1977 restoration just about done

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Workinman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought this Wing back in April. It had been sitting for at least 25 years. When I found it it was sitting in a horse stable. A little rough... some parts missing... but basically it was all there and hadn’t been messed with too bad. I have now done a complete restoration on it and it’s down to the “bug” stage. The temperature gauge doesn’t work, the gas gauge doesn’t work, it’s got a small vacuum leak even though I had Pistol Pete (Mark) do the carburetors. Apparently Mark decided to close up shop recently so I’ve had to find this leak myself and I’m waiting on parts to fix it. Other than those little items, she’s ready for a test ride and to snap a few shots to show everybody the new toy. I’m sorry I didn’t do a step by step of the restoration but I do have photos that I took along the way if anybody is interested. I will add some photos soon of the finished bike. This post, I reckon, is just to let you guys know that another Classic GoldWing has been brought back to life and will once again be roaming the streets. :Egyptian:

I always admire the guys take one that's that far over the edge and bring it back. I am lazy. I tend to find… or seek out projects that require somewhat less elbow grease. Don't get me wrong, I've busted my hump on a bunch of them, but if there's one that has somewhat less grime and decades of accumulated neglect, I would choose it before going through what you did.

Congratulations on the restoration and enjoy that motorcycle. After the Winter of course.

Congrats on bringing another one back. I agree, check the 7volt regulator for the gauges. On the vacuum leak, don't overlook the o-rings under the carb intake elbows.

Thanks, guys. I went ahead and ordered a 7 volt regulator from the Bay, but then decided to try to test the one I have and see if that’s possibly the problem. I’m “assuming “ that the regulator is the small box right under the turn signal flasher. I have 12 volts on one wire and 7.3 volts on the other, so I’m guessing that it’s working. I was pretty sure the fuel gauge wasn’t working when I tore the bike down and I missed the opportunity to buy a brand new one, so now I’m stuck. All the ones on the Bay look pretty bad and it’s doubtful that they work either. Truthfully, I can live without the gas gauge, but would like to have it functional just because. I’ve also ordered a new temperature sending unit HOPING that that is the reason for the temperature gauge not working. The fan kicks on and it’s not overheating, so I’m assuming the switch is bad.
As for the vacuum leak, the bike runs GREAT when it’s cold and the choke is on. Once warmed up and the choke is off, it has quite a hesitation and is slow to idle down when you goose it. To me, common symptoms of a vacuum leak. So, with engine warmed up and idling, I very carefully spray carb cleaner around all the possible leak areas and nothing changes AT ALL until I spray the air cut off valve. Then she idles up and smooths out for a few seconds before returning to normal. It will do it every single time, without fail, so I’m pretty sure my air cut off valve is leaking. I’ve ordered a new kit to repair it so hopefully that will be cured also. What are your thoughts on this? I’m sure Mark rebuilt the valve when he did the carbs, so I’m guessing just a faulty o ring or something. I would have thought he would have discovered this when he ran the carbs on the test engine, but we’re ALL human, right?
Sorry this is so long, I’m just bouncing ideas off you guys for your advice.
Thanks,
Chris

Latest posts