Foot Throttle?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmopars

Reaction score
So, back in my younger days I broke my wrist. Now I have severe arthritis in my right wrist. Over the past few years it has fused to the point that I have no movement at all. I can no longer twist the throttle on my bikes.
Currently I have 2 bikes, 1 BMW R1100RT and a Custom Naked 1984 Goldwing.
I want to keep riding and the BMW is not going to be easy to convert, too costly and will never be able to sell it if I do, and I need to sell it.
So, this leaves me the Goldwing to convert and ride.
Has anyone ever done this kind of conversion? I know I could go to a left side throttle, but I don't like having to work the clutch and throttle with the same hand. This also would be complicated due to the switch gear on the GL.
My plan would be to mount it on the right side, so it would work like a car.
Any suggestions? If I can't figure it out, I will have to sell the bike and give up on life with 2 wheels.
BTW, I have been a mechanic for the last 30+ years, UTI Grad, US Airforce Crew Chief, and currently work as a Field Service Tech for a major Water Jet company, so I have the ability and tools. Just hoped someone had been this route before to get suggestions from.

Yes, it was done on an 1100 way back in the day. I'll have to look around on the site or out on the web to see if I can find pictures. Essentially, it was a foot pedal with some bars with pivot points that operated a new throttle cable the same way as a handlebar (push-pull). It was mounted on the engine guard.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I found CLICK HERE on eBay. It is described as a foot throttle kit for a 75-77 GL100. Don't know if it will be of any help but if you can get the instructions to blow up a bit you may get some ideas.

Dave / Believer45

You can do anything you set your mind to.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

I have thought about the thumb throttle, but the arthritis in my thumbs is just as bad as my wrist.
I’m sure I can figure it out, just had hoped someone had been down that road before me.

Sent you a private message. Hope it helps.

Dave / Believer45

Could a thumb throttle maybe be converted to a finger trigger throttle to sit under the brake lever, since you are only going to use either one at a time? No experience of this, just a thought.

I've been musing about this for a couple days, and have some questiions. The reason I want to help is because the arthtitis in my hands caused me to get a trike, just in case. (foot clutch)
1. Do you have footpegs or floorboards?
2. Do you want to keep your heel in one spot and swivel your toes side to side?, or move your whole foot to change between gas and brake?
Actuating a cable (push & pull) is the easy part, figuring out where to put the gas pedal/lever is the important decision. I'm envisioning a modified rearset lever, from a cafe racer, mounted near the stock brake pedal or on the crash bar.
I have a gl1000 with floorboards on my lift right now, and an 82 gl1100 in the shed, and a set of floorboards (markland or "MC" brand) available for fitment/fabrication.

That's an issue we all face to some extent when we get into those "mellowing years". I have feet problems from Agent Orange and can still shift on the left foot but I went to the Honda NC750DCT and it is wonderful, much lighter than the Wing and easier to handle. Left hand got smashed in a tractor 3pt hitch and I have arthritis in both hands and I started using one of those "paddle" type throttle levers and it works very well. I use a throttle lock when I cruise but I can just move my right hand to the right side (outside) of the throttle and put a little pressure on the throttle and allow the throttle return spring to reduce speed. Takes a little practice but works well and I feel completely safe with that method of throttle control. Using that on a trike should work even better since you don't need to hold up the bike. I can't ride my Harley near as well with forward shift control so it may go. I'm rebuilding a 74 CT90 to replace my DRZ 400.

Not sure that makes sense but it works for me.

Latest posts