Johnny Boy from Tennessee

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Boy

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm John from Crossville, Tn. Picked up a really nice '80 Interstate a couple of months ago and spent the last couple of weeks reading the 1100 forum. You guys really know your stuff!

Anyway, getting to know the bike and I'll try to contribute. I think my first post will have to do with the HORRIBLE seat. Love the bike, hate the seat. As a primer I'd like a 1000 style (flat) seat on my '80.

I just wanna ride my machine and not be hassled by the man.

Attachments

• IMG_0689.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 130
The feel. It looks like the most comfortable seat on Earth! But to me it's not. I know about the adjustment. The close setting is way too close, the furthest setting doesn't allow enough room for the trunk-the rear of the passenger seat is up too high. And the gap between the tank and seat is too big. Even all the way back it's still not comfortable.

It's set in the middle now. It doesn't look like it but it feels like it's slopped forward.

I never liked stepped or King/Queen seats. Not the feel or the look. Prefer a good flat seat like a 60s Triumph Bonneville or a 70s Goldwing. I'm normal sized at 6ft and 195lbs.

Welcome from Clinton, John! You can, if you want to go to the trouble, remove cover and foam down to the pan and redo the whole thing as you like it. Use 3M spray contact cement like is used to attach headliners and build up layers of firm carpet padding (the glued-up shredded foam type). Cut with an electric carving knife (yard sale, flea market, eBay - NOT the wife's!) each layer to suit finish shape with a course grinder. You can still get GL1000 covers, I think. Or better yet find someone that does vinyl upholstery to sew up a cover. Glue and rivet or staple (rivet for steel, staples for plastic) the cover on, stretching while lightly heating with a heat gun. I don't recommend an eBay used seat as by now the foam is shot in most any that have seen use.

Thanks Pidjones, I like your idea. But I am still wondering if a 1000 seat pan, with maybe some mods (the front tongue and the 2 rear brackets that bolt to the frame) will bolt up and LOOK RIGHT.

I would like to keep my stock seat un-hacked up for the next owner some day and run a nice, flat, comfy seat (GL 1000) for now.

I see some of you guys have multiple wings of different generations. Somebody must know.

Welcome! If you have some skills in metal working I'm sure you can copy the mount plates on the 1100 and rivet them to a flat seat the proper length. Same with a tongue.

It's a little difficult to see in my pictures but this is a 1980 standard. It has the same seat you have on yours and as you can see the seating position for the driver and pax are very comfortable. If my pax was on the same level then he would not be able to see too much and would be just too close to me.
The stepped seat lends itself to the pax leaning back away from the driver.
You mentioned adjusting the seat but consider the other adjustments.
Look first at the gear and brake lever. They are adjustable. I found I had perhaps better way of getting it right is to adjust the pitch of the handle bars.
Then seat on mine is on the middle setting and there is no rocking so recheck the fitting. It easy to mis align.
Those chrome strips on the seat are a bitch to get over here.
The seat line in your picture flows well from front screen to back rack. Its a sort of wave flow line. Its a big part of the wings character. Be careful not to change this signature part of its look. It will end up looking like a sling back shoe otherwise.
cffa26d0c904c045d70ecfa8e02e80f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Just one more bit of advice: I had a '77 GL1000 over a decade ago. It had a K&Q on it when I purchased it, and I found that it tended to shove me up onto the shelter. I found a beautiful NOS stock seat that I replaced it with. My crotch was much happier, but my back ached after only 20 miles. An '86 SEi (with back rest) replaced that bike, and my back was relieved, but my bottom couldn't handle the worn-out 20 year-old seat foam. As long as the foam in your existing seat is adequate, you might just adapt to what you already have. Every sitter is different. There are fortunes made selling GL1800 seats, and yet I have 110,000 miles on my '06 and have always found it perfectly comfortable. Oh, and I still use the stock footpegs - no highway pegs.

Well thank you all for your replies and ideas, much to consider. I think I'll buy a trashed 1000 seat on eBay. Cut some new foam, re-cover it and fab the pan to bolt up. When I do I'll write a report with pics. Surprised it hasn't been done yet.

But it will have to wait for a while. Going to Daytona next week for Bike (trailer) Week. Yes I'm riding, solo. Gonna meet some friends in Georgia then head to the Sunshine state.

Johnny Boy":2u9zi3dy said:
Well thank you all for your replies and ideas, much to consider. I think I'll buy a trashed 1000 seat on eBay. Cut some new foam, re-cover it and fab the pan to bolt up. When I do I'll write a report with pics. Surprised it hasn't been done yet.

But it will have to wait for a while. Going to Daytona next week for Bike (trailer) Week. Yes I'm riding, solo. Gonna meet some friends in Georgia then head to the Sunshine state.
Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk