Miracle on route 66

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilidawg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So for those of you wondering why I gave special thanks to Izzy and his boy at Legends Custom Shop and Bar out on old route 66, east of Amarillo.

Here's the whole story, this could get complicated, so I'll try to keep it as short as I can.

So we're coming back from dinner and I miss the entrance to the motel and end up in the Harley dealership next door, I said I'd keep it short so, while attempting to jump the curb separating the two, I hit the coolant drain plug which immediately starts to leak like a sieve.

So the next day while I'm calling myself all kinds of stupid Mofo's because all I can see in my future is a big ass orange and white U-haul truck. Izzy pulls up on a Harley, whats up guys he says, and I'm thinking, as soon as he sees it ain't the Harley that has a problem, he'll be gone.

UH UH. I could not have been more wrong about the man!! He says, I stopped because I saw the old Honda had a problem, I got a shop up on 66, we work on anything, full shop with lift gear and stuff and one of those that's really just for parts, so while I'm standing there with my mouth hanging open Jon says to him, well were kind of dead in the water man, he says, I'll be back in a hour with a trailer, and he was.

So an hour and a half later the Goldwings up on a lift draining coolant and we're drinking Dos XX that his son brought out, turned out my water pump cap had hairline crack around the drain plug that would not fix with any kind of epoxy or anything so he says to his son, go get this part off that old Goldie, lets see if it'll fit and it did. He hand made a gasket for it, put it on, filled it up with new coolant, I put it back together while he was fixing Jon's loose handlebars.

So about 4 hours later, after about 8 Dos XX and all the work, we are back on the road! I says to Izzy, what do I owe my friend, he says hmm, gimme $150 but send me back that one you've got on that spare engine at home. I said "You got it man!!!"

That's how we completed our trip, Thanks to Izzy and his Son Marcus at Legends Custom Shop and Bar on old route 66 east of Amarillo.

This thread does have a very technical aspect to it, which is why it is in the tech forum but I will post this now and follow up, for fear of another power outage tonight. But that's a real story, kinda warms your heart don't it?

Okay, now you have the back story and of course I want to send Izzy all the parts he needs to maybe re-build that old goldwing into something one day.

My question is about the dowel pins in the water pump cap, I just looked at Roady's renewal tutorial on NGW and couldn't make out the photo's but I think there is 2. I was gonna take photos of what I just bought off of eBay (because the one on my spare engine doesn't have the radiator spigot attached, I'd forgotten about that when I told him I'd send it) to show you but here's another one on there that shows exactly what I bought, with better pictures than I could take.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/81-Honda-GL1100 ... M2&vxp=mtr

You see there is a dowel pin, but directly opposite that is a coolant channel that appears to be there to by-pass the thermostat if you had one, which I don't.

Shouldn't that have a dowel pin?

I found a hole cut out in the coolant channel (from their hand made gasket in my old part that Izzy gave back to me after their first attempt to fix my cap, as if it did,) because I'm thinking they missed this channel in all the excitement and yeah, maybe the Dos XX too.

So now I'm also thinking that the one on my bike has a stopped up hole too, which doesn't matter if you don't have a thermostat, but if you did, you'd need it.

I just want the man gets everything he may need.

Where can I get a part number to order these dowel pins or are they even available?

Thanks for reading my little story, about a really big man!!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190688#p190688:3jqyjemp said:
desertrefugee » Yesterday, 9:49 pm[/url]":3jqyjemp]
I want to hear just a little bit more about that curb jumping part . . .
:yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190701#p190701:132zi8np said:
dan filipi » Thu May 18, 2017 6:59 am[/url]":132zi8np]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190688#p190688:132zi8np said:
desertrefugee » Yesterday, 9:49 pm[/url]":132zi8np]
I want to hear just a little bit more about that curb jumping part . . .
:yes:

Okay, and this ain't no BS, really!

There I was in the Harley dealership and there was my buddy outside the motel room, pulling his helmet off, where the beer was, and if I'd have known I could've driven out the back of the dealership and straight into the motel parking lot, believe me, I'd have done it but right then the only other options where going the wrong way on the I40 feeder street or going up another exit and back.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Amari ... 01.8312969

So I look at the grass border between the two establishments and the grass and the curb on the motel side look like this ==========, (no curb on the Harley side,) level right?

When I looked the next day there was a 18" part that went like this ==_== with a nasty hit mark in the white paint.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!! :wave: It was 10pm & dark.

Thanks for the replies, parts are ordered.