Joe's new ride

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
Posting the pics for Joedrum, he will explain.

image.php

image.php

image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221664#p221664:1lyw3dom said:
dan filipi » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:44 pm[/url]":1lyw3dom]
Posting the pics for Joedrum, he will explain.

image.php

image.php

image.php
Well theres been big talk about gradulating to three wheels from two ..I decided to go with 4 with open copit if I want ..as the way to go .. I know Joel will like this choice he is a vette guy ...so am I ...totally American I really like the c4 vette like this one ..thete pluses are many ..in there day they ruled the road tracts ..took the Europeans years to catch up . this one is a 87 yr convertible it weighs in at about 3000lbs it has about 240 to and 350lbs torque motors were tuned for low end torque and it sure has that but not a lot of top end rpm power by today's standards ...EPA had the better really hamper ..but these c4 vettes really were quite the monsters under all the restrictions of EPA ...it's biggest plus is the handle and there low end torque makes them instant performer right off idle ...this one is 4 speed automatic and that's what I wanted ...you all your hands on the wheel and the auto trans needs no help to be.where it needs to be in my opinion ...this car 47000 miles on it ..it still has the original tires on it ..they all dated to 87 ..and they seem to have right at half the tread on them ..car been garage kept it whole life ..rubber on ariginal top is all good and it's quiet inside with top on ..top is ma de perfect it seems takes less than 30 seconds to deal with and totally disappears when down ..motor like brand new ...I love sport cars and have had a few ..I had a sumbean tiger...and a tricked fleeareo..tiger had a v8 the flee was a v6 ..both were dangerous as HELL when you lost traction cornering ..but this vette is the perfect sports car and dam safe ...and with the top down its got motorcycle mode ..I just love it I'd say this car got decades left in it .
.more storage on a wing than this thing I'm ok with that ...hope you like it ..I think it's a great investment and 3000lbs of fun

Nice Joe... I like the vettes. Between the vette and the stang they are the epitome of American muscle cars in the day. I was never keen on mustangs. Still aren't...
By today's standards I prefer either the dodge challenger or the Chev Camaro. Challenger in demon Form.
Now that we've stopped making Australian muscle cars.. No more ford or GM Holden we turn to the US for anything with a stinking big V8 in it. Sadly... We need a prime minister that can make Australia great again. We have all the resources to build our own stuff. But no... We ship our iron ore off to China or Korea and buy it back as motor vehicles.
The problem in Australia is GREED.
We could be leaders in the cannabis and hemp industry.. So much vacant land that we could make use of...
That's my rant.... He Joe.... Nice colour too bro... :)

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221668#p221668:15btuvj9 said:
dan filipi » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:47 pm[/url]":15btuvj9]
Hey Joe, is it fuel injected or carb’d? Any forced induction?

It's fuel injected Dan and thatsxa good point there right there looking at you ..this motor is really easy to work ..only thing I saw I bit difficult was bottom radiator hose..heck the whole hood and fenders lift up wheels brakes motor all right there ...

They have thete minuses like computer display dash you can't see in bright fla sun and most find them ruff rides and hard to get in and out of but I have no problem with that

Thanks for the comments

Thanks all ..like I do everything I've been looking at potential problems ..there's a few ..they seem to run very hot stock ... I went for a ride today sheesh love this car what a fantastic ride ... I really havnt done much but putter around

But I can tell this the best handling car I've ever owned ..in overdrive at 75mph the motor only turning 1800 rpm it's should do fine on a road trip mpg..the only mod I'm thinking about is the cooling system making it independent from the ecu ...installing a cooler thermostat and matching that with one of those fan on triggers that work by inserting in radiator core finns ..just thoughta right now and won't bigger up any of the stock gear and could put back stock easy
..anyway thanks guys and yes darrel I need away to take car with ..I did make a deal that mounts hooch right to that back of the bus lol

'Lectric fans on these.....
These car run hotter than "normal"....it's part of the emissions crap. However, they are also designed to withstand the hotter temps. The fans don't even come on until around 229-230*f. Trying to make them run cooler will mess with the fuel infection and timing, and also accelerate piston/bore wear. Best to leave it alone if you plan on using it as a driver. Just my opinion from many years experience with them. Your car, do as you wish... :whistling:

Here's a shot of my '85...

image.php

I second AApple - leave it stock, lest ye discover all the OTHER engineering intricacies...

