Putting on a roof

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiri251

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, stock ignition is in and the engine runs fine.
IMG_20190922_160907.jpg

The stock fairing is removed so this is a perfect opportunity to create a new full fairing with a roof. LOL

This is my inspiration:
30d127133a0e5b260c59aab6467ce378.jpg

70's British Vintage "Quasar"!
It got totally purpose built frame so mine won't look that good but hay.

Some brain storming:
solid.png

Thinking about using soft top so it will be a convertible.

Any suggestions?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213050#p213050:29bv9yzn said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:12 pm[/url]":29bv9yzn]
Is this the rig with the sidecar? The only other covered rig I have seen are these:

image.php

image.php

Wow!
I wish I can make nice curves..
With my skill, setup, and budget, it's going to be made of straight lines.

Wow! I wish I can make nice curves. With my skill, setup, and budget, it's going to be made of straight lines.

Look up robert Q Riley of popular mechanics fame. He used insulation foam and fiberglass cloth to create panels that are high strength and light weight. Well described in his "Tri-magnum" project car.

For curves, look up kevlar canoe homebuilders.

IIRC, they make forms out of hard foam, shaping it with hand tools, then lay layers of fabric over that. You can always use fiberglass cloth instead of kevlar as a cost cutting measure.

Thanks all.

I will start with straight line mockup to come up with basic shapes.
Will see if I want to make it nicer from there.
Straight lines may look good..

I would say this build will be 80% front fairing especially inner part.
Want to make full use of hot air coming from radiator for the heating.
Also big air ducts to let cool air in.
Then make vents to adjust these.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213076#p213076:bwxcdfu2 said:
Rednaxs60 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:36 am[/url]":bwxcdfu2]
Get this done and it will be another trip to Big Sur for viewing.

It's been almost two years already.
Time flies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV4qVbNPX_w

A Quazar 'replica', but it doesn't say anything about the driveline.
The challenge to covering a motorcycle, is that the seating position is naturally high.

But just for a fun morning engineering brain exercise... The Quazar concept puts the rider lower, but the GL flat-four/six doesn't lend well to such, because your feet would be right where the cylinders were...

Unless you were to move the engine back, and straddle the air intake a bit.... or go separate carbs and keep the airbox low.... move the battery, fuel tank, radiator, etc., all forward... and lower the handlebars... dunno about leading link... but this'd get it down lower. It would (*like the Quazar) make for a longer wheelbase, which doesn't help handling at low speed.

The biggest disadvantages to recumbent position (and this comes to me from bicycling experience) is that you cannot transition weight from hiney to feet to relieve road shock, and the inability to substantially turn head AND upper body for a check of the sides...

But weather protection is really, really important... particularly in California's bitter cold winters, frosty pumpkin falls, and misty spring mornings... :headscratch:

Meanwhile, I'm getting ready to fit up the tire chains on my 1200... :smilie_happy:

So for curves, take several sheets of 2" extruded polystyrene (Formular 250 is my favorite), and glue them together with cove base adhesive. To do this, lay a piece of 3/4" plywood on the garage floor, lay one sheet, glue, lay another, glue, lay the third, then set another sheet of 3/4 plywood on it, then a half-dozen concrete blocks.

Use a cordless sawzall with a coarse metal-cutting blade to slice it down into pieces thatl'll make your straight-and-square setup. Prop it in place over a frame rigid enough to hold it in-situ, then take the sawzall, and your wife's electric meatcarving knife, and whittle it into a semi-curved shape. Then use an orbital sander with 80-grit disk to smooth it out.

For gaps, get a can of hardening spray foam (not the stuff for around windows and doors, it stays flexible), shoot that into the gaps and let it set up, then smooth it.

Once youv'e got it smooth, roll a thin coat of fiberglass epoxy on it, let it set up, then stretch a sheet of fiberglass cloth, and dab more epoxy on it, let that set up, sand the rough edges out, give it another layer or two of epoxy. Once it's set, you can cut the foam out from under it.

FWIW... this was a technique that was substantially employed by custom carbuilders right in your neighborhood... it shouldn't be tough to find some grey-haired guys that'll help guide you through it...

I found this picture of Quasar frame.
bareqsr3.jpg

It is totally purpose built.
I know my RoofedWing will no way look that nice with ordinary motorcycle frame.

Yes, I really need a good weather protection in sunny, warm, southern California! LOL

Seriously though, I am hoping this comfortable RoofedWing will give me enough motivation to do long touring like Alaska, Baja etc.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213098#p213098:vfcjufwd said:
skiri251 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:40 am[/url]":vfcjufwd]
I am afraid mine will look more like this.. LOL

file.php

Nothing wrong with that! Flexible fabric yet rigid enough frame to keep sun and rain off. I rode in them in Guatemala and they work great!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213103#p213103:vpq45tpl said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:28 am[/url]":vpq45tpl]
Nothing wrong with that! Flexible fabric yet rigid enough frame to keep sun and rain off. I rode in them in Guatemala and they work great!

Do you think it will survive US freeway cruising speed of 70~80MPH?

If you use Sunbrella canvas with stainless steel piping (think boat bimini tops), it should easily hold up. Many Sunbrella products are rated for 80 MPH winds!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213117#p213117:2bhb3ts6 said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:05 pm[/url]":2bhb3ts6]
If you use Sunbrella canvas with stainless steel piping (think boat bimini tops), it should easily hold up. Many Sunbrella products are rated for 80 MPH winds!

Thanks for the info.
I was going to google "soft top canvas material" or something. Now I got the name.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213117#p213117:yg9i2wai said:
mcgovern61 » Yesterday, 1:05 pm[/url]":yg9i2wai]

Well... they're 'rated' for it, but my '70 Sea Ray is capable of pinning the speedo needle well past it's 80mph reading, and neither the heavier canvas, or the lighter Sunbrella made it past 65 before coming apart... if I need to go over 45, the top goes down, and gets wrapped in the boot... it just can't be stretched tight enough to withstand the punishment.

And while I type this, just above and to the right of my monitor, is the scull and crossbones pennant that I flew from the transom anchor light mast when Ann and I went on a 5-day 653 mile run from Davenport, Iowa to Arcola Sandbar (Somerset, Wi) and back... and it's shredded...

If you stretch cloth over it, mebbie brush some epoxy on it, to use it as a 'start' for a hard skin?

Latest posts