Dis-integrated brakes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveKamp

Reaction score
Hey All-

Okay, so on my GL1200, I've put 5k miles on it (it's at 17k now). The brakes were all gone through by previous owner at 10,000 miles (it sat for a LONG, LONG TIME).

Just for background, I'm a bicyclist... was a competetive cyclist for a half-dozen years, have over a half-million miles 'behind bars' pedalling, and I'm perfectly comfortable being locked into pedals, sitting still at a stoplight, maintaining my balance waiting for the light to change. I'm also very comfortable using nothing but the front brake... after all, when you're REALLY braking, that's where 100% of your braking effort comes from.

Many, Many, Many years ago (like... three decades ago) I swapped the front end of my CX500D for a GL1000 front end, and one of the major reasons I did that, is so that I'd have dual front discs. Obviously, it makes the pads last longer, improves heat dissipation, and finally, equalizes braking torque between the fork tubes, so the frontend's action is more 'supple' under braking.

Now, I knew from the git-go that the GL had 'integrated' braking, which I've never cared-for... as I prefer my braking to be totally independant- I choose when to use my back brake, so stepping on the pedal and having the front act is very unappreciated. Seein's how I"ll be putting a trailer hitch on it, the independant action of brakes under my bike's Anti-Lock Braking and Vehicle Stability System (who's processor is implanted between the driver's ears) is very, very necessary.

What is EXTREMELY unsatisfactory, is that the front caliper which is STILL active, is basically worn out already... and it wouldn't be, if it had a partner on the other side helping out... and of course, it'd have better fork slider motion.

I will be converting this to non-integrated braking, which will involve plumbing, and two master cylinder changes. The former, just intelligent application of common parts... the latter, requiring research. The front master cylinder will require greater bore. The rear, however, will require less.

Has anyone done a dis-integration (a divorce of braking?) already? If so, what master cylinders did you use?

Finally... for stock calipers, are there any preferences to brake pad type, brand, etc., for someone who's more than willing to grab the front binder with confidence? :fishin:

Well it is not a goldwing but my Blackbird had integrated braking. I installed a CBR F3 master cylinder on it and removed the extra line but again that is a different breed Honda though.

Gladly the GL1000 is old school biker controls.

Many prefer pure braking and have made changes to,make there bikes that way ...my opinion is that the 82 oldwing had the best set up as far as stock brakes go ...the last yr before linked brakes ...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203370#p203370:3lanczjg said:
joedrum » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:33 am[/url]":3lanczjg]
Many prefer pure braking and have made changes to,make there bikes that way ...my opinion is that the 82 oldwing had the best set up as far as stock brakes go ...the last yr before linked brakes ...
+1 :yes:

This has been discussed before and it is an interesting topic. Can be done and I would think that with new SS lines no need to change out the MC. The other issue is the caliper pistons are smaller on the right caliper than the left. The left caliper and rear caliper have the same size caliper pistons. Cheers

I’ve always liked the integrated brakes on my ‘83, however they do require applying both front and rear brakes to have a good “feel” while stopping and enough stopping power. It’s just my opinion, but I think this is how Honda intended the integrated brakes be used. Front alone on mine has always supplied pretty weak stopping power even with deglazed rotors and trying different pad compounds.
The bike used as a cruiser, integrated are fine IMO, but be extra careful on loose ground, gravel and such.

Yeah, I'm aware that the surface area ratios of the master and slaves may not be identical, and I understand that integrated braking's intent was in the guise of safety... but in my case, I'm my own ABS. All my others are independant, so this one will be too.

I'll certainly use new stainless lines everywhere, and both master cylinders and all calipers will be removed, and either rebuilt and re-used, or changed out for appropriate sizes commensurate with proper ratios and equal force. I like that fork to be equally loaded right and left, and I like a nice, crisp lever feel. I prefer to be able to feel the rotor's spin under my fingers and foot. I have plenty of strength, so a higher ratio (less caliper force developed by more lever force) is my preference.

If the caliper design and bores are not identical, then I'll probably look to an '82 caliper and master cylinder... and then adapt the bracketry if necessary.