New C5 Ignition fits GL1000, GL1100, GL1200, and GL1500

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140421#p140421:hfhv9y79 said:
slabghost » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:48 am[/url]":hfhv9y79]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140415#p140415:hfhv9y79 said:
C5Performance » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:43 am[/url]":hfhv9y79]
I have a C5 on at least 7 of my bikes (GL1000, CB350, CB750, Buell Blast, GS250, GS550, and Ural).

Do I get a special one?
My teachers always said I was "special" :cheeky:
How "special" were you? Did you get to wear hockey gear and ride the short bus? I was told by my scoutmaster I was a most outstanding scout! Out standing in the rain that is. :whistling:
Now getting back to subject. Uhh what is? OH Yeah! The whatchacallit ignition the uh ... Oh yeah C5 I want to add another of the newest ones to my order. Soon as I can get to the bank to deposit my pay. :thanks:

You remember that car he was driving at Joe's place the last time? I guess the short bus days carried over to adulthood... :smilie_happy:

:shock: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: that was great :hihihi: :mrgreen:

it was quite the site ... when i seen shetlin stallion i knew this guy was seriously in buisness on no expense account :BigGrin:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140546#p140546:3qlhq814 said:
bronko37 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:18 am[/url]":3qlhq814]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140415#p140415:3qlhq814 said:
C5Performance » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:43 am[/url]":3qlhq814]
I have a C5 on at least 7 of my bikes (GL1000, CB350, CB750, Buell Blast, GS250, GS550, and Ural).

Do I get a special one?

Thats like $3850 worth of C5 ignitions at least! You must know a guy...... :whistling:

Did I mention my truck has 376,000 miles and counting? My priorities might be a bit screwed up.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140585#p140585:1n8e7blj said:
roncar » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:37 pm[/url]":1n8e7blj]
I dunno, sounds like you're priorities are straight to me. :good:
+1 MBS extreme :clapping:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140583#p140583:1wa1eldg said:
C5Performance » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:47 pm[/url]":1wa1eldg]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140546#p140546:1wa1eldg said:
bronko37 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:18 am[/url]":1wa1eldg]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140415#p140415:1wa1eldg said:
C5Performance » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:43 am[/url]":1wa1eldg]

Do I get a special one?

Thats like $3850 worth of C5 ignitions at least! You must know a guy...... :whistling:

Did I mention my truck has 376,000 miles and counting? My priorities might be a bit screwed up.

What ignition does it have?

Dan and I were discussing oil seals over the weekend. The cams on GL1100, 1200, and 1500 have an oil seal at the front where the pulley attaches. Out back they use a press in rubber "plug".

According to the parts microfiche none of these engines have a seal in the back, so we'll have to provide one in the kit.
Luckily I researched and ALL of these use the same seal. It is 27 ID x 43 OD x 9mm width.

Further Google research shows Acura and Honda cars used this seal as well, and the size is a bit weird...probably done on purpose so Honda could sell more replacement parts.

Is anyone in the seal business? If I am going to purchase them and provide with the kit, I might as well support a business that supports this forum. I would love a Viton seal (an upgrade) but Honda used Butyl-N with a 250 degree temp rating and pressure rated at 10 psi.

Attachments

• seal area.jpg
    seal area.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 199
  • gl1100 seal area.jpg
    gl1100 seal area.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 203
be good to supply the seal needed. but a word of caution. i fit aftermarket seals to an engine and every one of the buggers leaked.
so, i ordered the ones from Honda , (expensive ) and then, just to satisfy my pedantic nature, i measured them up.
here's some pics of the front seal on the crankshaft.
image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

also the internal surface of the seals was different. the seal supplied by Honda was ribbed and the aftermarket one was smooth. don't know why that is, but i do know the Honda one don't leak... :BigGrin:
image.php

image.php

2 edge sword this is ... taking responsibility of some who knows where made is a gamble ....it is as aussie said the new stuff can be really worse than old ....on cam seal prep is everything ... if a cam seal on a bike is not leaking and has track record of years ...i am not changing it lol ..i clean everything up and install ... i dont think its any big deal to mod 1100 close seals to work ... is what i think .....personally there is not much oil to stop here ive never bought a new seal and have many leaking one stop ....seems the most important part to me it spring inside seal channel being stout enough to seal around cam ...they come apart and cen be shorten and screwed right back together to get more tension to seal .. even ones with cut can be turned to 12 oclock position and stop leaking ....

