What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203558#p203558:2mznshem said:
desertrefugee » Yesterday, 10:07 pm[/url]":2mznshem]
[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=203557#p203557:2mznshem said:
Ohara » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:09 pm[/url]":2mznshem]
I rode mine over a LARGE racoon. He came out of the long grass at the side of the road, no time to react.. The front end bottomed out with a bang and the bike wobbled at that was all. Thank goodness these are heavy bikes...... I pulled some fur of the bottom of the motor when I got to work...
I got lucky...

I had a similar experience with a possum once. GS1000 - still a heavy bike. Although I closed my eyes, gritted my teeth and prepared for the worst, it was pretty much a non-event. Barely felt it. But, I'm pretty sure that's not always the case. I was lucky too.
I'm pretty sure that's not how the possum would describe the encounter. :smilie_happy:

Rode my 87 to my parents house so I could take my mom to the hospital... it seems my dad decided to day dream while riding his Helix and lost control in a turn. Looks like it's time for the 75 year old to hang up his helmet...

The good news is, he only has some back and neck pain. The bad news is, looks like I am adding a slightly damaged Helix to my fleet. Not quite the way i wanted to get it.

Glad your Dad will be okay Brian. As for me. I haven't had time to fix any of my stuff. Been working on the 80 for the new owner and riding the Valk as much as I can.

This morning I worked on finishing up the trailer I built for it. Added boards both sides of the rail and hinged boards that flip down for loading. I've seen too many YouTube videos of guys dumping their bikes while loading them on trailers and pickups. This afternoon I pulled the Hunley's valve covers, re-torqued the head bolts, and reset the valves. Later I backed it out of the garage, warmed it up, and reset the carb balance. Seems a lot smoother now. Hope to get another short ride in tomorrow.

It was a rather warm day here, and after a week of field assignment, I'm back home, I decided to run errands, pick up some needed sundry items including, but not limited to:

2 oil filters (genuine Honda, for GL1200), two small bottles of DOT4 brake fluid (once opened, they absorb moisture fast, so better to get two smalls than one large). A set of spark plugs, one-gallon bottle of T5 15w-40 (because I couldn't find Rotella T6 in 15-40 anywhere), a throttle assembly for my garden tractor, a gallon of Trimec (weed killer), a pair of tennis shoes, a jack for my dad's utility trailer, and a 50lb bag of chicken feed.

And there's still room left.

Before I bought this GL, i was thinkin' something between an ST-1100 and a Suz DL-1000...
*I don't think either would have been quite as happy carrying this load...

Attachments

• KIMG0119 reduced.jpg
    KIMG0119 reduced.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 113
I have a hard time carrying much of anything on my current Goldwing. I did get it out for a solid breakfast cruise down to Maricopa this morning. Still cool from the early season monsoon storm we had yesterday. Nice ride.

...but only if I am not travelling. This motorcycle is not set up for errands or overnighters, that's for sure.

Luckily, I have a Phat Gurl for just such occasions.

IMG_5589 - Copy.JPG

LOL. I have some throw-over leathers, but they look like cr*p. I've done the backpack thing once or twice, but not crazy about it. I actually bought a pair of hard bags that I entertained crafting easy-on/easy-off brackets for. Decided against that, too, and sold them to a friend.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203656#p203656:3itau8mc said:
pidjones » Today, 4:50 pm[/url]":3itau8mc]
Backpack? That's how the sportbike guys commute.

My Blackbird with this very idea on it. I thought about adding Monokey side boxes and the shear expense kept me from moving forward on that idea these were a mere 40.00 USD and I used them more than the monokey rear trunk due to them sitting so much closer to the center of gravity. they were expandable and could do over 100.00 worth of groceries from Save-a-lot grocery store on that bike the way it was set up. Anyway.

Attachments

• Pick up Mode.jpg
    Pick up Mode.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 90
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203659#p203659:12lu4gxb said:
desertrefugee » 7 minutes ago[/url]":12lu4gxb]
Whoa! Still have the Blackbird?
I wish but sadly no. I sold it when I realized I had gotten myself into stupid debt and I lost my job at the time my favorite ride got sacraficed.

Never thought it would sound like that without the old horseshoe muffler on it' It sounds good though. And I like your Mod's. That bike sat way to much without being ridden much. Things just happen like carb's and brakes sticking. I'm glad it has a good new home. I really don't ride my 82 1100 or the 80 with the sidecar enough. And because of that (things) are starting to happen with them. I need to do something about that. Jerry

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203676#p203676:836o258k said:
jpwinger » 54 minutes ago[/url]":836o258k]
Never thought it would sound like that without the old horseshoe muffler on it' It sounds good though. And I like your Mod's. That bike sat way to much without being ridden much. Things just happen like carb's and brakes sticking. I'm glad it has a good new home. I really don't ride my 82 1100 or the 80 with the sidecar enough. And because of that (things) are starting to happen with them. I need to do something about that. Jerry

Don't make me come down there to Florida and make you ride. :hihihi: :moped: