MAYDAY 1984 GL1200 INTERSTATE WONT RUN AFTER RAIN STORM

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I am supposing there is a good diagram of where I need to drill idle screw somewhere. At present I have the left side sync screw turned all the way in almost and I turned the right side screw's in to turn down the idle. Since it must have been running on only 2 cylinders in the rain and one was full of water then I figure that is why it stopped. The left pipes are not as hot as the right pipes but they did start to heat up. I got tons of sea foam in there right now. Any other suggestions?

Remove the carbs and get all the passages cleaned. Seafoam is good but not a bottled miracle. You don't actually drill any idle screw. You remove the caps covering them. Once you have access to the screws. Gently tighten them to the stop counting exactly how many flats the screwdriver turns. Record each one. Clean only one carb at a time putting all the parts back in their original location after cleaning.

OK I found the idle screw I think. In another picture I saw it was on the side of the choke.
Is this the right one? I don't want to drill the wrong one. What gas additive is safe if seafoam is not for cleaning?

Attachments

• 20170914_163216.jpg
    20170914_163216.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 83
Aft ...also know as transmission fluid mixed with gas ...most use 6 to 8oz per tank of fuel...yes that's the idler screw plug ...be careful drilling that out the plugs are not deep and you don't want to hurt the screw ...

What the hell??????? I just noticed a small problem on the second idle screw. It isn't there. I ran a wire in and it went in an inch or so. There is nothing there. How do I deal with this? I am sure a carb kit has one in it. But in the mean time will just plugging the hole help? When I drill the other one what can I do to adjust or try to fix problem?

Attachments

• 20170914_175623.jpg
    20170914_175623.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 76
Hmmm wow ...Honda in its wisdom sometimes didn't put springs on there idler screws on somev1200s ...I've only seen this on 1200s...a lot of carb kits don't include idle screws or other hardware ...especially randakks carb kits ....so make sure the kit you buy. Has them ...sheesh I'd say the carbs are a mess on this bike ....no wonder things were running bad ...

Yes it is still a mess. It was a barn find in pieces you guys helped me put it together and make it run. Will plugging the hole help? I think I might be able to use a carb off my poor 1983 V65 magna. I think somewhere it said they were the same.