so to me all you can do is provide a seal ..there no real oil pressure here ..and just not a big problem ...and i am sure as aussie said the honda seals are probably better ... has to be a really crappy seal to leak in these conditions :shock: :head bang: :cheeky: :whip: :rant: when it comes to crappy products its seems the world has never done so good at it as now :BigGrin:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140701#p140701:3lxsim0j said:
aussiegold » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:59 am[/url]":3lxsim0j]
be good to supply the seal needed. but a word of caution. i fit aftermarket seals to an engine and every one of the buggers leaked.
so, i ordered the ones from Honda , (expensive ) and then, just to satisfy my pedantic nature, i measured them up.
here's some pics of the front seal on the crankshaft.
image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

also the internal surface of the seals was different. the seal supplied by Honda was ribbed and the aftermarket one was smooth. don't know why that is, but i do know the Honda one don't leak... :BigGrin:
image.php

image.php

Interesting pictures. I think providing a seal is the right thing to do, since it is required to install the ignition.
Honda seals are $7-15 USD depending on the source. I have a local supplier who always asks me exactly what my application is, and I believe provides quality parts, although measuring the seal is a great idea!

On our Virago kit we upgraded to a Viton seal which was rated for higher temperatures and had a better seal surface.
Honda uses NOK as the manufacturer of these, and if I stick with the same brand I'll do that.

Thanks guys for looking out for us!!

The new kit begins production this week and I am nervous/excited about it.

The "ribbing" on any seal designates the seal as a directional seal....meaning it is designed to seal a component that rotates in a specific direction ONLY. In this case, this seal is meant to seal something that rotates clockwise within the seal. If this seal was installed on something that rotated counterclockwise, it would leak profusely. A counterclockwise seal would have the ribs slanted the opposite direction. There are seals that are bi-directional, also, and the ribbing on those look kinda like a cross-hatch pattern. MOST seals that will work in either direction would be smooth on the sealing surface, but Honda does theirs this way, with the ribs.

So...suppose the cam seals on the GL engines were directional. This would mean there would be two different seals for the front and rear(the seal pictured is a crank seal, which only rotates in one direction), because the same seal installed on the other end of the cam would have the cam turning in the opposite direction from the front. Chances are, the cam seals are NOT directional, so this shouldn't be an issue. I can't say for sure, but I do have some seals at home I could look at to verify.

I agree with Dan, awesome information. Fork seals, shift shaft seals, and I think even output shaft seals on most Japanese engines were single lip with no grooves.
For the Virago we used a single lip viton seal and we've been running one bike for over a year with not a drop of leakage.

Many Honda seals were manufactured by NOK so if I can find one that is similar quality I'm set. If not, I'll purchase the seal from Honda.

Today I stopped at the machine shop. We have to test cut a clearance area for the GL1200 head where a pipe comes out the back. Can anyone tell me what screws into this hole (red arrow)?

Also, the yellow circle indicates where our round plate will be trimmed on the back side to clear that raised casting. Is there anything else there which could cause a problem?

Attachments

• interference area.jpg
    interference area.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 222
Not sure on the 1200's, but isn't that the hole that gets used when oriented to the front? For timing belt covers? The heads can be reversed from side to side. That's what it is on early models....I thunk.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140761#p140761:imvmq98i said:
ekvh » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:27 pm[/url]":imvmq98i]
Not sure on the 1200's, but isn't that the hole that gets used when oriented to the front? For timing belt covers? The heads can be reversed from side to side. That's what it is on early models....I thunk.

I never even gave that a thought!

Here is the test cut for our new cover. My friend used a black Sharpie pen to make it stand out.

What do you think?

Attachments

• Goldwing Gen 4 test.jpg
    Goldwing Gen 4 test.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 211