GL1000 ignition theory

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyde

Reaction score
So to start, please dont say C5 or Dyna, im trying to build something I can fix at any parts store in the country if need be. Those are great options, just not what Im looking for.

Ive brought this idea up before on another site and it was shunned instantly because no one had done it so its not possible. The Neon coil, to me seems like an excellent option, but the points system (or Dyna S in my case) cannot handle the low ohm coil as it has no ignitors.

After poking around on a lot of hot rodder sites its fairly common for people to use points to trigger a standard GM HEI module and a modern coil for hotter ignitions. Ive personally used the HEI module to replace hard to find ignitors for a KZ440 so I know it will work on a bike designed with ignitors.

For the GL1000 Ill have to run two HEI ignitors, and use my Dyna to trigger them, with the HEI module supplying signal to the Neon coil. In theory it will take all of the load from the Dyna since it will be used only as a trigger signal.

There are some great minds on this site, who thinks it will work? Ill likely try it either way after I finish my single carb swap and post results but would like to hear if anyone sees a glaring flaw in this plan.

Someone long ago tried this or did this on a 1000 or 1100. I see no reason why it wouldn't work since points, igniters, and dyna all supply a ground signal far as I know.
Great mod and I think it has potential for a nice hot spark!

For your goal of any parts store repairable. I'd stay with points. Use the hei modules as ignitors and maybe neon or ranger coils with resistor on feed wire. I'm not sure how to match things up but maybe hondaman has it on his site. I would not try the dyna for this as they are not warranted for it. You could use pickups and magnets adapted from an 1100 or any other 4 cyl bike. Even those would be against the goal of any parts store repairable. For the stated goal points is your best option.

As far as the Dyna is concerned I plan to buy a spare to keep in my tool tray, I can install and time one on the side of the road with minimal tools. I've never messed with points on one of these the bike had a Dyna when I got it which lost a half after about 15 years so I replaced it with another. If that's the most viable option I could source a set of points though

Personally I like the points set up. I had them on previous bikes and they are easy to fix roadside. Your project build the way you like.

I have all the pieces to try this, just haven't done it. I am fearful the Neon coil may still be too low ohm for the HEI. Like Hondaman's setup, good quality points will likely outlive us. I toyed with the idea of a ballast in front of the coils and using an rpm window switch to bypass the ballast at a designated rom, say 5000. Add it all up-- it costs.

Try it.

Back in 1981 I bought a New HD lowrider .Tha electronic ignition was crap on all of them ,I think it was tha 2nd year experimental :swoon: model. Any how I bought all tha goods for a 79 model which had points. I only changed tha bare minimum parts ,cam breaker plate ,points condenser ect. Trashed tha electronic control module. Kept tha stock coil. Anyhow I had one of tha few new Hds would start with a couple kicks on a cold morning. Tha rest of tha Crew with Electronics hopped up and down like grasshoppers. :BigGrin: After a while they was selling kits at all tha swap meets to convert back to tha old school setup. I rode that bike 8 or 10 years run like a top.

Over the years I have always converted my points ignition to electronic pickup ( Pertronix units 30 years ago). I always kept the points in case of a failure but I never had a reason to ever use the points again. I don't know what your parts stores are like but points and condensers are getting quite hard to find and in many cases expensive down here.

My experience with points on my BSA.
Well actually it's not really the points but the cam.
The bore was worn and introduced excess play. Resulting in misfire.

Recently I switched to Boyer EI and all is good. (Thought about replacement cam/AAU but it costs >$300! Boyer was $145.)

Points and AAU need maintenance.

The rest of my fleet still have points so I need to be vigilant.

Ive brought this idea up before on another site and it was shunned instantly because no one had done it so its not possible. The Neon coil, to me seems like an excellent option, but the points system (or Dyna S in my case) cannot handle the low ohm coil as it has no ignitors.

That smells like the thought police at NGW, LOL