"RoofedWing" test ride

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiri251

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, my RoofedWing is almost done so I went out for a test.

IMG_20191116_095530.jpg

IMG_20191116_095600.jpg

IMG_20191116_095620.jpg

IMG_20191116_095635.jpg

IMG_20191116_095649.jpg

Everything seems to be okay. I haven't ridden my OldWing (even w/o a roof) for a while so it was a bit scary in the beginning.
Now I must remember to bend down a bit to mount just like getting into a car. Otherwise the helmet will hit the roof frame.

Remaining items.

1. More powerful wiper motor. Current one moves so slow that it's only good for a mist.
2. Rear half of the roof
3. Retractable eaves

Tomorrow I will go on a freeway.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214471#p214471:1yiivlj9 said:
Rednaxs60 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:24 pm[/url]":1yiivlj9]
Very cool! Picture of the cockpit?

Oops. Forgot.
Will take it tomorrow (much nicer outside than in a garage.)

But it turned out to be not much of mounting area inside, I need to access air vents so cannot put stuff in front of them (unless I make them motorized.)
And still waiting for this from China.
s-l1600.jpg

Some thoughts on your RoofedWing:
1. Great job!! :lust:
2. Did you consider just adding to the Aspencade fairing rather than removing it?
3. I do like the boxy (stealth?) style.
4. Your modification could really extend the riding season here in the Midwest.
5. I have an 84 Interstate I assembled out of two junkers and think I could modify it as you did and not have to quit riding in the winter.
6. Remember the most sincere form of approval is emulation!!. "Emulation" is taking what people do to the next level by applying your own strengths.

:popcorn: :salute: :eek:k: :yes: :good: :builder:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214481#p214481:5ki3wfhn said:
Tom_Charlton » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:55 am[/url]":5ki3wfhn]
Some thoughts on your RoofedWing:
1. Great job!! :lust:
2. Did you consider just adding to the Aspencade fairing rather than removing it?
3. I do like the boxy (stealth?) style.
4. Your modification could really extend the riding season here in the Midwest.
5. I have an 84 Interstate I assembled out of two junkers and think I could modify it as you did and not have to quit riding in the winter.
6. Remember the most sincere form of approval is emulation!!. "Emulation" is taking what people do to the next level by applying your own strengths.

:popcorn: :salute: :eek:k: :yes: :good: :builder:

Thanks!

Well it protects me from cold weather well. Yesterday it was 75F and sunny here and with vents closed, it was too hot. Vents worked well too but I had no wind on my face so ordered windshield vent for GL1800.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

> Did you consider just adding to the Aspencade fairing rather than removing it?

I had a wrap-around windshield plus some home made extensions to keep the wind out. It worked well.
I could have built on top of it but figured it was too difficult to connect the roof nicely to that roundy curvy windshield. And I wanted to emulate Quazer (British roofed motorcycle from 70s.)

Like the square look as well. Now for next level, paint scheme. Going to have to match up the original colour and the new roof. Be able to go to the wasteland weekend with this!

Went out for an hour long 40 mile freeway test ride.
It was very comfortable as expected. Didn't notice any ill effect of the fairing.
No wind today so I could not evaluate cross-wind response.

Cockpit view:
IMG_20191117_095623.jpg

IMG_20191117_100136.jpg

Air temp was 75~80F today. The radiator fan turned on in stop and go city traffic.
I guess this is normal. Water temp stayed normal on the freeway.

I added vents to cool the heads just in case.
IMG_20191117_100050.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214486#p214486:39xhscfi said:
joedrum » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:08 am[/url]":39xhscfi]
Hmmmm ...watching ...how’s the weight so far ...take it easy on test rides till it proves itself ...

Weight should be okay. Stock faring is fairly heavy. I am hoping it is as light as the stock setting.
I could have gone to all aluminum panels but cheaped out with house hold FRP panel which is quite heavy.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214489#p214489:1dzshgfb said:
Rednaxs60 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:19 am[/url]":1dzshgfb]
Like the square look as well. Now for next level, paint scheme. Going to have to match up the original colour and the new roof. Be able to go to the wasteland weekend with this!

It is chrome colored decal film on top of FRP panel.
I don't want the complaints from my wife. She doesn't like the paint smell.

"Wasteland weekend"?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214485#p214485:1dzv9bk8 said:
dan filipi » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:08 am[/url]":1dzv9bk8]
All the storage you have is great. You even had a coffee maker on our Big Sur trip.

So we will do the Big Sur again next spring. right?

Righteous doctor Skiri- Henceforth, I dub thy fearless battle steed "Thunderdome"!!! (You DID include the obligatory scabbard for a short-barrel shotgun, yes?)

Now... given a day's time and some oh... 1/2" square steel or aluminum stock, a bender, and MIG welder, we could make a dozen pre-production prototypes... actually... a little larger size, and it'd be a shoe-in for trike conversions!!!

Waitaminnit- what's that over on the far right side... a brass-era instrument... a Barometer? Below an analog clock, which is below a digital clock? That's bridging the gap to SteamPunk!!!

Just be really careful... if you get knocked around inside, there's plenty of really bitey surfaces ready to make sushi of you... :shock:

(where's the NITROUS arming switch?)

And... what do you mean by 'retractable eaves'?

Hey Skiri- any progress? More testing? I just got done from 10 hours of working in cold rain north of Milwaukee... it would'a been a whole lot nicer with some wind and rain protection...