81 interstate or standard ?? rescue

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countryboy843

Reaction score
hi im new to this site but thought id share my project with the masses .......
i always wanted a goldwing so after 3 years of seeing this poor bike sitting along side the road with a for sale sign i bit the bullet and over paid for it febuary of 2011 . she sat for about 5 years in a yard uncovered so everyone can imagine and not sure if it came as a standard or an interstate ??

Attachments

• 03122011.jpg
    03122011.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 367
of coarse the carbs are shot , brakes froze and corroded , tires gone , clutch froze , fork and shock seals history . got my work cut out for my first wing just glad i knew someone that could help with a majority of the work . well we got her tore down and rbuilt or replaced what needed to be done and it felt like every time i got something fixed we found another problem

Attachments

• 03272011_004.jpg
    03272011_004.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 366
i dont really care for the look of a naked wing ( just my opinion ) so i started looking for the factory bags and trunk and lucked out on a search and found a complete set of bags , trunk and all brackets on a craigslist search out of maryland for 200.00 and 165.00 shiping

Attachments

• 04042011.jpg
    04042011.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 360
well it took about 3 months to get her running and ready for me to drive her home for the first time . man i was happy that day !!!!!!!!! even though it looked like a cabbage patch doll with all the different colors , lol

Attachments

• P4170006.JPG
    P4170006.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 362
i also lucked up and found a trailer for 200.00 while i was working on the bike so after i got a hitch installed i went and picked it up . i was scared at first cause of never pulling a trailer with a bike but man i never even noticed it back there

Attachments

• 04182011.JPG
    04182011.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 365
well its been almost a year now ive owned my wing and ive loved every mile of it and ive donne alot of work on her in the months following till she looked like this

Attachments

• 09272011.jpg
    09272011.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 357
had her about the way i wanted her to be and was driving to work on morning when i hit a deer running about 60 mph , well this didnt do the bike much good , she was still ridable but tore the fairing up , both fairing skirts , front fender gone and craked windshield . then to make things worse two weeks later was heading to work and hit another one this time it bent my forks . so after that i have parked her and i am going back through everything fixing some stuff i didnt the first time and rebuilding all the damage so as i get all done i will update pics

Attachments

• P9290069.JPG
    P9290069.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 210
IF the first picks are of the bike when you first cot it it looked great for sitting out sidr for 3 yrs. you dida lot of great work and the finished product looks great. Sorry about the deer incident, hope you survived without any damage. Good luck on the re rebuild. Watch those deer they come out of nowhere. Keep us posted on your prograss. By the way welcome to the site :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

Welcome aboard. You do nice work. I'm sure you'll have a real looker when you finsh this time as it was before.

since i am haveing to repaint most the parts i am going to repaint the whole bike and change the color scheme . keeping the blue ( it changes from blue to purple in different light ) and i am changing the silver to a metallic charcoal with high metallic silver pin stripping

Really nice work! You must really like it to fix it and fix it again. My sister hit a dog last summer with her Virago and it is totalled.(She's lucky to be alive) I hope you weren't too badly hurt with two deer collisions.

i got really lucky both times and never layed the bike down but the first one swung back and hit my leg when she bounced off the bike and hurt my leg but nothing serious ... other than loosing some underwear lol :smilie_happy:

well i got my new gas tank ready and painted . i have hated that the rubber strips between tank cover sections are torn or missing so i filled mine

Attachments

• IMG_20120116_142822.jpg
    IMG_20120116_142822.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 313
why cant things ever go right ???? i went ahead and started on the new fairing today after i finished the false tank , well sanded down the old paint cleaned and primed with no probs infact the primer came out so smooth i didnt water sand before base coat ( big mistake !!!) . i came back and hour later and it looked like craters all over it . this is a good example of things looking to good to be true and rushing a job

Latest posts