New C5 Ignition fits GL1000, GL1100, GL1200, and GL1500

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=139971#p139971:106rrnd3 said:
dan filipi » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:31 am[/url]":106rrnd3]
I just zip tied mine to the frame.

Zip ties work (I've done it also) but customers won't accept that as a permanent solution. We use rubber dipped frame clamps in some kits but I'm not sure it could work on the Goldwing due to the complex frame shape and excessive wires.

We use rubber dipped frame clamps

I added a Plexifaring III to my bike last winter and it came with hose clamps to attach to the fork and/or frame. I cut some shrink wrap material and slid it on the clamp to cover the clamp before mounting and it came out real nice!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=139977#p139977:3lff4cem said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:32 am[/url]":3lff4cem]
We use rubber dipped frame clamps

I added a Plexifaring III to my bike last winter and it came with hose clamps to attach to the fork and/or frame. I cut some shrink wrap material and slid it on the clamp to cover the clamp before mounting and it came out real nice!

You bring up a great point. Coated clamps are very secure and sometimes I can't rotate a coil into position with the "death grip" from those clamps. We purchase them from Waytek, and great Minnesota company.

Here is the CB750 SOHC coil mounting (to get your creative juices flowing).

Attachments

• QT MOUNT.jpg
    QT MOUNT.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 253
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=139985#p139985:1foh3h1v said:
brianinpa » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:59 am[/url]":1foh3h1v]
Adel clamps have been used in the aviation world for keeping things in their place a long, long time.

AN_adel_clamps.jpg
Maritime too! Stainless steel for no corrosion and tremendous vibration resistance which is a big deal when you cannot see your wiring chafing away and have a fire at sea!

I got a call from Paul at C5 ignitions today.

Because of CGW support for his ignition kits, he is planning an exclusive unveiling for this Gen 4 kit near the end of February!

I will be contacting certain forum members to be part of this event, so stay tuned!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140319#p140319:31bpxorm said:
dan filipi » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:06 pm[/url]":31bpxorm]
I got a call from Paul at C5 ignitions today.

Because of CGW support for his ignition kits, he is planning an exclusive unveiling for this Gen 4 kit near the end of February!

I will be contacting certain forum members to be part of this event, so stay tuned!

Can you hear the sound of a CNC mill running yet? I am thrilled to say "the order has been placed" and I'm letting Dan feed you information as it happens. He so deserves this. There is not ONE ounce of exaggeration when I say that without this forum's support we would have ended Goldwing ignition kits when the Gen 2 parts ran out (and Gen 3 parts have been so slow to arrive I about gave up).
Last month I was uncertain about investing the time/energy/resources to produce the Gen 4 kit.

A few PMs and phone calls from forum members made me realize this project had to move forward. Now I've pulled the trigger and there is no turning back. I won't sleep tonight....this is the largest investment I have ever made for any kit and I want to ride my Wing tomorrow but the snow is too deep. :yahoo:

Now you can keep your C5 ignition if you change bikes.

Brings up an interesting point......I suppose we should keep all of our old OEM stuff in the event we decide to sell our bike to move up to a 1200 or 1500 and want to take the C5 with us? :headscratch:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140330#p140330:3nv9qv54 said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:46 pm[/url]":3nv9qv54]
Now you can keep your C5 ignition if you change bikes.

Brings up an interesting point......I suppose we should keep all of our old OEM stuff in the event we decide to sell our bike to move up to a 1200 or 1500 and want to take the C5 with us? :headscratch:

The complete kit will interchange between all four cylinders quite easily because they all use a C2 ignition and the QT coil. To run the 1500 you'd have to purchase the C3 module and three DF coils.

C1=controls one coil
C2=controls two coils
C3=controls three coils

DF is a twin tower coil
QT is a quad tower coil that has TWO coils buried inside.

Since the 1500 engine needs 3 coils, we will provide different electronics but the housing/base remains the same.

Attachments

• IMG_1589.JPG
    IMG_1589.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 233
  • EBAY COIL.jpg
    EBAY COIL.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 233
So let me understand this...

for the 1200, I can no longer get the kit that I got for the 1100 because you no longer make the big spacer ring. So if I want the C5, I can leave the stock pulse generator in place but disconnet it, drill a hole the cam shaft, and mount the entire C5 system on the back of the head. Is that the readers digest version?

Obviously I left out a few steps...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140348#p140348:vrfu0xcz said:
brianinpa » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:45 am[/url]":vrfu0xcz]
So let me understand this...

for the 1200, I can no longer get the kit that I got for the 1100 because you no longer make the big spacer ring. So if I want the C5, I can leave the stock pulse generator in place but disconnet it, drill a hole the cam shaft, and mount the entire C5 system on the back of the head. Is that the readers digest version?

Obviously I left out a few steps...

That is correct. If you have a GL1100 or GL1200 your stock parts can be left in place.

We never offered a kit for the 1200 (Dan made his own) but the GL1100 spacers will no longer be available. All Wing ignitions will be mounted on the rear of the left cylinder with two screws.

Additional Modifications:
GL1000 needs no additional mods, GL1100/1200 require cam be drilled/tapped, GL1500 and Valkyrie require a press in cam post (we will manufacture once the 4 cylinder kit is ready to go).

I would like everyone to know that we are not blindly excited about this ignition, there are very good reasons.

It is the only ignition replacement available for the 1100 and 1200.
It is the only upgrade to a 1500 ignition available.
It is the only ignition available with spot on timing and 3 full sparks at all rpm's.
It is programmable for nearly infinite timing at all rpm's.
Never before has all of this been available.

This is why we endorse it so highly.

Anyone that has ever worked on an engine and especially anyone that performance tunes engines, knows full well these features are needed to properly tune an engine whether it's to have the engine run the best it can, or to run with NOS or a blower for specific reasons. Denying this is simply saying they have some other agenda like some kind of dislike for this forum or its members, period.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=139316#p139316:175td3ew said:
C5Performance » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:16 pm[/url]":175td3ew]
Drilling/tapping the cam is the most affordable option. I'm going to make a jig that sits in the end of the head so I can drill the hole without cam removal. I'll let you know if it works out.

I was really disappointed in this deal(no more factory location conversions on the 1100) until I saw this... :clapping: If you can devise a jig so we(I) don't have to remove the cam, and re-time the belts and all, that would be the only way some of us would be able to do this upgrade. I totally unnerstand the reasoning behind the idea...no pulling the engine to do the conversion and such, heat aspects, etc. For me, changing the cam(s) would be a deal breaker. Being able to "modify" the cam without removing it(and the associated hardware) would be SWEEEEEET! :good:

well joel ..i cant think of a easier drill on the motor ...crank it up and hold the bit still ...it is already centered punched :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: it wont take long ... and if you cant drill a strait hole like this ... :fiddle:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140353#p140353:jmfic2h3 said:
C5Performance » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:50 am[/url]":jmfic2h3]
We never offered a kit for the 1200 (Dan made his own) but the GL1100 spacers will no longer be available. All Wing ignitions will be mounted on the rear of the left cylinder with two screws.

Paul,

The 1100 kit I have on my 1100 would have worked on my 1200 also as the 84 motor is unique so I was going to use an 1100 kit for my 1200. Looks like that won’t be necessary any more. So I no longer need to pull the engine to change the ignition. Now, could you figure out a stock stator that doesn’t require the motor to be removed also????? :shock:

:smilie_happy: