She Runs! (1956 Chris Craft that is...)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The day started out Ok, until we reached Cape May with the rented RAM diesel pickup to tow the boat to the launching ramp and I realized that I forgot the keys to the boat back home. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :cheeky:

We did some work on the boat, drove home and got the keys (1hr 15 minutes each way).

As we first launched the boat, my Wife was climbing over the rail and we heard a splash? It was the keys from the rented pickup truck! :shock:

Luckily, there was a second key on the ring and it was only one of the two keys that fell off the ring (key snapped out of it's cover, Dodge Ram).

Then, she was taking great 1st pictures of the boat going into the water and us coming around into the marina for the first time. As I turned the boat in towards the marina, she was taking a video when she bumped an upright on the canopy and the phone flipped out of her hands. :oops:

We did say we were buying the boat to do things together. I just didn't realize that meant tossing stuff into the harbor while together on the boat. If this keeps up, it could get expensive real fast. :shock: :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203346#p203346:2fuamow4 said:
julimike54 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:04 am[/url]":2fuamow4]
Just make sure she doesn't toss you overboard :)
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Riding a motorcycle is looking much safer... :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203339#p203339:1yanf8ug said:
mcgovern61 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:31 am[/url]":1yanf8ug]
The day started out Ok, until we reached Cape May with the rented RAM diesel pickup to tow the boat to the launching ramp and I realized that I forgot the keys to the boat back home. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :cheeky:

We did some work on the boat, drove home and got the keys (1hr 15 minutes each way).

As we first launched the boat, my Wife was climbing over the rail and we heard a splash? It was the keys from the rented pickup truck! :shock:

Luckily, there was a second key on the ring and it was only one of the two keys that fell off the ring (key snapped out of it's cover, Dodge Ram).

Then, she was taking great 1st pictures of the boat going into the water and us coming around into the marina for the first time. As I turned the boat in towards the marina, she was taking a video when she bumped an upright on the canopy and the phone flipped out of her hands. :oops:

We did say we were buying the boat to do things together. I just didn't realize that meant tossing stuff into the harbor while together on the boat. If this keeps up, it could get expensive real fast. :shock: :smilie_happy:

You just cain't make this stuff up! :smilie_happy:
Happy Boating Gerry!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202968#p202968:89wa9go3 said:
desertrefugee » May 23rd, 2018, 7:59 am[/url]":89wa9go3]
Now THAT'S a boat and one I can appreciate. But, I can relate to hearing it run. My son recently traded into an Eliminator speedboat (1981) with a fresh 454 and Berklet jet drive. It had issues, electrical/steering/carburetor. It is not one I would enjoy, but it sure is his style. I've been working with him for over a month getting it sorted.

We did on Saturday. Fifteen gallons of gas in less than two hours:
[video]https://youtu.be/z-csCT2FpQM[/video]
Nice !had a 1984 Eliminator 19ft V-drive 3 speed auto , had it built new , scared my wife myself and lots of friends to death lol . LS 7 Big block ..What model is that ? Formula ?

'79 Sprint. (I was wrong about the '81 year). With apologies to Gerry for polluting his thread. Although at the rate he's going, he might be selling her soon! Seriously, I expect you'll have a wonderful season on the water. I think I speak for all of us when I say I'm looking forward to a few shots on the water.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203390#p203390:1qeoeu2x said:
Fstsix » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:04 am[/url]":1qeoeu2x]
Nice find ! cant wait to see the pics, Mahogany ?
Yes it is! I do have a few shots from towing her down from Connecticut:

image.php

image.php

image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203406#p203406:2tob1bc4 said:
desertrefugee » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:46 pm[/url]":2tob1bc4]
'79 Sprint. (I was wrong about the '81 year). With apologies to Gerry for polluting his thread. Although at the rate he's going, he might be selling her soon! Seriously, I expect you'll have a wonderful season on the water. I think I speak for all of us when I say I'm looking forward to a few shots on the water.
:smilie_happy: Don't worry about polluting the thread! It is in the "way off topic" forum anyway.

Nice Chris Craft ! everybody likes them ! sounds good too, prolly gets some key chain floaters lol, Was racing off shore boats for years.,Your not too far away , Narragansett bay and NY sound is my back yard, we are 4 miles to the coast ..I really need to get a boat project ..Enjoy !! , sorry about the Hijack ... :salute:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203414#p203414:34dcybjh said:
Fstsix » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:24 am[/url]":34dcybjh]
Nice Chris Craft ! everybody likes them ! sounds good too, prolly gets some key chain floaters lol, Was racing off shore boats for years.,Your not too far away , Narragansett bay and NY sound is my back yard, we are 4 miles to the coast ..I really need to get a boat project ..Enjoy !! , sorry about the Hijack ... :salute:
It’s like you don’t already have enough toys Greg!!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Finally! Some pics in the water:

image.php

image.php

image.php

We need to clean, sand, stain and varnish the brightwork from the rails up, but it will be fun!

In the running video at the beginning of this thread, I was not happy with the drop off when the throttle was blipped. Further investigation shows that the engine stall if put to idle and has a hard time re-starting after running. Coils, plugs, condensor are all new plus correctly adjusted. Carb on the other hand, rust and dirt in the lines.

Well, it looks like I am rebuilding my first updraft carb! What a monster it is. :hihihi: Looks pretty simple. The carb kit is only $29 including all Viton rubber. Plus, it is only one carb! :yahoo: (BTW, does this put me into the Single Carb Club?) :smilie_happy:

I know next to nothing about boats, though I have been out on a few and owned a 25 foot with a cabin for awhile. Took it out on the ocean a couple times.
Looks like a fun project Gerry!

It is fun, but my knees are really having a hard time crawling around the engine area to pull the intake manifold and the carb. It is too bad too because the ride to Cape May is only 1 hour 15 minutes and it is a great bike trip, but my knees can't take it right now and I really don't want to drop the bike.

I see my Ortho Doc on Thursday and might get them drained again. The reality is, the arthritis isn't getting better with age. :smilie_happy:

I am working on the carb right now. WOW, I thought old Goldwing carbs were bad. There was 3/8" of muck/mud in the bottom of the float bowl. All jets in various stages of clogging. Thank goodness for the ultrasound machine, it is getting a workout! (See, bike tools work on boats too!)

Looks like it is holding the water out pretty well Gerry. :smilie_happy: :salute:

Latest posts