"make Australia great again"

Someone ought'a make that a campagin slogan!!! :party:

The fans don't even come on until around 229-230*f.

230*f! :shock:

Any other engine I have worked on would be on the way to be cooked! Boy, that is a fine line for the coolant. A bit too much water and not enough coolant and you could be on your way to boiling pretty quick.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221698#p221698:1hrflskp said:
mcgovern61 » 9 minutes ago[/url]":1hrflskp]
The fans don't even come on until around 229-230*f.

230*f! :shock:

Any other engine I have worked on would be on the way to be cooked! Boy, that is a fine line for the coolant. A bit too much water and not enough coolant and you could be on your way to boiling pretty quick.
Joe will find out this summer :smilie_happy:

Leaving that thing to run that hot gotta make sure everything is in top shape, radiator, hoses, along with everything else that gets baked under the hood.

Well guys you know me this hot issue has already been address . it runs about 180 degrees now ...quite a bit of of things on vettes that are not really great...and some things that are are pluses ...mods done ..no thermostat ...vetts are very prone to have hot spots or better put air trap in motor ...the thermostat can be considered blockage from radiator and motor and it's about the highest area of the system ...with it open it keep air from being trapped in motor ...pluses the vette has to fans on radiator big ones front and back side ...both there are set at about way lower now I'm seeing 180 as average temp now still testing may adjust thermoswitch some ..but I'm well pleased so so far 50 degrees lower temps are huge numbers ...

Yup. My '85 will average around 225-230f in traffic. Scared the crap outa me back when we first got it, I have learned that that's just the way they're designed. Changing to a lower temp thermostat will NOT lower the operating temp either....it just allows the water to circulate sooner...coolant temp will STILL get to 220-230f.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221690#p221690:1xw5jyjb said:
AApple » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:34 pm[/url]":1xw5jyjb]
'Lectric fans on these.....
These car run hotter than "normal"....it's part of the emissions crap. However, they are also designed to withstand the hotter temps. The fans don't even come on until around 229-230*f. Trying to make them run cooler will mess with the fuel infection and timing, and also accelerate piston/bore wear. Best to leave it alone if you plan on using it as a driver. Just my opinion from many years experience with them. Your car, do as you wish... :whistling:

Here's a shot of my '85...

image.php

Nice car Joel so far I've noticed no power difference but I really havnt pushed this car much at all with the mods I've done ...funny thing is fla getting a winter blast for this time of year today ..with the tires all being original as sold I'm not doing anything much but safe driving ...another thing I'm thinking about is the mass air intake is heated with water through the radiator I'm thinking of by passing that to get a better cold charge set up but that not happening now just thinking about it ..one thing I like super well about the eco is with a piece you can buy you can adjust a whole lot of things ..like timing and shift points on tranny kind of like a c5 ignition for oldwings can be adjusted ...and the device is not that costly ...so I'm looking into that ...heck that would be great ..when I think about all the things I've done to others motors in cars I had a lot of work changing things to suit me ...and many times it several times to getum all working to perform there best ...I'm thinking theres some big power in this car as it is meaning I love the low RPM torque ....it's like sensible fast street car

One huge ? For you Joel I'm looking at tires and it seems BF Goodrich is the only maker of tires in the 255 16. Dose anyone use the 225 16. On these cars?...I was looking at one car red like yours but I just couldn't go past the convertible and how easy it is to deal with ...