Tag A Long to the Rescue!!!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up the trailer today!! :party: :yahoo:

Turns out, it ACTUALLY FITS inside of the Hyundai Elantra! :shock:

image.php

image.php

Now, to make room in the garage to start assembly!

image.php

Set out the parts:

image.php

image.php

First up, remove the wheels and repack the wheel bearings. Good thing! That grease is terrible! I guess it is only meant for packing up for shipping so they do not ship it with dry bearings? The one hub was tight enough that I could feel one bearing running dry! :shock:

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Next, based on lots of reading about these trailers, it is recommended to remove the extra leaf in the spring. Came off fairly easily. Good thing, there was no paint on the steel between the leafs!! :cheeky:

image.php

image.php

Not exactly a tight fit!

image.php

Cleaned up the steel and re-painted. Found out that bolt that was used to hold the leafs together is needed to keep the clamps and axle lined up. Of course, I only found that out AFTER attaching the axle!! :whip: :hihihi:

Bolted up, added a piece of garden hose in the bolts for the back of the leaf. Assembled the hubs, springs, axle and installed the wheels. That is it for tonight.

image.php

Nice work Gerry and great plan to check all the pre assembled/painted stuff as you go :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143956#p143956:ia6vpngo said:
joedrum » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:56 pm[/url]":ia6vpngo]
dose the piano work ....seems it hard to fall in your shop ....good job gerry
Of course!! That piano is 112 years old and plays like a champ!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143970#p143970:2kdubj9o said:
slabghost » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:48 am[/url]":2kdubj9o]
Are ya done yet?Are ya done yet?Are ya done yet?Are ya done yet?Are ya done yet? :smilie_happy:
But I'mma going as fast as I can! :smilie_happy:

BTW, I just took a close look at the title and it is fresh off the boat from China! The PO is "Changzhou Nanxiashu", from Guangua Rd. Changzhou, China. :ahem:

Date of manufacture, MARCH 2012!!!!!!! :shock: What???? I bought a brand new 2012 model????

I guess that shows you how long this stuff can sit on shelves?? Now I am really glad I repacked the wheel bearings; that grease is 3 years old! :whip:

(Now I have to worry about the tire manufacture date?) :headscratch:

As mentioned to wilcoy on his camper the larger wheels and tires handle the speed and load better. Those tiny tires will be turning roughly four times for every one time your bike wheel turns. Either way it's a really good idea to pack the bearings with good wheel grease.

1) Weatherstripping- I went to the Big Box and got enough weather stripping to go all the way around the body of the shell. Cleaned the edge with isopropyl and put down the weather stripping.
It keeps the lid from making any noise and seems to seal very well. I've been thru some torrential downpours with nary a drop working it's way inside.
2) The light bulbs for the relocated license plate prob'ly came from Amazon. The new LED bulbs in the tail/brake lights came from superbriteleds.com

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143996#p143996:nporzqj8 said:
KYWinger » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:59 pm[/url]":nporzqj8]
1) Weatherstripping- I went to the Big Box and got enough weather stripping to go all the way around the body of the shell. Cleaned the edge with isopropyl and put down the weather stripping.
It keeps the lid from making any noise and seems to seal very well. I've been thru some torrential downpours with nary a drop working it's way inside.
2) The light bulbs for the relocated license plate prob'ly came from Amazon. The new LED bulbs in the tail/brake lights came from superbriteleds.com

Superbright leds Great place for bulbs.. :music: :laptop:

Not much time to work on it today. Church all morning, afternoon break and then back to teach in the evening.

Today, I cleaned up the used trailer hitch I bought last year and gave it a few coats of paint:

image.php

Added the fenders and tow bar. (oops, forgot the pic) :oops:

Wiring the tailights. I decided I might change them out in the future so I added some water proof bullet connectors I bought when adding the radio wiring. Each connector is crimped and soldered.

image.php

image.php

Will be adding wire loom to cover the wires from abrasion next.

Gerry-

I've seen no mention of your lengthening the tongue. Most important that you do that!
It will make the trailer track way better and you've a long ride ahead of you.

Each of us who stretched it out (typically 24") used a different method. It doesn't matter what method you use; what matters is that you do it.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144031#p144031:7ypa00h2 said:
KYWinger » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:04 am[/url]":7ypa00h2]
Gerry-

I've seen no mention of your lengthening the tongue. Most important that you do that!
It will make the trailer track way better and you've a long ride ahead of you.

Each of us who stretched it out (typically 24") used a different method. It doesn't matter what method you use; what matters is that you do it.

:yes:

The tongue should be 1.75 to 2 times the length of the axel - I think that is what I remember reading when I was modifying my boat trailer. I ended up somewhere in the middle.

Yep, I intend to lengthen the tongue. I just have not worked on that yet. Initially, I am going to hook up with the current length on the tongue, but will extend it before I head to Florida.

Latest posts