Trixie went single today

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob.lafady

Reaction score
I know, I know, it's about darn time! I've had my single carb kit for a couple years now, and today was the day! I gotta tell ya, she's running better than ever! I know there will be some fine tuning as I go along, but I am impressed so far! I do have a question, what have you all done to hook up your throttle cable? I am using the Solex pic 34 with the stock linkage. The manifold I bought doesn't say anything about hooking up the linkage, it just says to do it. Is there a sleeve I can get that the stock throttle cable end will go inside, or what did you do? Right now my cable is held on with a very technical device that I'm sure will last for years to come (zip ties). I will upload my proof of running video as soon as I put it on YouTube.
c8e01c0305ec9d3e8ed51450b7627c0c.jpg
de06213ce3ee769a705309c429656243.jpg
623de4fde9524613aa8976aa81ba7c47.jpg
05fdd2cdaec52a18847ef2606af94604.jpg
df5d4123870bba9e32fa615f4b05b3a4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Where you have the throttle cable connected to the carb, I have a barrel clamp:

311-129-777_3.jpg

Then I have a sleeve that the cable slips into and the sleeve slides into the barrel clamp similar to this...

IMG_0069.JPG

I've been looking for this setup ever since cmyoch asked a similar question this morning, but so far no luck...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192571#p192571:1sie0zvc said:
rob.lafady » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:41 pm[/url]":1sie0zvc]
Did you get them from the auto parts store?

It came with my carb and manifold, but I bought mine used from another member. It shouldn't be hard to find a barrel clamp the size of that opening in the linkage and just run the cable through the hole. It will require sacrificing a pull cable though.

I'm not sure why we didn't think of a nut and bolt when we were putting it together...

Thanks for the help Brian!
f56e63362a66f57baba77e991b59e1a1.jpg

SIMPLICITY IS THE KEY TO GOOD DESIGN :good:

On my 7th grade shop teacher's desk. Never forgot it. :nea: Nicely done. :yes:

I haven't gotten out much yet, but so far the bike runs loads better and the throttle response is definitely snappy! I need to do a couple things maintenance wise before I can take it on a longer haul to see how it does.

If you lengthen the bar at the cable attachment point on the carb, throttle will be more gradual. Check your idle to wide open throttle at the grip. It should be the same as with stock carbs.

You might want to twist the cable holder a bit so the cable exits the housing straight. Very nice set up! :good:

We adjusted to cable holder today and now it's at a much better angle. We also tightened up the bracket around the throttle cable so it won't slip out. I took her out for a ride and it runs pretty well, but there is some stumbling at low rpm when I give it a lot of gas. Does it sound like I need to re-jet? Would it be the main or the idle?

May simply need to shorten the accelerator pump linkage. It may be pumping more than you need when you grab a lot of twist.

Dialing a carb in ...can take some time ....as v mention could be to much acellerator pump .....but it could be other things also.....it always good to clean up plugs ...then run bike at idle for long time making sure bike stays normal temp with a box fan on radiator or water hose to keep bike temp from going to hot....at idle if it's off there it will usually show up and change how it runs or smells...if it runs and doesn't quit after a good long time....ck the plugs and see how there burning ....if plug color is good you can say idle is good and move from there ....if plugs look bad ...it's probably stumbling cause the idle is off....to much to go from there....idle has to be good to get instant response on the twist of throttle....one thing is for sure ...you have to learn your carb to get a good dialed in carb...and it all starts at idle....air is the biggest part of good gas charge and if choke plate is there you can mess with it while twisting throttle to see if it's getting drowned by gas and to rich or if it goes lean ...if you add choke and it runs better on twist it's lean ..if it runs worst it to rich ....so dig in and figure it out ....i don't have soled so can't comment much but it's rather simple carb and I'm sure you can figure it out ....so much easier than the stock nightmare of the Honda cv carbs....as you said it already beat your stock carbs....

Hi, new here. Was recommended to check this forum out. I've been trying to dial my same setup in for a while now. After much fuss with different screws and even trying to rivet closed the throttle plate hole, today I had a breakthrough when I started to adjust things the opposite way. This whole time I thought I was running the bike lean at low rpm wot. Turns out that wasn't the case. Now with my volume screw turned in nearly all the way, there is no more stumble.
Another thing that made a big difference was choke adjustment. Mine was barely closing the way it was setup from the manufacturer which also means there was absolutely no fast idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk