MAYDAY 1984 GL1200 INTERSTATE WONT RUN AFTER RAIN STORM

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightcorona

Reaction score
I rode my bike to work and it was sputtering then it suddenly ran real good then back to sputtering. I had 2 plug holes full of water. I dried out everything then tried to drive home. It started sputtering again and then after I dried everything out at gas station it wouldnt start at all. I tried starting fluid checked kill switch ....no luck. What could it be???

Sounds like the spark is shorting out to ground caused by the moisture. There are drain holes at the base of the spark plugs to let water drain off. Those might be plugged. Run a coat hanger or similar thru them. The hole comes out by the exhaust headers.

Yep! That is exactly the same issue I had. One plug was literally under water. Coat hanger was too big on mine but mig wire did the trick.

I am wondering if it is the wires or the coil. I tried to dry and clean all 4 wires right before it quit for good. I turned it over with it in gear with clutch and it caught for a second then nothing. If the coils are cracked then can I seal them with something or are they toast. It is the original wires.

My first oldwing would quit running in the rain ...sometimes it be next day or longer before it would run again ....once I tried to start it up at dark one time ....and the top of the motor looked like a lightning storm ....LOL :shock:

A great way to check for stray sparks ( poor leads, cracked coils etc) is as Joe said run it in the dark and you will see the sparks tracking.

okay to have any spark at all all the wires fail at the same time what should I check the key switch wiring, the coil fried? It worked right up to me cleaning all 4 caps at the same time the metal part. Do they just come off?

Hmmm the resistors in the spark plug ends might be died during cleaning ...actually the plug ends them selfs can go bad ...it's looking like wires and all are just not up,to par ...coils two ...stock ignition is a weak spot considering no parts are made anymore ....

I tried to scrap off the metal on the inside. If this is the case are the caps available? The only place that has 7mm wire here is autozone. Wrong ends I would have to cut them off. The wierd thing is it almost caught for a second when I had it in 1st with the clutch

UUpdate I charged the battery and it sat for a couple of days and now it started. Nothing happened when I first hit the button so I shifted it into first with clutch. Suddenly it started to turn over. It ran but it isn't running on all cylinders it will get strong then go back weak again like it was losing power to the spark. I think one side has a problem that comes and goes. What is strange is it ran better then it ever has for a second when it first got wet.

Myth or truth. Is is safe to take to take wires off plugs when cranking? I read somewhere that could damage coil. It has something to do with wires or caps I am pretty sure because sometimes it catches and runs better.

Won't hurt the coils that I know of. If you get the spark it can damage you though. Especially if you have certain health issues. I personally would just change the plugs, wires and resistor caps. Probably the vacuum lines too. Then see if it runs. If not then it is likely the coils or pickup coils.

OK mystery of mysteries I checked the plugs and put a sensor next to wires they all seem to have spark. The left bank isn't firing the pipes never get warm but the head does. I checked the cap resistors which read 5 ohms. What the hell??? Could the carbs both be clogged? How could I tell?

yes they most certainly can be clogged. try a a couple good whacks to the carbs while running with a plastic screwdriver handle.

OK, I verified my trouble is carbs. I turned the sync screw on left bank all the way in and the
Pipes started to get warm. I had never adjusted them in that far before. But why both carbs? Anybody know where the cheapest fastest delivery carb kits are?

Hmmmm ...1200 has some ok carbs .....but there diaphanous slides also and there rather tough to get if there bad ...so it might be better to try and keep adjusting them or break them down to see what wrong first with things ....might just be clogged up idle screw ...Honda put plugs there to keep,people from missing with them ...if they are still there ..that's a long time never cleaned up ....it's pot luck with carb kits ...but there on e-bay ...