll post up progress there if anyone is interested in it. Leave that up to you.

Figured out one problem. The clutch on Bike 1 would not pull. I found out, by accident, that the clutch will not engage with the kickstand down. Go figure. Very smooth too.

I had a key made for the ignition and it works fine but it didn't work on the fork lock or seat lock. I took the seat lock in to the locksmith and he lubricated it and it freed up. I bought some of his lube but it still doesn't work on the fork. I'm going to let it marinate for a while but I wonder what would happen if I just cut the whole key thing off???? Just cutting off the tabs will not work. Something internal.

20181101-171733.jpg

Cleaned the plug (gross), added new transmission and two-stroke oil for the automatic oiler. Put some red vinegar in the tank to clean out some light rust. I'll spray it down, if it cleans it enough, to prevent flash rust and add some new two-stroke gas. I'm sure that the petcock needs looked at too.

Getting close to try starting it up. Probably tomorrow.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206881#p206881:u72c6j0r said:
dan filipi » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:00 am[/url]":u72c6j0r]
I hope you can post a video of first startup. Those are the best times!

Uhh...not always. Just sayin'...

(I'm sure that in this case all will be right with the world!)

Came a long ways today. It does indeed start up and I took a video

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPsDuTo206raQj9-eMxSfEyccrk0i3rx1hXEUH3

I did this with a phone and having problems uploading to my storage site. Let me know if it doesn't work for you. Worked for me. 9 whole seconds, the wife is not exactly George Lucas. (I'm not exactly Harrison Ford) Need to figure out the idle because it's running like a bat out of hell. Thought I would see more smoke so I hope that the automatic oiler is working okay. But it runs

I found the last registration and it was for 1999. Who knows when it was last started. I also had to drill out the fork lock. A bit of a PIA but it finally gave up the ghost. Been a good day in the wedo garage.