'84 1200 engine for a '82 GW

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t pull a bottom end apart is my advice. Horizontally opposed engines are notoriously easy on crank and big end bearings. :yes:

Bumping this up a bit. Brian - C-19 has accelerated a lot of my project thoughts, one of which is to rebuild the engine on my 1200 Limited Edition earlier than planned - it's tired and smoking like a banshee. Starting the process to get the engine out and pulled apart. Have all the parts needed (I think, but looking for more - want to keep the old girl going), have priced a honing of the cylinders to remove the glaze - approximately $125.00 CDN. The shop will also check piston to cylinder wall clearances. This shop did the heads for me. Have read through your thread again and will do so as I progress. There are no bandaid fixes for a tired engine, so the engine comes apart.

Ernest,

That sounds like a perfect project to keep you busy during Covid isolation. Pretty easy engine to work on because of Honda quality or design and manufacture.

In order to safely handle that big, heavy lump of an engine I would suggest you have some kind of lifting device. A transmission floor jack works well for putting engine in or out of the frame.

Look forward to following your progress. :popcorn: :popcorn:

Brian

Brian - Have had the engine out once before with a floor jack. Figure with the heads off should be able to lift onto the work bench with assistance. Have a Big Blue lift that can get the engine close to 27 or so inches off the ground, supposed to be for lifting the bike but will adapt to get the engine on the work bench:
Bike Lift 2.jpg
Bike at full height.jpg
Here's my engine build thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14067 Not going to elaborate on the frame removal and install. Hope to have out by end week. Have some parts to paint for my 1500. I decided to give the 1500 a fresh coat of paint because I did a panel repair and it made the rest of the bodywork look tired, and I needed a C-19 keep me busy project. The paint job turned out very good. The 1200 will be getting a new paint job as well.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=217867#p217867:egtywsu2 said:
Rednaxs60 » Today, 9:30 am[/url]":egtywsu2]
Brian - Have had the engine out once before with a floor jack. Figure with the heads off should be able to lift onto the work bench with assistance. Have a Big Blue lift that can get the engine close to 27 or so inches off the ground, supposed to be for lifting the bike but will adapt to get the engine on the work bench:View attachment 1 Here's my engine build thread: https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/ ... 24&t=14067 Not going to elaborate on the frame removal and install. Hope to have out by end week. Have some parts to paint for my 1500. I decided to give the 1500 a fresh coat of paint because I did a panel repair and it made the rest of the bodywork look tired, and I needed a C-19 keep me busy project. The paint job turned out very good. The 1200 will be getting a new paint job as well.
file.php

file.php

Is the bike very stable on that lift without straps?

It was a test when I got the lift. Wanted to see what the height was going to be. I would use the lift to get the bike in the air. Make a stand for front/rear wheels to take the weight, then strap it down. Would not leave it unsupported. I know get a bike lift you drive on, but only so much space in the garage.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=217867#p217867:2pkp7d8y said:
Rednaxs60 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:30 am[/url]":2pkp7d8y]
file.php

file.php

Oh yeah, looks just like my garage! Plenty of space, bike jack, work table.........plenty of space. :smilie_happy:

image.php

Brian - your thread has been dormant for a while, but thought I'd touch base and let you know that I finished my 1200 engine rebuild in January of this year. New rings installed by the local machine shop, but the fellow(s) there mentioned that they did not like the piston rings. The rings were an inexpensive set from Japan, and the machine shops comment was good indication that all might not be well. The engine continued to smoke on start, and a newly rebuilt engine should not. Ordered the tracker rings 1.0 mm over and will be installing these over the next few weeks, have my new to me 2014 Spyder RT LE to ride.

Took the rings to the machine shop for a look. Was told that these are probably Hasting rings:
Piston Rings.jpg

Have a few other issues that I intend to address, but this should be the last time the engine comes out for a while. Will let you now how the piston rings work.

Cheers

Ernest