RoofedWing complete!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiri251

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished the remaining items.

Eaves retracted:
IMG_20191207_165432.jpg

Eaves extended:
I know it's ugly (LOL) but hopefully should do the job.
IMG_20191207_180449.jpg

Overhead air vent:
IMG_20191207_165424.jpg

Voltmeter, USB ports, 12V port:
IMG_20191207_165324.jpg

Clock, thermometer, barometer:
IMG_20191207_165331.jpg

2 speed wiper motor and switch:
IMG_20191207_165305.jpg

IMG_20191207_165312.jpg

Back rest:
IMG_20191207_165255.jpg

Will go camping this winter break.

Thanks.

Eaves will be used when it rains.
I haven't ridden it with eaves extended so not sure how fast I can go w/o destroying them.
But definately I won't do 80MPH in a rain.
If it holds up to 55MPH or so, I will be happy.
Currently the rods supporting eaves are 1/4" thick aluminium.
Will use steel if they don't hold up.

Looking good! What are the black items on the outside of the windscreen. You mention how fast you can go with the top wings extended. Maybe a stiffener across the leading edge to deflect air flow much like an airplane wing - just thinking out loud.

Cheers

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214826#p214826:orpmegyb said:
Rednaxs60 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:50 am[/url]":eek:rpmegyb]
Looking good! What are the black items on the outside of the windscreen. You mention how fast you can go with the top wings extended. Maybe a stiffener across the leading edge to deflect air flow much like an airplane wing - just thinking out loud.

Cheers

Thanks.

> "the black items on the outside of the windscreen"

Not sure which one you are talking about...
Wiper arm?

I really need to experiment how the eaves behave. I am afraid they vibrate at relatively low frequency because aluminum rods are not stiff enough.
I should somehow triangulate the front part.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214830#p214830:1iuqy5ce said:
Rednaxs60 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:51 pm[/url]":1iuqy5ce]
Think these are your new side mirrors:
file.php

Ah, yes.
Originally bat fairing inside mounted mirrors for Harley. LOL

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214831#p214831:1m68qw0d said:
Rednaxs60 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:59 pm[/url]":1m68qw0d]
Excellent project, a few bugs will surface as always, but Bravo Zulu to you. Great project. You could join us up here and ride all year round. Cheers

If the road is not frozen, should be okay although I want more side protection in that case.

... found this pic from Vetter MPG challenge home page (LOL). It's a Suzuki Burgman scooter.
Rohit-on-road-830-web.jpg

https://craigvetter.com/pages/2014-Challenges/2014-San-Luis-Challenge results.html

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214835#p214835:1lz8i8bx said:
joedrum » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:39 pm[/url]":1lz8i8bx]
Wow some kool read and results on the Vetter challenge

Aren't they?

My next possibe project is an MPG challenger build. Want to make comfortable 100% rain proof tourer with good MPG and plenty luggage space.
Their "turret" design for steering was a real eye opener for me.

Checked out the Craig Vetter Challenge web site. Very cool and productive as well. You may very well be on the way to something. You already have a hybrid of sorts, 1500 luggage, custom fairing.

Got any sail boat racing friends? You could festoon the fairing with air yarn/tape and have them follow and evaluate what is happening to the air flow around your bike. Video the bike if possible from front and side to determine air flow - poor man's wind tunnel. Sail boat racers are very good at this.

Still one great project. Cheers

No sail boat friends..

From various Vetter challenger pics, it seems that tapered tail section like a fish is important.
I guess that makes air flow smooth. So that means a carefully designed trailer will be the next project?

Wow... that's a whole lotta duct tape... Skiri's looks a whole lot cleaner....

I can assure you, that after 40 years and over a million miles of bicycling, that the first two-three vehicle lengths behind ANYTHING is a pocket of turbulent air, and filling that area with something gently tapered has a substantial impact on drag reduction. When I ride alone, my capacity to cover ground is very good, but when someone's drafting me (like my son), HE is using only a small fraction of the power to keep up, and MY load decreases slightly. If there's two more behind him, my load becomes slightly smaller, but THEIR load is progressively less than HIS.

Kamm-back design...

Skiri- Did you do an heat redirection?

I haven't looked close into how my 1200's cooling airflow path is, but my bet is that it comes through the radiator, over the top of the engine, around the battery and rear fender, then through the rear wheel, with just a little coming out around the fairing lowers. I DON'T think they integrated any control into that flow (meaning, when it's cold, I haven't found a way to direct more to my knees... but then again, I haven't found a cold-enough-circumstance for it).

In the case of your fairing/cowling/cab/enclosure... do you expect any moisture accumulation on the plexi that would be (at least here)... frost? How does it FEEL... in terms of engine heat, and whadd'ya think will happen in fog and frost?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214869#p214869:3nh8u0r7 said:
DaveKamp » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:56 am[/url]":3nh8u0r7]
Skiri- Did you do an heat redirection?

I haven't looked close into how my 1200's cooling airflow path is, but my bet is that it comes through the radiator, over the top of the engine, around the battery and rear fender, then through the rear wheel, with just a little coming out around the fairing lowers. I DON'T think they integrated any control into that flow (meaning, when it's cold, I haven't found a way to direct more to my knees... but then again, I haven't found a cold-enough-circumstance for it).

In the case of your fairing/cowling/cab/enclosure... do you expect any moisture accumulation on the plexi that would be (at least here)... frost? How does it FEEL... in terms of engine heat, and whadd'ya think will happen in fog and frost?

Yes, I did but haven't had a chance to test it.

I think the air passed through the radiator gets deflected by the sheetmetal wall mounted on top of the engine and mostly comes out from shark gill slots of fairing lowers. I am talking about GL1100, don't know GL1200 at all.

The fairing is still half open so radiator air will hit (and warm) my knees a bit and immdiately be dispersed and go outside. I don't think it will be a very effective heater. So I don't expect huge difference in moisture accumulation from ordinary/stock fairings in fog and frost.

Hmmm... okay. Well, with what I deal with in cold and damp here, your setup would clearly do well for most coverage. My 1200's coverage does really well with keeping both falling rain, and tire splash off me... but I'm still susceptible to spray off other vehicles. Typically, the tops of my feet, my hands, bottom of my forearms, knees, calves, and top of my legs, and small of my back are the most susceptible to cold and wet, and your coverage setup looks like it gets most of that. I'm curious how well it handles vehicle spray through the sides.

The 'steampunk' barometer alongside the digital thermo and analog clock is a nice touch, but you got me nervous about all the sharp edges, bolts, and rivets... even a casual missed-kickstand-appointment would bounce you around in that, and a 'food ninja' comes to mind... I'd rather not see you the subject of the next "Will It Blend?"

https://youtu.be/lAl28d6tbko

Oh man... what a waste of good working iPad! LOL
Or was it just a fake?

I have complex emotion about rain test.
Obviously I want to find out how good/bad it works but I don't really want to ride in a rain. LOL
I should really go on to a long touring to force myself ride in a rain.

It doesn't not offer any protection for vehile spray coming right across.
I want to cover that area but then it will be susceptable to strong cross wind.

As for sharp edges, I guess I can put some padding like insulation for water pipes just to feel safe, warm and fuzzy.

I want to see just a ride video ...from like a car beside you ...I don’t think it’s something to go out in the rain till it’s proven ..the bike and your time in the saddle also ..go slow Skirri with all this ..this was a build and then some treat it that way ...