Hooch bike backyard motor change out

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pics
image.php

Found the shaddyest spot through the day to set up backyard bike shelter

image.php

Rainbow shelter to cover bike ....tarp and three pieces of pvc pipe ...time to start now ...

Pics
image.php

Well I’ve started .....well you can see my SCC unit I made ....bike look well worn ...the past few years the bike has suffer from lack of funds and a real home inside ..

image.php

Ahh nice shot of my 20$ lite and 20$ finder I’ve never painted yet ...and the sporter shorter wind shield I put on it ...my true wind shield is my full face helmet ...I use the ragged back rest and all tours nicely on and all day run on the interstate ...seat looks like hell but it’s comfortable ..like to have it recovered the same way ....

image.php

All my backyard skills comes from farming and working on things out in the open
....now I need some head gaskets soon ...want to get the bike ready to travel and I’m confident now the bike can go anywhere ...it actually has already ....so glad I got the bike figure out and it wasn’t costly :builder:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208019#p208019:14t69xir said:
dan filipi » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:20 pm[/url]":14t69xir]
Doghouse 2.0 looks good.

Doghouse 2.0 was the first thing I thought when I saw those pictures!

Pics
image.php

Backyard sky hook

image.php

Motor out ..next job is trying to replace stator in new motor ....without tearing up the rear cover gasket ....like the head gaskets I don’t have one ...sheesh :builder:

Pics ...
image.php

Ok rear cover off and I pretty much saved the gasket that went rather well ...but you that rotor nut on the rotor rim ...that what holds the rotor on ..it was completely loose and riding on the shaft ...wow this might be what took this stator out ...I havnt seen any damage yet ...but havnt looked much yet

image.php

Now to try and get the stator out ...sheesh I hate those Phillips screws they use here :builder:

Loose stator bolt was on the new motor no the old one ...I need a hand impact wrench to get the stator off ...also one bolt on the rear cover twisted off ...after seeing the 84 motor ..it for sure has more in common with 83 1100 motor than later 1200 motors ...yah I have no idea how the rotor nut came loose on the new motor ...everything was still on the shaft ...first time I ever seen something like this ...as said so far I’ve seen no damage from it ..

Yes, the 84 engine is much closer to the 83 motor than the 85-86. The 84 uses the same rear cover gasket as the 83. How do I know? Because I tried to use an 84 gasket on an 86. Not happening!!

Well new day ....I’m thinking I’m going to just drill out the screw heads on the stator and buy new bolt that make sense to use ...I’m assuming the bolts will be easy to find ..

I’m really worried about the rotor nut loose situation...how did this happen ..this motor for sure looks like it’s never touched ...I’m assuming that the rotor spin to keep the nut tight but I don’t know this for sure ...might have never been done at the factory when built nut and washer just there no signs of of wear at all so far ...and you can tell this motor has very few miles on it ..

Think someone turned it the wrong way trying to rotate the engine? I fohnd JIS #2 & #3 bits from Motion Pro in 1/4" hex drive that fit most electric screwdrivers, and hex sockets for 1/4" or 3/8" square drive that come with some Torx and Allen sovket sets. So far, the #2 on my 1/4" square screwdriver handle and #3 on my T handle have worked great! Got the bits on Amazon, had the adapters from various sets.

Most of my metric replacement screws come from the local Ace Hardware. Parts fiche for an '84 shows eithe 6x40 or 6x45 pan heads.

Drilling the heads off to get the stator off, then vice grips sounds reasonable.

On the 1200s the stator nut that turns the motor over ...is not what holds on the rotor ...like it is on the 1000 and 1100 motors ....it’s a way more improved set up on 1200s...that’s why this is so hard to understand for me right now ....the rotor nut is five times over better hold than earlier yrs motors ....

image.php

Pic of bagged over new motor

image.php

I really liking the backyard sky hook ..got the backend up enough to get final drive backed up enough for motor and holds the bike ...nothing else is keeping it up ..

image.php
Luck out and found that the three bolts that hold on the water crossover and thermostat piping are the right size for the stator ...this is great
image.php

This pic brought back memories ...I’ve got lots of time in working all over tractors ...